PDA

View Full Version : Mad JDM dash yo!

Hazwan
08-28-2008, 05:18 AM
I got this dash for free from early 1gee from a friend of my father whos parting out his car for free.

Bad news is, it cracked. And the wiring is hacked to death.

But the good news is, it came with many cool JDM stuffs like remote side mirror controls and chrome trims around the gauges and vents. Sucks that someone tried to pry the mirror controls and broke the bezel. Not that I can't fix that with some fiberglass though. I still need to see what else he has for sale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00009.jpg

My plan is to dye the dash black and do whatever I can to hide the cracks to replace the one in my car, which is in even worse condition than this.

Also, what is that little light above 'Door' indicator?

A18A
08-28-2008, 06:08 AM
thats mad cool yo!

carotman
08-28-2008, 07:00 AM
The light could be an overheating light warning?

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Not that I can't fix that with some fiberglass though.

I find that Krazy Glue is the perfect, nearly invisible repair for most plastics. Just be sure to let it sit overnight so it can cure completely.

Those dashes crack like crazy. If it were mine, I'd try wood dough. It will hold stain and not be so hard (like Bondo) that you can't sand it. Unless you avoid all sunlight though, expect the cracking to continue. Your best bet might be simply to buy a cover and just keep them hidden.

Don't know for sure, but I'd bet that light is typical Honda safety overkill. It's probably really bright and accompanied by a very loud buzzer and comes on whenever the door is open or your safety belt unbuckled. Can't remember if mine had one.

Killer find.

2ndGenGuy
08-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Man, I saw that light in some pictures of some other 1geez the other day. I can't figure out what it could be.

Thats a cool dash though man! The chrome is bling around the gauges. I would love to pimp out my gauges with some chrome rings. They just add a touch of elegance to the dash. Those electric mirror controls are sweet too! Must be for the fender-mounted mirrors!

Also dig those heater controls!

Civic Accord Honda
08-28-2008, 10:05 AM
thats sweet ! :D now get to work making it mint again

Lil Mike
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
wow i love the gauges on that dash, so old school. hope you post some pictures when you start working on it :)

Hazwan
08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I find that Krazy Glue is the perfect, nearly invisible repair for most plastics. Just be sure to let it sit overnight so it can cure completely.

Those dashes crack like crazy. If it were mine, I'd try wood dough. It will hold stain and not be so hard (like Bondo) that you can't sand it. Unless you avoid all sunlight though, expect the cracking to continue. Your best bet might be simply to buy a cover and just keep them hidden.

Don't know for sure, but I'd bet that light is typical Honda safety overkill. It's probably really bright and accompanied by a very loud buzzer and comes on whenever the door is open or your safety belt unbuckled. Can't remember if mine had one.

Killer find.

Heh the thing is the original broken part is missing. I'll have to hack another good piece to fit the new one, that is if I ever wanted to keep the controls. I don't know if I like the fender mounted mirrors. They are nice as 'OMG rare JDM' piece but I don't think it will suit my car's theme.

Last time I found a mint dash with really tiny hairline cracks, where the cracks are bigger after few days being under the sun. Thanks for the wood dough tip. I might try that.

I did try fiberglassing over the old one but I think I need to take the old hardened vinyl off first, leaving only the foam as it cracks with the fiberglass over it lol. Anyone has experience with interior, especially dashboard fiberglassing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/IMG311.jpg

lostforawhile
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
the light might be a choke indicator,didn't the early cars have manual chokes? I know i had a 600 and it had a manual choke and a warning light.

Hazwan
08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
On my car with manual choke it has choke indicator next to the left turn signal indicator, which is missing in this cluster. I guess it has electric choke? Do 1g ever come with electric choke?

Also I forgot to post this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00012.jpg

Looking at the JDM brochure, that RRDOOR LOCK indicator is for the cable actuated remote rear door lock. Cool stuffs!

79cord
08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds exciting.

EL has manual choke, EK inc. JDM had automatic choke.
Didn't US/Canadian sedans also get the remote rear door locking (lock the kids in!)? Generally other EL didn't.

Could it also have the Full Auto 'Climate-control' air-con supposedly offered for the JDM?

I was also wondering about experimenting with one of my old cracked dash's, removing vinyl & fiberglassing & gluing new vinyl over the top, breaking the panel up into seperate panels like the 4th gen Civic to make the shapes easier. (entire dash temping but probably more difficult to fit). Also possily covering over/removing the center speaker grille & clock bezel (both of which can also become warped by the sun).

But I'm also tempted to re-arrange the radio heater area as well, relocating choke to outside of dash, move heater controls over & move radio up (standard size radio might fit better there?) with big cubby hole beneath. But I'll probably never get around to any of it.

Hazwan
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds exciting.

EL has manual choke, EK inc. JDM had automatic choke.
Didn't US/Canadian sedans also get the remote rear door locking (lock the kids in!)? Generally other EL didn't.

Could it also have the Full Auto 'Climate-control' air-con supposedly offered for the JDM?

I was also wondering about experimenting with one of my old cracked dash's, removing vinyl & fiberglassing & gluing new vinyl over the top, breaking the panel up into seperate panels like the 4th gen Civic to make the shapes easier. (entire dash temping but probably more difficult to fit). Also possily covering over/removing the center speaker grille & clock bezel (both of which can also become warped by the sun).

But I'm also tempted to re-arrange the radio heater area as well, relocating choke to outside of dash, move heater controls over & move radio up (standard size radio might fit better there?) with big cubby hole beneath. But I'll probably never get around to any of it.

Ah that makes sense with the choke.

What is that Full Auto 'Climate-control' air-con thing? Sounds cool!

I'd like to relocate my head unit away from the stock location as well as no head unit would fit properly in that opening and mount a single din pocket in there. I was thinking of 2g center console and mount the head unit there.

2ndGenGuy
08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah the US model sedans had the cable actuated rear door locks too.

I just noticed your mirrors, Hazwan. What are they? Not stock I take it? My hatch has the mirrors mounted on the sheet metal part of the door.

79cord
08-28-2008, 08:53 PM
"What is that Full Auto 'Climate-control' air-con thing? Sounds cool!"

I've only seen a reference to it on the Honda japan webite as having been added to the top spec Accord in '80 or '81.
My '89 CR-X SiR has it. So temperature & humidity sensors are included to try & automatically maintain a chosen temperature.
So when starting on cold mornings it opens the heater & turns on the fan full blast even though there's no heat to be had from a cold engine, & I want to add a lock-out on the Air conditioner too so I can just get fresh air!

Hazwan
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah the US model sedans had the cable actuated rear door locks too.

I just noticed your mirrors, Hazwan. What are they? Not stock I take it? My hatch has the mirrors mounted on the sheet metal part of the door.

They are generic aftermarket mirrors. Rattles at high speed and pretty crappy. I had to put those round convex mirror thing to get rid of the blindspots. I like the stock ones in black better, maybe I'll get a set of those someday. Or maybe retrofitting something newer (power folding mirrors anyone??)

79cord
08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Sorry I didn't get to see the pictures earlier.
I'm guessing a 1978 dash, ours had a slide instead of rotory heater fan switch after that... & no sedans before.
Never noticed before, the absence of the recess around the direction control lever my '79 has.

Is the chrome round the vents painted on? the '77-'78 grille "chrome" around the central air-intake opening within the grille was, before Honda added the separate die-cast metal trim to the '79's grille.

If the bonnet is rusted out you might still want its removable hinge pins. Saves removing the grille to unbolt the bonnet.

Hazwan
08-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Sorry I didn't get to see the pictures earlier.
I'm guessing a 1978 dash, ours had a slide instead of rotory heater fan switch after that... & no sedans before.
Never noticed before, the absence of the recess around the direction control lever my '79 has.

Is the chrome round the vents painted on? the '77-'78 grille "chrome" around the central air-intake opening within the grille was, before Honda added the separate die-cast metal trim to the '79's grille.

If the bonnet is rusted out you might still want its removable hinge pins. Saves removing the grille to unbolt the bonnet.

I'm pretty sure the only JDM 1g that imported here are he early ones, and I noticed JDM '81 model came with similar AC/heater controls with mine, with the exception we don't have heater installed.

The chrome vents are plated on the plastic. As for the bonnet, he junked the car already :( What a shame.

I never realized 1g came with auto climate control. I kinda like how the system works in newer Honda I sat on, but I found its pretty useless as I always keep the AC and the blowe in high and the exterior temp never drop enough for me to put the heater on lol.

haridev
09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
actually if you use some light abbrasive material and go over the a/c vents, you would realise that the chrome would appear from under the black paint. i realised this by mistake. it looks like an amazing dash and its a pity that the car itself has left the roads for good.

my stock 81' accord has both an electronic and manual choke. however i can count the number of times the manual choke has been used. regards, dev

regards, dev....

haridev
09-02-2008, 12:07 AM
yea, my accord has the light above the door indicator as well. however my older accord did not have it. it works weirdly and is rather dumb actually. when you open a door, trunk, or even if the brake lamp bulb is blown, the this light (orange) would light for about 5 seconds then it would go off followed by the door indicator lighting up. gosh! it was severly over-engineered...i think they found this pointless and decided to remove it in later accords. this feature ws also mentioned in the handbook.

i do not mean to hijack but by brake lamp indicator comes on for no reason once in a while. any ideas how to handle this issue? regards....

haridev
09-02-2008, 12:13 AM
and yea i was thinking. u ever used underseal before? it is a rubbersize paint used to paint the undercarriage for older cars and it has some anti-rust propeties. it is black in colour. those days people use to call this flint coat. you could get this paint from any hardware store.

anyway, since you are planning to paint ur dash black. you could use this flint coat to paint up the cracks in the dash as a filler. since it is rubberized, it could handle the expansion and contraction due to heat. give it a shot and tell me how it worked out. after filling the cracks, you could prep it for the final paint. i feel that you might have an excellent finish if you would try this. regards, dev

Hazwan
09-02-2008, 04:50 AM
yea, my accord has the light above the door indicator as well. however my older accord did not have it. it works weirdly and is rather dumb actually. when you open a door, trunk, or even if the brake lamp bulb is blown, the this light (orange) would light for about 5 seconds then it would go off followed by the door indicator lighting up. gosh! it was severly over-engineered...i think they found this pointless and decided to remove it in later accords. this feature ws also mentioned in the handbook.

i do not mean to hijack but by brake lamp indicator comes on for no reason once in a while. any ideas how to handle this issue? regards....

Ah that makes sense. Even the door, trunk lid and brake lamp indicators are useless IMO. The little lights on the car icon should be enough.

As for the brake lamp indicator coming on for no reason, I used to have the same problem and I assume the unit itself in the cluster is bad as I swapped another one and the light never comes on, except when the brake light is out lol.

Good idea with the rubberized paint. I never thought of that althrough I never actually used them. The underseal I used is tar based and its sticky and uneven. I might give the rubberized paint a try.

haridev
09-02-2008, 06:52 AM
i might not totally agree with you on the fact that the entire door/trunk/brake lamp cluster is useless as to me the only thing useless would be the little light on the top of it which flashes annoyingly for about 5 seconds. i find the cluster interesting as it is special to older accords. however it grew decreasingly smaller in the later generations till it finally dissappeared. besides, friends of mine who notice the cluster tend to be amazed by its function and the fact that it still functions. hehe.... guess i am a sucker for useless items/ frills.

anyway, as for the brake lamp indicator, my older accord use to have the same issue. my dad decided to run sum electric tape on the cluster to blind it off. hehe...cheap fix. in my current car, it seldom has the issue but when it comes on, all i need is to switch the engine off and turn it back on and it would be gone. a little dumb actually. sometimes i wonder if it was because i ran an auxillary brake lamp from the wiring or because of faulty wattage on the bulbs itself. regards, dev....

haridev
09-02-2008, 06:54 AM
and yea, my 88' merc hasnt got the little car icon or trunk lid indicator. all it has is the trusty dome light which comes on. that is good enough actually. i guess honda had to go the extra mile.

Hazwan
09-02-2008, 01:52 PM
i might not totally agree with you on the fact that the entire door/trunk/brake lamp cluster is useless as to me the only thing useless would be the little light on the top of it which flashes annoyingly for about 5 seconds. i find the cluster interesting as it is special to older accords. however it grew decreasingly smaller in the later generations till it finally dissappeared. besides, friends of mine who notice the cluster tend to be amazed by its function and the fact that it still functions. hehe.... guess i am a sucker for useless items/ frills.

anyway, as for the brake lamp indicator, my older accord use to have the same issue. my dad decided to run sum electric tape on the cluster to blind it off. hehe...cheap fix. in my current car, it seldom has the issue but when it comes on, all i need is to switch the engine off and turn it back on and it would be gone. a little dumb actually. sometimes i wonder if it was because i ran an auxillary brake lamp from the wiring or because of faulty wattage on the bulbs itself. regards, dev....

The extra indicator for 'Door', 'Trunk' and 'Brake Lamp' is useless IMO. The icons should be enough, like the one in newer Accords. And yes, many people amazed by the little lights telling which door is ajar, instead of one little light telling one (or more) door is ajar.

I doubt additional lamp from the wiring/bulb would make a difference. I tried swapping all three new bulbs, including the 3rd brake lamp and disconnecting the 3rd brake lamp as well.

tomatofiasco
09-03-2008, 01:46 AM
i think the general "theres a bomb on this bus" light that comes on is AWESOME because its a little lens like a brake light and looks cool.

if you dont know what it does you can pretend its a turbo light like in a pod racer and you have to hold forward on the control stick and then tab B and a circle runs around it and then BWOOOOOOOSH you are actually going as fast as you expected to without the afterburners.

anyone know what it means when the oil light comes on for a second then goes off again? happens mostly on drift mountain battling the redsuns.

2ndGenGuy
09-03-2008, 07:46 AM
My 81 has the same problem where the brake light indicator comes on occasionally. My guess would be bad grounds from the socket to the common ground wherever that is. Probably not enough juice getting to the ground for the light out system to know there is a bulb there. Probably also why I seem to get dimming lights when I hit the brakes.

79cord
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
My brake warning light used to come on occasionally also but would readilly go out after some wiggling of the bulb & socket, supporting the bad earth conclusion.

Low oil pressure light doesn't sound good, sometimes light oils or low idle speeds can cause them to come on though.

Plated dash vents makes me think of Dads Lancia Flavia whose plastic vents were plated gold for the wood panelled background of the dash.

Hazwan
09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
When I had the problem, I did everything I can from replacing new bulbs to replacing the ground. The problem goes away when I replaced the warning unit in the cluster.

haridev
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
well, my cluster did not work for 10 years then suddenly decided to work after i replaced the speedometer cable. this proves that the cluster is indeed very sensitive. however i suspect that there may be many factors which may cause this issue. the cluster itself maybe on of them but bulbs and bad grounds maybe another theoratical cause. anyway apart from an annoying red light on the screen i suspect that it shouldnt be all so bad. regards to all.....n hazwan...good luck on ur dash....

Dr_Snooz
09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
My brake warning light used to come on occasionally also but would readilly go out after some wiggling of the bulb & socket, supporting the bad earth conclusion.

The brake light sockets on my '76 had leetle plastic saucers with a hole in the middle of them. The saucers allowed the positive electrode to stuck through the hole and kept it from shorting to the negative side of the socket. Over time, the saucer turned to dust and blew away, leaving me with no brake lights.

Really easy fix. Really hard to find.

haridev
09-06-2008, 02:35 AM
i still do not get why the need for such a sensitive system. just dont need it...more automation = more complex. think simple...

Hazwan
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Finally!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00985.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00989.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00986.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00987.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00988.jpg

Sprayed with Duplicolor truck bed coating which suprisingly has similar rubberized texture to stock the stock dash. I'll see how it holds up with the cracks and all. Sorry no in progress pics :(

A18A
09-14-2008, 10:46 PM
wow that looks super sexy!!!!

Hazwan
09-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Defrost vents and glove box are done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00990.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00992.jpg

Waiting for the clock trim peice expoxied before I could paint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00994.jpg

BTW the dash isn't that glossy. For some reason it became glossy as hell with the flash.

AccordB20A
09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
did anyone figure out what that light may be that everyone thought was the choke, I reckon its a "Speeding" light that comes on when you go over 100km/h

2ndGenGuy
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Man that looks great! That chrome, just so sexy. Chrome + black = awesome! :thumbup:

Hazwan
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh yes they are sexy indeed! Still waiting to get my gauges done. It would look sexier with painted needles and blue LEDs. I wish I could do it in amber :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00015.jpg

haridev
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
hey hazwan. dude..... if i said i was in shock, would be an understatement. i loved the way the dash looked in the end. it looks brand new! do use tuff stuff for all the other plastic parts/ inserts in the centre console. and for the meters as well. i think it would really bring out the final finish! now i am jealous of ur dash. the chrome!!! dont be surprised if i break into ur car to steal ur dash! haha!

as for the light above the door warning cluster. i read an article which said its meant to flash for 6 seconds before indicating whether the trunk or doors are open or the brake lamp is blown.

cheers!!

p.s. do post pics of the progress

Hazwan
09-15-2008, 01:49 AM
lol its far from being perfect or new but its 100x better than what I have in the car right now.

I cleaned all the air vents and ducts and painted all misc plastic bits with Krylon Fusion plastic paint. Everything is cleaned one by one so it should be good :)

Can't wait to get rid of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00022.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00023.jpg

Well, I might redo this one as well and sell for profit lol.

A18A
09-15-2008, 01:53 AM
new dash ftw :)

Civic Accord Honda
09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
=O!!!!111 OMFG!! SEX!!! :bow:

Lil Mike
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
that looks amazing good work

Dr_Snooz
09-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow! That looks way awesome. Well done!

Civic Accord Honda
09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh yes they are sexy indeed! Still waiting to get my gauges done. It would look sexier with painted needles and blue LEDs. I wish I could do it in amber :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00013.jpg

[IM G]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC00015.jpg[/IMG]

do red leds :D :rockon:

Hazwan
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
do red leds :D :rockon:

I can't :( The gauge face has green thinggy under it instead of using green rubber stuffs on the bulbs. The only color that can go through the green are blue, green and white - which will lit up the gauge green :( Tried red and amber and it won't even light up.

Civic Accord Honda
09-16-2008, 01:42 AM
I can't :( The gauge face has green thinggy under it instead of using green rubber stuffs on the bulbs. The only color that can go through the green are blue, green and white - which will lit up the gauge green :( Tried red and amber and it won't even light up.

aw :( i know i could make my 3gee cluster light up red and it had the green in the lens too but they must have used a darker green in the 1gee :(

haridev
09-16-2008, 02:12 AM
hey man.....i too would like to turn my gauges blue. as for red i would encourage. the 1st issue is that like in the proton waja (Impian in UK) red gauges tend to be annoying when driving long distance. at least on the accord it can be dimmed. however it also has a lot to do with personal preference. as for me from what i noticed on the old E28 BMWs, old gauges with older bulbs tens to look dated after a while. well, do let me know how it turns out and remember pics!pics!pics!

regards, dev

p.s. happy studying and fasting

Hazwan
09-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Older pics of the blue LEDs (crappy pics)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/blue/DSC07943.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/blue/DSC07939.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/blue/DSC07948.jpg

Made my own faces later on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/3geez/DSC01559.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/3geez/DSC01560.jpg

Both are kinda dim and I'm going to use superbright blues this time.

Wish I could do it in amber as that would match the car's theme.

haridev
09-16-2008, 05:41 AM
well the sad thing with older cars, the lights in the meter cluster reflect of the faces of the cluster rather than from being coming out from the back of the cluster out. i hope you get it. anyway, i think that you should try to take a pic with the green OEM lamps in the cluster. but the white faces would look nice. however i really liked the white to yellow band on the speedo. if your not using the new cluster i might take it off your hands ;-) by the way all this is my dad's advice. do try the green, then if it doesnt work for you, go for the blue. i always though that the green dash lights were the signature for the old 1geez. remember pics pics pics....cya...

Hazwan
09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
well the sad thing with older cars, the lights in the meter cluster reflect of the faces of the cluster rather than from being coming out from the back of the cluster out. i hope you get it. anyway, i think that you should try to take a pic with the green OEM lamps in the cluster. but the white faces would look nice. however i really liked the white to yellow band on the speedo. if your not using the new cluster i might take it off your hands ;-) by the way all this is my dad's advice. do try the green, then if it doesnt work for you, go for the blue. i always though that the green dash lights were the signature for the old 1geez. remember pics pics pics....cya...

The lights on the top of the gauges are there just to lit up the needles as they wont lit up on its own. They do have regular bulbs at the back for the faces. The same design stayed for a while. I think they stopped it in 5g or 6g Accord/Hondas.

The problem now with 1g Accord, instead of using green rubber thingy (condom lol) the back of the faces are green colored thus making any color change nearly impossible. I'm bored with the green plus I want it to match my headunit (blue+red).

The cluster won't be finished until I went back for the holidays as I can't seem to find any electronics store over here :( I'll get the dash installed tomorrow morning though :D Can't wait!

2ndGenGuy
09-16-2008, 09:41 AM
I tried red LEDs in my car too, going with the whole red car, red interior, I thought red lights would look nice too. But yeah they just don't show up. My friend put red ones in his MR2, and they looked sweet. Even lit up the clear plastic needles. I'd love to put some needles like that in the car, but I think that would be a huge project in itself.

haridev
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
is that so?well i did not knwo any of that. well, as i said earlier, modifying a car is a work of art of the owner. and its always far more important that you like your own car rather than pleasing others. anyway, i do love the faces you did in white! how did you do it? its an amazing job dude! ur a truely talented SOB!

Hazwan
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
is that so?well i did not knwo any of that. well, as i said earlier, modifying a car is a work of art of the owner. and its always far more important that you like your own car rather than pleasing others. anyway, i do love the faces you did in white! how did you do it? its an amazing job dude! ur a truely talented SOB!

I scanned the original faces and edited them in photoshop, print and stick them to the original face. Heres couple more pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/forum/3geez/DSC01568.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/forum/3geez/DSC01682.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/forum/3geez/DSC01699.jpg

Looks pretty but can get hard to read in the dark. But it should be better if I used UV LEDs instead of blue. I never get around painting the needles in UV reactive paint and using UV LEDs. I couldn't find anybody selling UV LEDs that time.

Since blue wavelength is closer to UV (at least I thought so lol) anything UV reactive glows faintly with blue LEDs, and that includes white paper.

If I ever find UV LEDs I might do them again!

Hazwan
09-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Out with the old..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01002.jpg

Took out HVAC ducts to clean them while the dash is out. Smells fresh!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01005.jpg

In with the new!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01006.jpg

While its out I installed some sound deadening stuff I used back then at the firewall. No pics of them though.

Finally finished at night lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/jdm_dash/DSC01011.jpg

I have yet to finish the cluster, I'm reusing the old one for now until I get the LEDs finished.

Hazwan
09-20-2008, 06:07 AM
And yeah check out a video of my dome light delay I made while back. The light stays on for few seconds before it fades off. Adds a little touch of class lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtkc-nnnpBY

BTW mods, can you change the thread title to "My car update thread" instead? Now that I have few interior projects going on, I thought that would be a great idea to have my own update thread instead of making a new one each time :)

haridev
09-20-2008, 01:24 PM
very very nice job. i love it!!!! excellent! u truely have my respect. dun bother doing the rest of the car in black. my merc has the same config, black dash n beige, everything. however i plan to change the carpet of my honda to sum grey pieces. do u hv any spare a/c thermostats? i wonder if the thermostat of the ori jdm dash would fit. mine is a lil sensitive and tends to go off it touched at times.

i have an emblem meant for the dash stating HONDA. its in black with a chrome back ground. its a spare i have laying around. u can have it as a gift from me. regards, dev....

Hazwan
09-20-2008, 01:45 PM
very very nice job. i love it!!!! excellent! u truely have my respect. dun bother doing the rest of the car in black. my merc has the same config, black dash n beige, everything. however i plan to change the carpet of my honda to sum grey pieces. do u hv any spare a/c thermostats? i wonder if the thermostat of the ori jdm dash would fit. mine is a lil sensitive and tends to go off it touched at times.

i have an emblem meant for the dash stating HONDA. its in black with a chrome back ground. its a spare i have laying around. u can have it as a gift from me. regards, dev....

Sweet! I'm looking for the emblem as well! Original one from my car has broken into pieces while the one that came with this dash are missing, same goes with the last replacement dash.

By thermostat you mean the little temp control our local model has at the bottom of the dash near the driver? I could fix them. The potentiometer goes bad and only costs few Ringgits from the electronic store althrough mine has separate adjustment and AC on/off. I'd love to have the temp control from JDM dash but the circuits are different since we never equipped with heater.

My plans next are:

Get 2gee console and fit my headunit down there (I hate the stock place where the HU sticks out).
Put single din pocket in the current HU slot.
Paint the small trim on the door panel where it meets the dash.
Build my own A-pillar trims (both are broken!) with a gauge pod or two.
Get new floor mats.
Finish my blinging cluster.
More sound deadening on the floor (I never got around to finish them lol)

A18A
09-20-2008, 04:54 PM
oo that dash looks nice!

haridev
09-20-2008, 09:57 PM
the emblem. well mine dint break. but when i restored the dash, it seemed to have flaked off!!! hehe. the emblem doesnt look OEM but it does the job. wasnt cheap though! although it fits perfect into the slot. i havent had time to take pics of it.

anyway as for the thermostat, (temp control) mine works but the contact seems bad. its those moron mechanics/ accesory shop guys who max out the temp control the second they get into the ride. nut jobs! now if the themostat cuts of for no reason. if u touch it, she seems to be fine. annoying. i did the honours of fixing it in the middle position and binding it with electric black tape. hehe! it did the job of both fixing the bad contact and also against the dumbass mechanics. if you do have the guts, y could always open mine up n be my guest. least talk me through the process coz the a/c guy warned me tat if i break this thermo, im screwed for life in getting a replacement!

see if the centre console works from the 2g works on ur accord. i too cant stand the radio sticking out! i dun get these 1geez. apparently i read an article where it seems when honda's finished the 1geez they knew about the radio slot issue, but they dint bother to redo the hole for the radio, but instead developed a new radio that could fit!!! how sad!!

regards, dev

p.s. cant wait to start doing my interior as well.....

haridev
09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
yes the small trim panel might look good in black too. why dont you get some used a piller trims? i bet u could get some nice used one at ur place. floor mats cool.... but make sure u dont over do the bling. too much bling my turn out looking too cheap. will ask around bout ur p. steering set for ur accord. i bet u sum will snag it/em. u just might be able to reupholster ur seats with the $$$ u made.

regards, dev

Hazwan
09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I could fix the temp control for you, or if you could solder, its really easy, just replace the old potentiometer with the new with same rating. Its 1k Ohm if I'm not mistaken. I'll double check later.

I'm getting those generic plain black carpet floor mats, don't worry, no exessive bling here.

As for the A-pillar trim, last time I went to JY to get both of them broke into pieces the moment I touched them and I assume most of them suffers the same fate. I could build one myself though.

haridev
09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
it would be really nice if you could fix it for me but, u noe la...ur place isnt really next door. neway, who knows. hehe. do give me the details. i might get some radio repairer to do it for me. least, if he screws up i could put the blame on him. hehe. insurance! hehe well i have been luck with the A-pillar trims on both my 1geez. now that uv told me how brittle they are, il be a lil careful when opening mine. and yes, there are many fibreglass A-pillers that could go flush into the accord. i plan to get a new beige arm rest for my accord. the older arm rest was truely annoying when i had to use the seat belt or when i had to move the seat. newayz, regards, n tc.....hope to meet u during the break..

Hazwan
09-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Whats wrong with the arm rest?

And I forgot to mention I'll fit a center arm rest from whatever model that fit the 2g console and couple of USB port in it to charge my phone and handsfree :D Never seen anyone with USB charger build in yet.
And couple of blue LED for footwell lights, white LED dome light.
And... and.. ah crap so many plans, so little time, and money!

haridev
09-21-2008, 06:31 AM
the arm rest mounts get in the way of the safety belt locks. another issue is that the arm rest itself is too large and lays tends to cause resistance when i push the seat forwards or backwards. its a generic piece. if i can find it its urs. sadly i have a feeling that i threw it out. :-( anywayz, if the 2g centre console works, i too mite go for it myself. hehe. u use to use k750i? i use a k800i. wonder if uv changed it yet. regards, dev

JOSEAMOY
09-22-2008, 04:49 AM
wooouuhh!!!! Good job!!!!

MessyHonda
09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah the new dash looks good.

2ndGenGuy
09-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Woah I didn't see those pics. Man that dash looks brand new in there! Looking spiffy. Also, I want that pocket that goes under the glove box! Also, how did you do the dome light fade? I want to do that too!!

haridev
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
no dude, as my dad mentioned when he saw the pics how how hazwan painted his car in his backyard in a show car like finish he wanted to meet him. after he saw the work he did on the dash he really wants to meet him!!! no sane human could do such amazing work (I mean this as a compliment) it takes lots of guts and brains to do such things.... well i guess i have met the malaysian chip foose....hehehe

Hazwan
09-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Woah I didn't see those pics. Man that dash looks brand new in there! Looking spiffy. Also, I want that pocket that goes under the glove box! Also, how did you do the dome light fade? I want to do that too!!

I built the circuit from here: http://sound.westhost.com/appnotes/an004.htm

no dude, as my dad mentioned when he saw the pics how how hazwan painted his car in his backyard in a show car like finish he wanted to meet him. after he saw the work he did on the dash he really wants to meet him!!! no sane human could do such amazing work (I mean this as a compliment) it takes lots of guts and brains to do such things.... well i guess i have met the malaysian chip foose....hehehe

lol my paintjob is far from being perfect. Can't take all the credit for it though, my dad is the one that sprayed whole car, I can only do small panels or primer as I'm scared to mess up the paint, and the paint isn't cheap! I can do the rest of bodywork though. I think I am confident enough to spray the color this time. I'm redoing the quarter panel this semester break as there are couple of rust bubbles coming up and its getting bigger!

And.. the dash isn't that perfect either. I think I can see one tiny crack coming up today. But at least its 10x better than previous faded and cracked dash. And being black, its easier to touch up/cover up the cracks.

2ndGenGuy
09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Man I was looking at the dash in my hatch today. I noticed that I don't have the cool colored bars representing temperature. It just says "HOT" and "COLD" mine also just says HEAT VENT HI-LO, etc. Kinda lame looking compared to yours!

haridev
09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
my current accord has the cool coloured bars as well. its something like its blue on the left and right on the right hand side. i believe it was meant to be the heater to thermostat control for the a/c system on the jdm accords! our local model accords (malaysian spec) accords had a separate round knob thermostat under the radio tucked behind.... hence though cool but the bars serve no purpose to us. my 81' accord that got totalled before this did not have these bars! i think it was a slightly newer model than the one i have got now. so i think you dont have to worry....but you could always check the older model dashes and who noes u might get the 'cool coloured bars.'

i have a feeling hazwan might be already thinking how he could make those bars functional and in a while he might post some picks to prove he is just that good....heh

Hazwan
09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
my current accord has the cool coloured bars as well. its something like its blue on the left and right on the right hand side. i believe it was meant to be the heater to thermostat control for the a/c system on the jdm accords! our local model accords (malaysian spec) accords had a separate round knob thermostat under the radio tucked behind.... hence though cool but the bars serve no purpose to us. my 81' accord that got totalled before this did not have these bars! i think it was a slightly newer model than the one i have got now. so i think you dont have to worry....but you could always check the older model dashes and who noes u might get the 'cool coloured bars.'

i have a feeling hazwan might be already thinking how he could make those bars functional and in a while he might post some picks to prove he is just that good....heh

Haha I've thought of that but finding potentiometer that works with the slider would be hard :(

Those cool colored bar came only with cars with AC IIRC.

79cord
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
"Those cool colored bar came only with cars with AC IIRC."

Nope. Standard on ours even without AC.

Just an indication of which way to slide the lever to open up the heater tap. Though our AC didn't usually have any temperature control.

haridev
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
our malaysian temperature control for the AC was a separate unit and looks more like an add on. it seems simple though. its just a simple round knob like an old volume control with numbers if i remember right 1 to 5. hazwan do jump in to correct me if you can. its a chrome knob with a black face and the whole unite is a black box. i really wonder why the honda dealership in malaysia didnt just fit the sliding temperature control like all other temperature controls on japanese cars in its day. i suspect it must have be a cost saving idea. but seriously???

hazwan, why not get the sliding temperature control from the old nissan sunny? im sure it would fit well into the compartment meant the temperature control. and since you already have the control from the jdm unit you could retrofit the lever from ur jdm dash onto the sunny assembly. might work right? regards, dev.....

Hazwan
09-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah I hate the location of the temp control. Like I said before, the AC controller must be different with the model fitted with heater and they seem to fit whatever they can I guess. Also there seems to have "Kah Cool" sticker stamped all over the AC system, which means the local dealership are responsible for this BS. Also, the heater box or whatever you call it is slightly different without holes for the heater hoses.

As for retrofitting the Nissan slider, if it has the potentiometer of same value with the Accord, I don't see why I can't fit into mine.

haridev
09-27-2008, 02:31 AM
hie, well nissan sunnys are cheap cars and parts are everywhere. wouldnt hurt to open one up. anyway, yes the BS kah cool rubbish does got on my nerve. everything looked clean except that. mine too has it all over. sometimes wonder if i should have painted over it. the dumb temp control looks as though we modified it onto the car or something. 1k Ohm you say? well i might just get to fixing it this holiday. thanks for the info though. to try out the nissan part, i would but i guess im not man enough in comparison to you when it comes to these things. hehe... well, i might call you when i get back tomorrow just to see how things r working out. and do drop my place if ur in ipoh. regards, dev....

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2008, 11:22 PM
How is that dash fix holding up, Hazwan? I'm really interested to hear how the repair went. :D

Hazwan
09-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Still fine for now, I'll see how it held up with the car being left under the sun.

2ndGenGuy
09-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Tempting to get one of those windshield sunblocker things that people put up when they're parked. Would be worth it for these old interiors...

Hazwan
09-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Tempting to get one of those windshield sunblocker things that people put up when they're parked. Would be worth it for these old interiors...

Thats what I have but I get lazy to put it on sometimes.

I'm getting my car tinted someday :D

Hazwan
10-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I bought this cheap aftermarket armrest and tried to fit on the stock center console. Its a little high, won't fit properly between the seats - blame the lude seats lumbar/bolster adjustment knob on the side. But eh, it fits for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01134.jpg

Storage which I'll put couple of USB charger inside.. and LEDs :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01129.jpg

A little ghetto, but I'm getting 2g center console and fiberglass both armrest and the console later. And ignore the peeling vinyl. I'll rewrap it after everything is done.

And my LED dome light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01137.jpg

Unfortunately it won't work with my dimmer circuit. I'll get it sorted later.. I have final examination tomorrow and here I am today still working on my car!

Civic Accord Honda
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
looks good!

Hazwan
10-06-2008, 04:30 AM
double post

Hazwan
10-06-2008, 05:39 AM
More rice!

Bought couple of LED strip to do the cluster lighting in blue. Using LED strip is better than stock replacement bulb with LED as the light is evenly spread out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01138.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01139.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01142.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01140.jpg

The strip is too long, plus the fuel/temp gauge needs lighting too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01146.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01148.jpg

Some fine tuning needed to get rid of the hot spots.

If it wasn't for that gay green filter build in the gauge faces, it should be bright!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01149.jpg

Since my JDM speedo has yellow mark after 100kmh, it won't lit up properly like the others. I'll swap with the one I already have now. Still need to do the top lighting in UV LEDs and paint the needles in UV reactive paint. I'm thinking orange, what do you think?

2ndGenGuy
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Sweet! Glowy orange would kick ass. I like those LED strips, I don't know that I've ever seen those before, definitely going to look into that down the road. My 84 has that problem where the blue just doesn't light up all that bright. I think the solution is just MOAR LEDs. Lots and lots of them!!!!!! Maybe you should put a couple red or orange LEDs behind those other dots on the speedo where they turn orange.... That would look pretty bitchen too.

Hazwan
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Too bad ed or orange LED won't go through the green filter :( White LEDs do work though.

Brightness wise, its similar to the last setup, but there are no hotspots. I can imagine without the green filter, the cluster would be stupidly bright! I'm building driver circuit for the LEDs this time instead of relying on the resistor to limit the voltage/current to the LEDs so they could last longer.

codyJDM
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I bought this cheap aftermarket armrest and tried to fit on the stock center console. Its a little high, won't fit properly between the seats - blame the lude seats lumbar/bolster adjustment knob on the side. But eh, it fits for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01134.jpg

Storage which I'll put couple of USB charger inside.. and LEDs :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01129.jpg

A little ghetto, but I'm getting 2g center console and fiberglass both armrest and the console later. And ignore the peeling vinyl. I'll rewrap it after everything is done.

And my LED dome light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01137.jpg

Unfortunately it won't work with my dimmer circuit. I'll get it sorted later.. I have final examination tomorrow and here I am today still working on my car!

Is that an EF Civic Si steering wheel? Everything looks bad ass :thumbup:

Hazwan
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes its EF Civic steering, but not sure with that being Si model. I'm replacing the wheel with something else someday. The horn button is broken, plus it looks out of place with the interior.

87roach
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice work man, can't wait to see if finished up.

Hazwan
10-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Its done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0018.jpg

More coming soon!

More pics of the interior.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0022.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0025.jpg

My mad tyte Mugen shift knob.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0028.jpg
(yeah its a fake, I don't care lol)

Blingin' chrome bezel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC_0030.jpg

Hazwan
10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
The difference between 78 and 81 cluster:

'78
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01152.jpg

'81 - you can see how the bulb location on the PCB didn't line up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01153.jpg

I have to rip up the LEDs I made yesterday in the 'test' '78 cluster and put it in my '81:banghead:

2ndGenGuy
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Gotta love all the little differences!

87roach
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow man! Love'in the new lights, they look great. Along with the black dash, I think your right about the wheel being out of place though. Can't wait to see the whole interior black!

2ndGenGuy
10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh hot damn, I didn't see those pics of it finished earlier. That looks great man! Those chrome rings look so classy! And the blue just looks mad tyte! Along with the UV needles man nice work!

The black trim around the inside of the gauges look great too. Mine are grey and it doesn't really go with anything at all. Wonder how that would look with a nice faux-carbon fiber wrap. Just to spice it up a bit. :D

lostforawhile
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
there are a lot of nice aftermarket wheels out there that will fit a grant hub, the hub adaptors are easy to find. grant has some classy wheels, but most other aftermarket wheels fit the grant hub.

Hazwan
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Gotta love all the little differences!

Theres a lot more, most are tiny little differences. I just can't see the reason why they did that.

Wow man! Love'in the new lights, they look great. Along with the black dash, I think your right about the wheel being out of place though. Can't wait to see the whole interior black!

Thanks! The wheel feels great though.

Oh hot damn, I didn't see those pics of it finished earlier. That looks great man! Those chrome rings look so classy! And the blue just looks mad tyte! Along with the UV needles man nice work!

The black trim around the inside of the gauges look great too. Mine are grey and it doesn't really go with anything at all. Wonder how that would look with a nice faux-carbon fiber wrap. Just to spice it up a bit. :D

You're giving me ideas! I agree on the grey being out of place, and thats the reason I painted it black. Goes well with the chrome.

Man I'm slowly ricing my car :(

there are a lot of nice aftermarket wheels out there that will fit a grant hub, the hub adaptors are easy to find. grant has some classy wheels, but most other aftermarket wheels fit the grant hub.

I was thinking of 3g lude wheels or maybe those eBay Momo/whatever fake wheels to go with my mad tyte shift knob :D

2ndGenGuy
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Man I'm slowly ricing my car :(

Negative. Your car is clean, and well done. Custom != Rice.

lostforawhile
10-07-2008, 05:54 PM
well i'll have a mad aircraft dash lol

Civic Accord Honda
10-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Ludeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Wheeeeeeeeelllllllll!!!!

79cord
10-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Great to see the effort & progress, & looking good.
Are you going to go with black and grey door trims to tie the dash & seats togeather?

I'm actually thinking of doing a steel grey, smoothed heater/radio control panel to match the cluster panel & my "wood"/steel 1g civic steering wheel.
But might pick up on the scanned/printed gauge idea to do my Lancia gauges in body colour (Yellow - really early ones were available in pumpkin, mine're boring black), or even Red to match seats. The black gauges do look less 'rice' though than white.

Must get around to wiring up some LED's myself for more discrete side-indicators & licence plate lamps (now that I got rid of my Preludes plate lamps -which by the way will probably be getting a late 2g Accord s/wheel). (Been buying cheap chinese LED torches as being cheaper than local electronic stores).

A18A
10-08-2008, 03:00 AM
ooo good work on the interior!

81vintyminty
10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Negative. Your car is clean, and well done. Custom != Rice.

JUST SAY NO TO RICE!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE CARS ARE CLASSIC HONDA'S, a ricer style should be kept FAR away from these somewhat rare hondas !! they should be restored/ left alone or tastfully modified dont you think? maybe im the only one that feels that way?.. ive admired this accord for a few years before i joined this site (actually motivated me alot to start working on my 1g $300 beater) and you did a great job bringing your 1st gen back to life with clean unique settle changes not to mention the attention to detail was on point!! you dont see that very often on these 1g accords....... . . hate to see your accord go down the wrong path... just speaking my mind guys and not hating at all...

2ndGenGuy
10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree. That's what I was saying. Just because something is custom though, doesn't mean it's rice. I think Hazwan has done a great job keeping it clean and classy without the rice.

Though I think he should get those Prelude seats recovered in beige, with similar fabric to the rear seats to match the rest of the interior, that would be great. A black and beige combination is classy.

What about black along the tops of the door panels to tie the dash into the rest of the car? Just above the chrome trim up to the windows. I think that would look pretty good too. A lot like the black / tan interiors in the 3rd gens... I simply love that look.

Hazwan
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Don't worry, when the whole interior is complete, the won't be anymore rice. Althrough I think that shitty shift knob and blue LEDs screams rice!

I've thought of doing 2 tone in black + beige, I always love the combination. All black just look meh to me, at least not on older car interior. But don't know yet.. I need to recover the rear seats or find a replacement in better condition first and once I take care of the armrest fitment, it should look factory :)

Hazwan
10-17-2008, 01:59 AM
LEDs done on the AC controls. Well, not exactly done, still need to take care of the hotspots and add couple of red LEDs for the red bars

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01202.jpg

More coming up!

2ndGenGuy
10-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Woah looks sweet! I wish my 1gee had the color bars that light up. There are only 2 lame little bulbs in mine that light up the wording and that's it.

Hazwan
10-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Got my 2g console today. Can anyone tell me WTF is this? It says "Electronic Navigator" up front with all Japanese writings on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00030.jpg

Of course I didn't hack that up. Got another cassette holder and this is pretty much how my head unit will fit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00031.jpg

The headunit will sit flush with the panel. Its not done yet, of course. Fiberglassing work coming up.

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2008, 04:42 AM
I have no idea what that is, but it looks cool! I'd say some kind of gas mileage/fuel efficiency, average speed kind of thing. It looks like you are missing the relevant display to make it useful though. :(

lostforawhile
10-18-2008, 05:41 AM
don't let anything happen to that, I believe you are right on what it is, you can also contact the honda mueseum in japan and ask them, also didn't we have a japanese member? maby he could translate. I'm thinking thats part of one of their navigation systems, it's not the electro gyrocator, it used microfitche,but they did have some cassette based systems.

Hazwan
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I've googled around and heres the translated page:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honda.co.jp%2Ffactbook%2Fau to%2FACCORD%2F19810922%2Findex.html&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

If only I have all the wiring and all related stuffs. Its cool and so mad tyte JDM yo! :D

Hazwan
10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
sheesh double post

2ndGenGuy
10-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I want that for my car! Gimme! :) That's totally badass!

Looks like you need the proper clock though to get any data out of it.

haridev
10-19-2008, 12:04 PM
ohhhh..i have seen that before. it was in my teacher's old 82' honda vigor. he told me it was a navigator. some sort of japanese GPS system which was introduced into hondas. that was a long long time ago. it is totally useless in malaysia and other places. i guess it was only meant for japan. sigh.. he said it use to made weird sounds and have weird light that would come on and off. he said the light looked cool but the sound was truely annoying. one day, he had a bad day in school. the navigator made too much noises and he took his scissors and went behind the dash and hacked the wires going to the navigator. that was the end of it.....buhuhu

Hazwan
10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I want that for my car! Gimme! :) That's totally badass!

Looks like you need the proper clock though to get any data out of it.

$20 + shipping and its yours :D

And yea sucks about needing other parts to get it working. I think I might be able to find the harness+clock in the same shop..

ohhhh..i have seen that before. it was in my teacher's old 82' honda vigor. he told me it was a navigator. some sort of japanese GPS system which was introduced into hondas. that was a long long time ago. it is totally useless in malaysia and other places. i guess it was only meant for japan. sigh.. he said it use to made weird sounds and have weird light that would come on and off. he said the light looked cool but the sound was truely annoying. one day, he had a bad day in school. the navigator made too much noises and he took his scissors and went behind the dash and hacked the wires going to the navigator. that was the end of it.....buhuhu

Its not GPS, but trip computer that can be seen in today's cars. It has fuel consumption, mileage, remaining fuel, travel distance, average speed and vehicle speed warning thinggy. I don't know why it would make annoying noises.. perhaps telling the driver going too fast or something?

A18A
10-19-2008, 02:58 PM
wow that things way cool whatever it does! lol

2ndGenGuy
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
$20 + shipping and you think you can get the clock and harness? Yes consider it done!

Hazwan
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
$20 + shipping and you think you can get the clock and harness? Yes consider it done!

No promise. I saw complete center console+some tiny bits and pieces from the same car same interior color and all, I think the car itself is recently parted out. I *might* be able to ask them if they still have the harness+clock.

haridev
10-19-2008, 10:54 PM
$20????? wonder how much you got that console for hazwan ;-) hehehe.... nah kidding. its a collector's price when you hard to find parts such as those. also, john, if its a done deal for the navigator, i have another find that i think you might be interested in. i found a 2gee jdm steering wheel with the radio controls on it. wonder if you might want it. sadly i suspect that you might need the original pioneer radio for them to work. but it does look real cool. if hazwan is closing the deal with you, do lemme noe. il pass the wheel to hazwan as he plans to drop by my place this weekend.

well, my teacher sold the whole vigor for just RM1800 about 4yrs ago. i offered him RM1500, he said he wouldnt mind but feared i couldnt source parts. buhuhu.... now i wish i had bought the who car and sold the parts off it... it was a cool car to restore. rather straight body with its original paint. faded though.... i just loved its honeycomb grill..... its all the past now...buhuhu....

2ndGenGuy
10-20-2008, 06:33 AM
What!!!! Radio controls in a 2nd Gen wheel? Hell yeah I'll take that too! Would you happen to have the slip ring that goes with it? Do you guys think you could hang on until the 1st of November? That's when I get paid, I just spent every last dime I had putting a roof on my house... :-(

Hazwan
10-20-2008, 06:40 AM
No problem. You want the bumper lights as well?

As for the wheel, I've thought of using any steering wheel that fit with integrated radio controls, and solder the buttons to normal infrared remote control. No slip rings, wiring or have the compatible radio to go with it. Shouldn't be that hard to do. Theres plenty of room inside the horn button.

haridev
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
nah! thats cool. the s. wheel isnt in that great a shape. just that i found those buttons interesting. i hope some soap and water could clean it up, but somehow i doubt this. anyway i havent asked the price, bt judging by what i paid for my wheel it should be around USD$18. i would advice you to REALLY think this true. but if your insistant, and if hazwan is willing to wait. il get it this december when im back in malaysia for my christmas break and il pass it to him when i meet him. no promises.... anyway, for now just drool on your new 'navigator'...hehe....

also, im not really sure if they really were radio controls. but i suspect that they are just normal USDM stuff as many other posts have the same s.wheel setup. fyi. the wheel i found was beige...i think i saw a grey one as well. cant remember. i did look something like this wheel:

http://data.manageyourdealership.com/powersite/carpicture/Allen%20Turner%20Hyundai/multiple_120807_2.jpg

i wanted to fit it to my accord as the 1g EX-L S.wheel looked pretty beated. but since i found the centre piece, able to be removed, i figured...nah...il keep her stock... neway, do educate me on what the controls are (right side of wheel)?

2ndGenGuy
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah. Those are for the cruise control. One makes the car accelerate, the other makes the car slow down. I've got those now. :-)

2ndGenGuy
10-20-2008, 02:01 PM
No problem. You want the bumper lights as well?

As for the wheel, I've thought of using any steering wheel that fit with integrated radio controls, and solder the buttons to normal infrared remote control. No slip rings, wiring or have the compatible radio to go with it. Shouldn't be that hard to do. Theres plenty of room inside the horn button.

Oh man yes, I would love the bumper lights. Do you have the corner markers as well? I'll take the chance that customs might not let it through. Especially if it's only $20...

Hazwan
10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Corner marker like the one on my car? I thought they are the same?

Anyway, test fitted the 2g console, I need to fabricate the brackets, but knowing Honda being so gay with changes between the years, I'm suprised to see it fits like it were meant to be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01204.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01205.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01211.jpg

What do you think of my new power window switch location?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01208.jpg

And I'm busy with this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01210.jpg

If you remember some dumbass hit the quarter panel earlier this year and theres a huge rust bubble under the fuel filler door forming up, and apparently the metal has rusted through, leaving huge hole and I have to get it fixed before it eats through the whole panel lol. I was in a hurry that time to get the car fixed, and my prepping/bondo job are kinda sloppy. Plus the paint didn't match that well, and I'm blending the paint with rear door this time. I have plenty of time this time around.

2ndGenGuy
10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Damn you are busy busy! I do like the power window switch locations. Are those Audi / VW switches? Always loved those. Love the light click feel as opposed to the big chunky feel of the Accord. Though, I'm sure the Accord ones hold up a bit better. :D

I'm really surprised how well that center console fits in there... I may have another use for my extra console.

A18A
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
looking really good!!

Hazwan
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Damn you are busy busy! I do like the power window switch locations. Are those Audi / VW switches? Always loved those. Love the light click feel as opposed to the big chunky feel of the Accord. Though, I'm sure the Accord ones hold up a bit better. :D

I'm really surprised how well that center console fits in there... I may have another use for my extra console.

Those are aftermarket swtiches. And yeah it looks so much like European car switch. I'd love to use BMW switches (E30 style and the like), but I don't feel like spending that much lol.

Hazwan
10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Brackets done and mounted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01213.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01214.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01217.jpg

New black carpet next! (And more electronics+LEDs!)

And quarter panel almost done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01218.jpg

Shaved the keyhole for the fuel filler door while I was at it:D

79cord
10-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Brackets done and mounted.

Shaved the keyhole for the fuel filler door while I was at it:D

I was just thinking you might while you were at it!

I remember looking at 1g integra releases & thinking they might fit straight on... I used the door opening spring but '79 didn't have the same hole for the release so I had modified a Mazda 626 item to fit through a bolt hole...

haridev
10-21-2008, 07:13 AM
you know what. i am really gonna kill you!!! your centre console looks awsome!!!! i am so gonna do the same with my accord. how much in RM was it? did you have to cut it much during its test fit or was it just that perfect? seriously it looks perfect! i really hope to do the same or at least pull the similar stunt with my 1gee. i absolutely love it!!! do you know which year model that 2g centre console came from? was it an EK/ES? love it bro.... no more word....

also, i wanted to as if you still have the cover for the handbrake lever on you old console. mine is cracked! i you are not using i might wanna take it off your hands....bt its nt that urgent though....

still dude... that console ROCKS!!!

haridev
10-21-2008, 07:27 AM
as for your fuel cap, i dont know if you would agree with me on this but you could get the stuff from the hardware shops are use for cabinet doors. the stuff where if you press it once you it opens and another time to close.... it might look lame but it think its very very functional. beats prying it open with ur key when you wanna gas up. as for the cap, you could always use the lockable caps. i know volkswagens have the same caps that could either be locked or not. try to look around for those. regards, dev

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
LOL @ dev always wanting to kill people! Be careful Hazwan when you meet up with that guy. ;) Maybe that guy in his sig is the guy he killed and took his Accord!!! :p

I do like that idea though on the fuel door. Click it to pop it open. Click it again to shut it. Very cool idea!

haridev
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Hahahaha.... well if life were just that simple. killing the person and taking his car..heh.. in hazwans case, i would love to take his car but its more his brain im interested in. he has some awesome ideas!! hehe... i feel so hannibal lector. Nah.... its nice to know someone who has the gets to take something good and make it great. hazwan has a talent in doing such.... too much of a wastem to waste him just yet...hehe.. neway john, the guy in the pic is my dad and he is very much alive. i thought il take a pic of him and the car as it was him who kept and maintained the old girl for the past 10years. i only used her now and then till recently. dont worry hazwan and john, im still at medical school now, would only be home during the christmas break. hazwan would be meeting up with my dad at my place in my absence. lol....no worries guys...hehehe.....

fyi it was a real good one john....

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Hehe. Medical school... So you know how to surgically remove brains before you eat them? Hahahah... Just playing with ya.

Hazwan
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I was just thinking you might while you were at it!

I remember looking at 1g integra releases & thinking they might fit straight on... I used the door opening spring but '79 didn't have the same hole for the release so I had modified a Mazda 626 item to fit through a bolt hole...

I still need to figure out the spring. Remote release cable shouldn't be a problem. I'll use solenoid+button instead of running cables all the way up front and mount the release lever. For now I'll pry it open with my nail lol. The key never works before anyway.

you know what. i am really gonna kill you!!! your centre console looks awsome!!!! i am so gonna do the same with my accord. how much in RM was it? did you have to cut it much during its test fit or was it just that perfect? seriously it looks perfect! i really hope to do the same or at least pull the similar stunt with my 1gee. i absolutely love it!!! do you know which year model that 2g centre console came from? was it an EK/ES? love it bro.... no more word....

also, i wanted to as if you still have the cover for the handbrake lever on you old console. mine is cracked! i you are not using i might wanna take it off your hands....bt its nt that urgent though....

still dude... that console ROCKS!!!

RM80 for the console. No cutting/trimming required other than the brackets.

My old handrake cover cracked and glued together, not pretty but still works. Good luck finding one that isn't broken.

And LOL @ killing peoples. I'll kill dev and steal his Accord. And John too for his hatch!

haridev
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
hey bro... well my handbrake lever cover has only a very very small crack. glued together as well. haha.. i have checked out many cars in JYs but have yet to find a good example yet. doubt i would replace it. for now im now thinking of the 2g console as well. hehehe... only brackets you say? with no cutting? very cool.... RM80 isnt bad considering it came with the navigator. i see that the console is in two pieces. another half is attached from the gear column to the dash... am i right??? coz i found a centre console for a 2g some while back. it was grey in colour but otherwise looked mint. sadly she was only halfway indicating that the second half wasnt attached. now i have find another 2g console..buhuhu... not going to be easy i suppose....

and for john...hehe buddy, well the 'surgical method' you are implying is besically a small micro-saw, cutting the scalp and skull (BUT NOT TOUCHING THE BRAIN). if you have dont it correctly, it would gently pop out revealing the brain. hahaha....now i need to get a hot pan and some hot sauce and im good to go.....hehehe....to all other guys who are reading this, chill k? im no cannibal,..... just a bored medical student..

Hazwan
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Bought some black carpet with foam thinggy or whatever it is called underneath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01223.jpg

Cut. Always cut slightly larger!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01224.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01225.jpg

Test fit:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01227.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01229.jpg

There are some wrinkles under the dash, but being black and with good floor mats its not noticeable. But it sure beats old dirty, faded and torn carpet!

Foam or whatever you call it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01228.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01231.jpg

Done!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01232.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01230.jpg

Now to do the rear portion.

I changed my mind about the whole interior being black.. they rocks!

Dev: did your new carpet came with foam thinggy?

Civic Accord Honda
10-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Very nice! .. laying carpet is so not fun tho haha

haridev
10-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh yes...the foam thingy. my car still has the foam from the original carpet. it was stuck to the beige carpet. its meant for sound and heat insulation....though i mainly think it just buffers sound. i dint use change the foam. in fact, in order to be able to use the same mounting clips as the oil brown/beige carpet, they used dunlop glue and stuck the new carpet to the old carpet. he also did stitched on the edgings of with beige fabric to give it a clean finish.... almost stock in fact. still not a bad job with the carpet. i did the same for my VW some years ago. heh.... you could use some neat new rubber pedal covers. the 3g rubber would fit right on. regards, dev....

Hazwan
10-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Oh yes...the foam thingy. my car still has the foam from the original carpet. it was stuck to the beige carpet. its meant for sound and heat insulation....though i mainly think it just buffers sound. i dint use change the foam. in fact, in order to be able to use the same mounting clips as the oil brown/beige carpet, they used dunlop glue and stuck the new carpet to the old carpet. he also did stitched on the edgings of with beige fabric to give it a clean finish.... almost stock in fact. still not a bad job with the carpet. i did the same for my VW some years ago. heh.... you could use some neat new rubber pedal covers. the 3g rubber would fit right on. regards, dev....

I got hell of a deal for the carpet then lol. RM150 for both, but then I didn't have to pay the labour. The foam thing is a lot thicker than stock, and should insulate the noise better.

Anyway, got the rear portion done. I made the carpet into two pieces instead of one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01236.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01237.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01238.jpg

2nd part:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01239.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01240.jpg

Can't wait to get the seats reupholstered!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01241.jpg

And check out my mad tyte red stitched shift boot!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01244.jpg

Mad tyte yo!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01247.jpg

And yeah I dyed the console black.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01245.jpg

haridev
10-23-2008, 03:18 AM
the carpet in my case was RM150. carpet itself n labour for stitching n installation. hehehe.... i was blessed. heh. only thing was that it dint have the foam. else im pretty happy with the outcome.

the two piece of carpets remind me of the honda's old concept of 2 carpets which were made to look like 1. hehe.... and the shifter boot really looks rad. goes with the whole BLACK theme of the ride... dont worry bout ur seats. il get my friend to get you a deal for the seat covers.... at the most it would be RM160...

regards,... dev

Dr_Snooz
10-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Wow, looking really good! Rock on!

87roach
10-23-2008, 09:31 AM
That new carpet looks great man, I love how you just dive in and get things done. It's comming together really well, soon she'll all be black! :D

2ndGenGuy
10-23-2008, 10:42 AM
The thing I love about the stock carpet in the 1gee is the way that it clips into place. It's sort of utilitarian like a Jeep. I don't think I could replace mine without it being just like OEM. Yours is looking great though. I bet it feels nice to have a clean carpet!

Civic Accord Honda
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
looks awesome! and i love teh shift boot!

lostforawhile
10-23-2008, 01:28 PM
carpet looks great, I was thinking of doing mine myself too

Hazwan
10-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys! Can't wait to get the whole thing in black!

The thing I love about the stock carpet in the 1gee is the way that it clips into place. It's sort of utilitarian like a Jeep. I don't think I could replace mine without it being just like OEM. Yours is looking great though. I bet it feels nice to have a clean carpet!

I'm still debating whether to reuse the clip - sew it to the new carpet, which what I'm trying to avoid! or I could just put the carpet underneath the plastic trims.

And yeah it feels so nice haing a clean carpet! I'll get some pics of the old one.

Door panels next! And maybe rear seats too. I have to keep the fronts grey for now. No more $$$ lol

And primered the quarter panel today. Should be done tomorrow!

Hazwan
10-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Quarter panel done:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01257.jpg

Paint matches perfectly!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01258.jpg

Need to wait until it fully cure before I could sand+buff and reinstall bumper, trim and pieces.

Dyed the interior trim pieces too:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01259.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01260.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01262.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01263.jpg

Seats and door panel next!

Civic Accord Honda
10-25-2008, 04:13 PM
looking hella awesome! :D

haridev
10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
hey bro, i always believe its a talent to be able to colour match panels on a car. you nailed it!! it truely looks amazing. ever thought, you might be just too smart, you really oughtta take on some automotive engineering. i always believe, what ever you do, you will be very successful if you truely like your job. great job..........regards, dev

.......another thing, what do you plan for you handbrake shaft. mine looks pathetic as well...

87roach
10-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Stellar work on matching the panel man, it looks great. The new black looks hot! What did you use to colour the panels?

Hazwan
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
hey bro, i always believe its a talent to be able to colour match panels on a car. you nailed it!! it truely looks amazing. ever thought, you might be just too smart, you really oughtta take on some automotive engineering. i always believe, what ever you do, you will be very successful if you truely like your job. great job..........regards, dev

.......another thing, what do you plan for you handbrake shaft. mine looks pathetic as well...

A boot for the handbrake maybe? I'll make a template for it and send it off to the upholstery shop who did the shifter boot. Red stitched e-brake boot mmmm...

Stellar work on matching the panel man, it looks great. The new black looks hot! What did you use to colour the panels?

I'm using Krylon Fusion, which unfortunately I've ran out of all the spray cans, and the closest store that carries these stuffs is like 300kms away lol

I can't take all the credit for the body paintjob, my dad did the spray but I did the rest. He did an awesome job for sure!

I still can't figure out how to spray bigger panels properly :( Its really tricky to lay out the paint even and smooth especially with pearl flakes. I'm using leftover paints from last paintjob which barely enough and I'd hate to spend anymore money if I ever screw something up!

I can however, spray smaller stuffs lol.

Hazwan
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Sent my seats to the upholstery shop today. Should be done in a week or so.

Bought couple of vinyl to recover my door panels. Did the driver's door today. Man it was fun!

Layed the sponge/foam:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01265.jpg

Vinyl measured and cut:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01266.jpg

Lower portion in leftover carpet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01267.jpg

Can't believe I forgot to take pics of how I stapled the vinyl and carpet together. No sewing required lol. I'll get some pics when I do the rest of the panels.

Backside stapled to the board:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01268.jpg

Almost done.. need to cut the holes and install the chrome trim:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01269.jpg

I'm going to the junkyard and find any good looking armrest or else I'll dye the old one black. I've ran out of the paint already :(

Civic Accord Honda
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Sex!

Hazwan
10-26-2008, 11:10 PM
How I stapled the vinyl and carpet together:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01270.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01271.jpg

Front done.. Need to stretch the vinyl a bit to get rid of the wrinkles.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01272.jpg

Rear almost done:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01273.jpg

A18A
10-27-2008, 01:28 AM
wow that looks tops!

Civic Accord Honda
10-27-2008, 04:15 AM
epic succeed! and i like the way u stapled them together! good idea :D

Hazwan
10-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Door panel almost done. No pics though. Can't wait to get them installed along with the seats!!

Anyway, did some more LEDs today :D

LED mounted on the bottom of the armrest to illuminate the handbrake
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00016.jpg

LED number plate light!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00011.jpg

More pics when its dark.

Hazwan
10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
LED strip mounted on the cover below the steering column for footwell illumination:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00012.jpg

And USB charger I made to charge my phone/handsfree/whatever USB gadget I might carry. I'll mount the USB ports inside the armrest compartment
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00017.jpg

BTW look what I found today!

JDM hatch. Full of Japanese letters inside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00001.jpg

Malaysian hatch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00002.jpg

Stupid owner wants ~US$1000 for it. WTF are you smoking? $1k for non running car with tons of rust?

2ndGenGuy
10-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow that JDM Hatch has the door moldings shaved off of it... Somebody loved it at one point. Great pics man!

Also, look at those mirrors fixed to the windows! My mirror actually bolts into the sheetmetal part on the door instead of on the front at the windows... pretty neat!

A18A
10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
way cool! lol @ the owner thinking it's worth gold. the usb thing is gonna be cool!

Hazwan
10-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Wow that JDM Hatch has the door moldings shaved off of it... Somebody loved it at one point. Great pics man!

Also, look at those mirrors fixed to the windows! My mirror actually bolts into the sheetmetal part on the door instead of on the front at the windows... pretty neat!

Actually those are the same aftermarket mirrors as mine. They sucks!
I want the mirrors that you guys have!

way cool! lol @ the owner thinking it's worth gold. the usb thing is gonna be cool!

I left as soon as I heard the price lol. And yeah its going to be cool, provided I didn't fry anything :D

2ndGenGuy
10-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Can you get any Japanese bits from the JDM one?

Civic Accord Honda
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
progress (Y)! :D ,
and lawl at them wanting 1grand for that car

81vintyminty
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
nice find!! sad theyre rusting away..that dudes smoking crack, $1000.00??..

81vintyminty
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM

that hatch is probably going to be your best bet for rare jdm h.b. parts. wonder what the int looks like... doesnt the rear emblem look like it has some lettering underneath it??

haridev
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
BTW look what I found today!

JDM hatch. Full of Japanese letters inside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00001.jpg

Malaysian hatch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC00002.jpg

Stupid owner wants ~US$1000 for it. WTF are you smoking? $1k for non running car with tons of rust?

hey, i think you've got more 1geez at the jy at your place than mine. last year around this time i found around 6. last june, i found NONE. only parts scattered around some of the breakers yards. but really $1000 is waaaaaay too much for that car. i once saw a jdm 77' hatch around 20kms (tambun) from my place. i looked pretty sad with rust and bondo all over. but it was real stock with the four ovalish rims, power steering, power windows....etc...sadly i doubt any of the accesories functioning. the thing is the car not only was it TAXED, but it could start and run. reminds me a lot of the second red hatch in your pics. best part was that the car was just around $260 negotiable!!! i think i could have gotten it for just $210...... wish i took pictures though.....

2ndGenGuy
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
that hatch is probably going to be your best bet for rare jdm h.b. parts. wonder what the int looks like... doesnt the rear emblem look like it has some lettering underneath it??

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder what it says under it.

2ndGenGuy
10-29-2008, 12:07 PM
You know what it is. It's from a 2gee Accord and it says "Accord Saloon" which is exactly what that car is not... LOL. It's totally the wrong font for the 1gee.

Hazwan
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Doubt I could get parts off it. Actually thats a used car dealer and I wonder why most of the cars sat for such a long time lol

nice find!! sad theyre rusting away..that dudes smoking crack, $1000.00??..

Yeah its sad looking at both of them rusting away :( If only I have the money (and skill to negotiate more with him for the price!)

You know what it is. It's from a 2gee Accord and it says "Accord Saloon" which is exactly what that car is not... LOL. It's totally the wrong font for the 1gee.

Exactly! I was like WTF is this JDM shit and then I realized its a badge for a saloon :lol:

Anyway, I forgot some details of the JDM hatch, it has cool round hazard button near the bonnet release lever. JDM lettering on the door panels, clean, really clean interior aside from faded panels. Its clean for a car that sat for years. CVCC engine, not sure about the size, but it has rat nest of vacuum hoses! USDM style front bumper. The body has minimal rust, but some holes under the front windshield, on the roof and some bondo on the shaved door trim flaking. Other than that the body isn't that bad. No rust at all on the floor.

And here are some pics of the LEDs in the dark:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01281.jpg

Not too bright, but not too dim, just like factory bulbs. The idea of making my plate brighter seems funny to me. I'd rather people not see my plates!

And....... footwell LEDs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01278.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01282.jpg

:rice: lol

2ndGenGuy
10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Looks pimp man! You totally jacked my idea with the license plate lights ;) I have those in my 2gee. Mine are bright as fuck though, they project a beam about 5 feet out sideways off the car. I like it thought...

I have some LED signals in my 1gee right now, just the turn signals though. I replaced the relay with an electronic relay, so they don't blink 500times per second. I bougt the 1 watt luxeons for the rears, and the 24LED bulbs for the front, they work great!

haridev
10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
And here are some pics of the LEDs in the dark:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01281.jpg

Not too bright, but not too dim, just like factory bulbs. The idea of making my plate brighter seems funny to me. I'd rather people not see my plates!

And....... footwell LEDs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01278.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01282.jpg

:rice: lol

hey bro.... nice work on the license plate lamps. when i removed mine during the paint (and replaced one as one was cracked) i noticed that the bulbs were 'stanley' brand!! for almost 30 years of being on the road, the bulbs for the license plate dint blow...wtf!!! haha..

also, did you replace the license plate on your car? i always thought that your number plate was larger at the back. also, i wanted to find the type of license plate that illuminates from the top. projects from the top. not that easy to find, though a pair that i found was painted black.....and dude, your bumpers look real clean, suits the look you are looking for....

regards, dev...

79cord
10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Nice work through out. Showing off that interior night & day!
I have to drill some holes in my Prelude's rear bumper to locate some discrete LED license plate lighting beneath it..
& get the appropriate resistor for them.
& have been meaning to make up some really small LED side indicators to replace the side trim just behind the frt wheels for Aaaaages.
Good job for getting yours Done!

Hazwan
10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
hey bro.... nice work on the license plate lamps. when i removed mine during the paint (and replaced one as one was cracked) i noticed that the bulbs were 'stanley' brand!! for almost 30 years of being on the road, the bulbs for the license plate dint blow...wtf!!! haha..

also, did you replace the license plate on your car? i always thought that your number plate was larger at the back. also, i wanted to find the type of license plate that illuminates from the top. projects from the top. not that easy to find, though a pair that i found was painted black.....and dude, your bumpers look real clean, suits the look you are looking for....

regards, dev...

Yeah I've got a frame for the plate.

You're looking for the EDM style plate lights. Maybe look for any older cars with bumper mounted lights and mount them on top? I should have shaved them off and put some LEDs under the trunk lid.

BTW you should get new plates. They look old and doesn't go well with the car. When I replaced mine (which is the original since new - faded black part and stained white numbers.. looking like shit!) they improved the look a lot!

Nice work through out. Showing off that interior night & day!
I have to drill some holes in my Prelude's rear bumper to locate some discrete LED license plate lighting beneath it..
& get the appropriate resistor for them.
& have been meaning to make up some really small LED side indicators to replace the side trim just behind the frt wheels for Aaaaages.
Good job for getting yours Done!

Thanks! You know, I kinda regret not shaving the side turn signals. They're faded and looking like crap. And yes, I have the exact same idea as yours, but with discrete LEDs for the side turn signals mounted on the side mirror or something. And that license plate light too :(

79cord
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I thought the European Accord license plate lighting was pretty awful actually. Still big lamps but relocated to the top. exposing the shapes formed in the rear panel for the normal lamp arrangement... unless you can get a plate big enough to cover them.
Don't know why they didn't just put smaller lights in the top of the bumper like many other cars.
http://www.nipponklassik.de/fotos/16/rest03.jpg
And unfortunately the reinforcing shapes under the plate push in out so far that lights hidden under the bootlid wouldn't normally be able to light the light plate unless the whole area was reshaped.. though LED's might be better suited...

Reshape everything? Lights on the bumper or a plate frame with lights and you'd still have the shapes formed in the rear panel for the normal lamp arrangement & need a cover panel -which could look ok I suppose.
If I ever do anything with my spare "shed" Accord I will probably go all-out though.

Maybe Japanese indicators could be modified interestingly to be like my Z360 & those of the first Civic in some markets - which were almost flat & flush with the fender with no chrome and recessed bulb holders which would screw straight on
http://www.nipponklassik.de/fotos/32/03.jpg

haridev
11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Hazwan;908824]Yeah I've got a frame for the plate.

You're looking for the EDM style plate lights. Maybe look for any older cars with bumper mounted lights and mount them on top? I should have shaved them off and put some LEDs under the trunk lid.

BTW you should get new plates. They look old and doesn't go well with the car. When I replaced mine (which is the original since new - faded black part and stained white numbers.. looking like shit!) they improved the look a lot!
QUOTE]

that bad huh?? yes it is the original plate. the numbering on mine isnt white but is actually silver paint. i thought it went well with the colour of the car. the front plate has been replaced. actually it has been replaced twice in this past year alone. only the rear is the original stuff. sadly the annoying body shop guy over tightened the number plate causing it to crack. that annoys me. what type plate should i get? my older accord had polished aluminium numbering but no frame.

also, some one told me that the license plate light looked too oversized on my car. as though it was an after thought. edm ones looked more slick i thought. ive seen a few 1geez with the illuminators projected from the bumper. looked nice as well. but i guess, il stick to the original stuff as a wise man told me the number plate needs work. knowing me and the fact that i might replace both, front and rear....i might have to save up. also the same wise man put a 2gee centre console in his car and it made me think as well...hehe....so i guess i might have to shelf the smaller projects...

haridev
11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe Japanese indicators could be modified interestingly to be like my Z360 & those of the first Civic in some markets - which were almost flat & flush with the fender with no chrome and recessed bulb holders which would screw straight on
http://www.nipponklassik.de/fotos/32/03.jpg

yes, the jdm accords have the flat type as well. in fact even the USDM ones lasted pretty well against the rain and shine.... the taiwan stuff would last a few months. perhaps one day at the breakers yard i might get lucky and stumble upon a couple of near mint fender indicators. i really want to keep my accord stock but i too regret not shaving the fender indicators. its a real pain....

Hazwan
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
USB charger mounted and I haven't fried anything! (yet)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01286.jpg

Charging my POS phone:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01283.jpg

Charging my bluetooth handsfree:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01285.jpg

I should have made 2 ports, but I'm too lazy to make another hole. Its a PITA to cut such tiny hole.

Hazwan
11-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Nothing much done lately. Waiting for the seats, it should be ready by this Saturday. Went to look at it yesterday and the guy is doing nice job with the front seats. Can't wait!

Anyway, I've sanded+buffed the quarter panel and rear door. They match perfectly!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01291.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01297.jpg

Heres how the door panel looks like, minus the beige armrest, which I'll take care of it as soon as I can get the vinyl spray. Did I mention how the closest store carries them are like 300kms away? And sorry for the crappy pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01293.jpg

Little switch for the power locks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01294.jpg

And mad tyte JDM red Type R front seat:lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01292.jpg

And yeah that beige floormat has to go.

Civic Accord Honda
11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
mad trye JDM type R seat ftmfw

Hazwan
11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Front seats are done. The only thing that I'd like to complain is how they appears to be 'bulky' and lost its bucket appearance of the stock Lude seats since he made the new cover over the stock cover, which both of them has foam backing under the fabric making them thicker. But eh I could fix that by taking off the old cover and further stretch the new cover. Plus with the price that I paid, I can't complain much!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01299.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01298.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01300.jpg

Still waiting for the rear seats, armrest and headrests.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

JOSEAMOY
11-07-2008, 05:24 AM
excellent! looks beautiful!! :thumbup:

2ndGenGuy
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow you are doing a fine job my man. Looking good!

Civic Accord Honda
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
hella sweet

Hazwan
11-07-2008, 08:03 PM
All done!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01304.jpg

Sorry I couldn't take any decent pics with this camera phone. They all come out washed out, from the camera being crazy with the dark interior+sunny day. I'll get decent ones later.

Anyway, remember how I said the fronts are bulky? I, being myself will never be satisfied with stuffs like this, and tried to fix them myself :D The problem with them is how he put a new cover, which the fabric are foam backed, on top of stock cover, which also foam backed, making them thick. The lude seats are slightly higher than stock, and coupled with this bulky cover thing, my head is almost touching the roof. Keep in mind that I'm just 5'8".

Not a problem to me lol

Driver's seat ripped out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01305.jpg

Stock cover
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01303.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01302.jpg

How stock cover are pulled from behind to get that 'tight' look
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01307.jpg

Now to figure out how to sew something to pull the new cover from underneath... I can't sew lol

Lil Mike
11-07-2008, 08:10 PM
wow thats looks really amazing, i need to do my rear seats like that.

Civic Accord Honda
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
sweet

A18A
11-07-2008, 11:34 PM
your interior looks super win!

79cord
11-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Yes, super impressive!

haridev
11-09-2008, 02:08 AM
sorry for not being as active as i once was. had a string of work the past few days. assignments, exams, reports...blah blah... neway, as per your seats.... love it man. really goes with the theme of your car. now im wondering what else you need to perfect your car any futher.lol....regards, dev

A18A
11-09-2008, 03:44 AM
moar pics plz :D

hanessy
11-09-2008, 04:46 AM
nice...!!!! kinda hate u rite now...

2ndGenGuy
11-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Wow people hating and wanting to kill Hazwan just for having a nice car! :kekeke: Hey who are you anyways? :) :welcome:

Looking good Hazwan! Love how the back seats look. They look so good all covered in new material!

Hazwan
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
nice...!!!! kinda hate u rite now...

Ah, I know you.. How about posting some pics of your sexy hatch?:D

Anyway, I'll get some decent pics later. Driver's seat cover are reinstalled and all good now.

Hazwan
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Finally some decent pics I took this morning. Photoshoot coming up with better pics!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01160.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01162.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01161.jpg

My fixed driver's side cover, which worked perfectly!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01163.jpg

My phone USB charger wire which I hacked off some other phone's in car charger and solder USB and my phone connector at both ends.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01165.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01164.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01168.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01166.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01167.jpg

Hazwan
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Whatever that is still beige is going as soom as I get hold of vinyl spray and new floormats.

I can't get the chrome trims on the door panel to stay. I need to get that sorted out.

BTW heres a new look without the over riders on. Ignore that gigantic leaf on the bonnet :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/interior_projecto/DSC01170.jpg

Tints next! I'm pretty sure the fabric won't last long if exposed to the sun everyday.

And night pics with all LEDs lights up!

Civic Accord Honda
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
wow looks great man!!!

2ndGenGuy
11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Man it does look nice and clean without the bumper overriders or whatever they're called. Good decision, IMO.

haridev
11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
yo.. i think 2genguy would want to kill you...hahaha.. nah, real nice job bro. it looks like a totally different interior. i can remember what your interior use to look like and how you once IMed me,"I hate my interior!" i think thats a thing of the past as you have a killer 1gee with a killer interior. ur car is done to your taste indeed. and yes, your car looks real clean without the over-riders. its like a different car!!! real cool! looks a little like 81vintyminty's car. regards, dev....

A18A
11-14-2008, 02:05 AM
thet luks raely gud :D

79cord
11-16-2008, 02:44 AM
The black with chrome detailing is looking nice & consistent. Got any staples big enough to go through board & into the back of the trim strips?

I didn't say earlier how much more solid your thin plywood(?) door-trim baseboards looked than the Masonite/Card-board of Japanese models.