PDA

View Full Version : headlight switch wiring

nerdfinite
08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
The headlights on my 89 accord lxi have started going out, at first they would go out when i rotated the switch too far forward. Now they go out unless i balance the switch in one small spot. If I use my blinkers the headlights will go out and I have to fiddle with the knob to get them to come back on, I opened up my steering column and found the wires going to the switch. There is a big white one that i am assuming is the hot wire, and seven(7) others. I'm trying to set it up so that the headlights will come on with the dash lights when i rotate the knob event to the first setting(fog lights). The dash lights and taillights do not have a problem turning on when you move the knob, its just a problem with the headlights.

I purchased a repair book on the car at O'Riellys and it has wiring diagrams but not for that switch.

Does anyone know the color codes for the switch, or would it be a good idea to start connecting wires to the hot and see what comes on?

My electrical skill are moderate, IE i can use a soldering iron and i have an okay grasp of circuitry. I just want to double check so i don't make things worse.

russiankid
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the issue you are having is that the switch is dirty and has a poor connection. Check this how to out, it solved my issues.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60916

w261w261
08-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I have an electrical book for the 89 Accord, which has 300 pages of schematics and troubleshooting directions. Unfortunately, it does not list the internal wiring colors of the headlight switch. Rather than mess with the switch, I'd try to find one off a car in the JY.

The old Fords used to have a circuit breaker in the push/pull headlight switch. Once, I put in some 100w Cibies (remember those, guys?), turned them on briefly, and headed for NYC. On the way home it started to get dark, so I turned on the headlights again, and after about 30 seconds I was in total darkness at 70 mph. Frightening. I had to pull over as best I could and wait for the breaker to cool off, then head home on the low beams.

On a '94 Audi, I once again put in higher wattage bulbs, let them run for a good period (no trouble, I thought), then forgot about them. In that car, I slowly was melting the connectors, which announced their failure at the worst possible time.

In my Accord, I only went up a bit, but it was enough to cook the headlight switch...I had to buy a new one. To put in higher wattage lights, you need to wire in another circuit, then use a relay.

Moral of these stories, don't mess with the headlight switch. The night is dark and dangerous without lights, and Murphy's Law says they will fail just when you need them most.

russiankid
08-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd still try cleaning it. It took me about an hour to clean mine up. Reason I messed with it is because when I did my H4 headlamp conversion, I put in a slightly higher watt bulbs, which caused the lights to go out when switching from high to low beams. I took the switch apart and had old grease, which actually caused the issue. It has now been a year since I've done this and no issue.

Vanilla Sky
08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I have one for sale. I can't remember the year or trimline I pulled it from, but I know for sure I pulled it from a sedan. PM me if interested. I have taken it apart and cleaned every single contact.