PDA

View Full Version : Converting the boot(y)

Kagato
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
All puns aside, i was thinking that since its almost impossible to find a decent set of rear tails at the junkyards for my 89 coupe (stupid black plastic crap), is it possible to change out the ass of a coupe with a sedan? Just stay with me for a second....

1. Cut the rear metal pieces under the tails from the back end of a sedan
2. Weld (or bondo) them in place on the coupe ass where stupid plastic is
3. Swap out the trunk lid (boot lid for those of you across the pond)
4. ????
5. PROFIT

Seems as tho this would work if done somewhat cleanly before a new paint or rattlecan job. Opinions?

mykwikcoupe
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Im not sure if it would work but it would be interesting to see just how well the tails fit from the sedan into the coupe for a rough fitment. Ive always wanted a set of JDM tails for my coupe but they are the same. I guess the quest continues for a set of vigor tails. You gots any?

I say start with lots of pictures and lets see how much if any work itll really take?

Kagato
08-28-2008, 04:29 PM
im thinkin of giving it a shot, only done lookin so far but it seems as tho if the cuts for the "filler" pieces on the sedan are done just right they should line up fine on the coupe and blend nicely with a lil bondo lovin, only thing im not sure of is if the sedan trunk lid would fit flush, not sure if the angles and such are the same

2ndGenGuy
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I somehow don't think the trunk is going to line up. You'd have to modify the sedan trunk so much to even fit on that car, you might as well just chop up the coupe lid.

Kagato
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
damn thats what i was afraid of. i like the sedan rear a lot more than the coupe, and the black plastic on the coupe lights seems to break all the time. oh well, maybe ill still see if i can make somethin work.

HondaBoy
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
how about a hatch back conversion on a sedan? would look like better than an integra if you could make rear doors fit with the hatchs slanted line.

russiankid
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Isn't the metal piece under the taillights on the coupe also bolted on and tack welded to the body? How about swapping those over along with the lights and trunk lid? I never knew the trunk lid on the coupe was completely different aside from the light area.

Civic Accord Honda
08-28-2008, 09:39 PM
coupes dont have the metal trim under the lights they just have plastic

codyJDM
08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I've seen one coupe in person, and the back looked pretty different to me. But what do I know I have a hatch and have only seen one coupe lol.

Kagato
08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
yea theres pretty much no metal on the back of a coupe, its all cheap black plastic that gets brittle and cracks. a hatchback conversion would be too much work and unsafe unless i had a shop, a frame machine, and mad welding skills. would have to chop the back off a coupe and attach that of a hatchback. ill do crazy shit to a car but i dont touch the frame

Civic Accord Honda
08-29-2008, 06:10 PM
i think he meant the hatchback tails and under metal peace not the whole rear end lol at least i hope that's what he meant O_o

HondaBoy
08-30-2008, 05:30 PM
no i meant the whole thing. but you would go about that with proper procedures. the tails from the hatch back would be a cool retro fit though by themselves. thats more of an interesting idea thats more doable

Ayeobe
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
You could just make metal peices custom to replace the plastic. Should not be too hard to shape metal, compared to what you guys are saying lol.

86ccord
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
well, you could duct tape it to the back.. if you wanted to do it the professional way..

frantik
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I somehow don't think the trunk is going to line up. You'd have to modify the sedan trunk so much to even fit on that car, you might as well just chop up the coupe lid.

this

or just ask someone over here to score you some lights.. probably cheaper and cleaner even with int'l shipping

russiankid
09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
You could just make metal peices custom to replace the plastic. Should not be too hard to shape metal, compared to what you guys are saying lol.

What I meant was to take the metal pieces under the taillights from a sedan and put them on a coupe. They are held on by two bolts and a few tack welds.