PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!! Manual Trans Clicking....

Coolbusracer
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
So, while i was out and around driving today, i noticed a little "click" when i shift into 3rd... but i didn't think it was that bad. When i got home, i parked on the driveway, cuz we are trying to restore the original color (the thing looks like it had multiple REALLY BAD wax jobs...), when we realized that it needed to be on the street.... it either has an oil leak, or it could just be the oil that is built up on the block dripping off (gonna get it steam cleaned pretty soon). When i hopped in, started it, then shifted into reverse, it sounded like i was trying to shift with the clutch not fully engaged, but my left foot was to the floor..... I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and what the solution was.... also it seems like it may be low on trans fluid, so i was wondering how to check and how to fill it up if needed.....

Thanks....

russiankid
08-28-2008, 08:03 PM
To check the level the car has to be on a flat level surface. Open the hood, and look at the back of the engine bay. You are looking for the transmission fill plug, it is a big plug which sits on the side of the transmission. It sits on the side of the transmission not to far from the axle. If you remove the plug, and oil comes out, transmission is full. If oil doesn't come out, you need to add oil until oil comes out of the hole.

As far as reverse, reverse isn't synchronized, therefore you need to put into 1st or 2nd prior to putting in reverse.

Coolbusracer
08-28-2008, 08:13 PM
ok....
When i start the car, i have it in first with the clutch engaged to allow it to turn over... so i went from first to reverse, and the car wasn't moving, cuz i still had the emergency brake on.... but does that sound like something that would be caused by lack of fluid?????? i know when i drive my dad's 95 Nissan Pathfinder, if you have the clutch in and you just go through the gears, while stopped of course...., you can here the trans fluid slosh around... but if you try to do the same on my accord, you can't hear it slosh around.... i'll check the trans fluid tomorrow..... is there any special "trans fluid" i need???? like the P/S you need specifically honda/acura P/S fluid, do i need specific honda/acura trans fluid???????

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds like it's time for a clutch adjustment to me.

Rendon LX-i
08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Throwout bearing shot or your fork is shot to....my tranny made alot of noise and it was just done it time. put other one in problem sloved lol.

Coolbusracer
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
ok, so i am going to check the fluid level, but i need to know if you need a specific honda/acura trans fluid?????????? can anybody answer this??????? i am hoping that all it is is the fluid is low.........

Oldblueaccord
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Your ok with 10w30 motor oil. its in your owners manual in the glovebox. I would say the honda oil is better but I can't say I have used it in a long time. I use Mobil one 10w30.

Take a look at your clutch cable into the trans it may have popped out. Thats is were your adjustment is as well. Also shifter bushing maybe worn or missing underneath.

wp

russiankid
08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I use Honda MTF and its better than regular 10w30.

Coolbusracer
08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
So, the problem isn't the fluid level.... we just had the oil changed at a local Jiffy Lube and they were able to inspect it to find that the level was "Ok".....
I don't think i've explained it very well so here goes....
When i start the car on either a flat surface or facing uphill, and try to shift into reverse, it grinds right before going in..... and if i am shifting from 2nd to 3rd, i have to have the rpm's below 2000, otherwise the gears will grind and it will sound like a soft grind or "Click"..... however, if the car is facing downhill it will shift into reverse without any grinding at all.... we are probably going to take it to a local AMMCO to have them inspect the trans..... if anybody has any ideas we should try i would love to hear them..... if you do have an idea could you possible PM me the instructions, if its not in the shop manual...... i really love my accord and would hate to have something fail or break on it while i'm driving.....but that's life for ya..........

Civic Accord Honda
08-29-2008, 07:36 PM
every old honda i have drivin grinds when shifting in to R unless ushift to 2nd frist then go to R

Civic Accord Honda
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
and it sounds like the gear synchro is bad on 3rd my old trans was like that just dubble clutch when shifting to 3rd and try useing some GM Syncro mesh fulid

Coolbusracer
08-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Where do i add the syncro fluid and how much????????

Rendon LX-i
08-29-2008, 11:53 PM
If you use regular motor oil, it will foam up inside your tranny at extreme heat causing bad shifting and just doesnt work rite at all...I went to the track tranny had hell of a time shifting and clutch got to hot for the fact beening i wasnt using the right oil.....Use ONLY HONDA MTF its a little spendy but its worth it. Thats why honda made it lol

MessyHonda
08-30-2008, 12:12 AM
yeah honda MFT is the way to go...i love it beacuse i get it for free.

Rendon LX-i
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
yeah honda MFT is the way to go...i love it beacuse i get it for free.

Damn dude.....hook it up lol

Dr_Snooz
08-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Third might be getting a little tired, but I'd still try that clutch adjustment.

itzdave
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
hmm... that kinda reminds me of what my old trans was doin, it just kept gettin worse and then it just got retarded, i looked at it and there was a HUGE split down the side of it. the tranny was totally shot and i needed to get a new one. i posted some pix up a while ago when it happened... the thread was called "whoops, no more tranny" if ya wanna look it up.