PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, car wont start

Kagato
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
So after running great for more than a week after fixing the primary booster venturi, after i got home today for a quick shower i hopped back in my swell running 3rd gen, start her up, go about 10 feet and the engine just shuts off. Start up again, back up a few feet, and engine shuts off again. Now the car is cranking very hard, no clicking, but wont catch and fire up.

Possible causes? Is it possible my coil just crapped out suddenly, or my timing decided to go way out of kilter? If I let the car sit for a bit and crank it, it'll catch then die right away. No sputtering, shuddering, coughing, just a clean death.

Could the heat here in cali have anything to do with it (98+ degree ambient temp)? everything under the hood feels really hot, including plug wires. however i have plenty of coolant, and its flowing properly.

A20A1
08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Check the fuel level in the float bowl.

Check for vacuum leaks

Recheck the booster you tightened.

Possibly fuel pump, watch the float bowl window when starting.

Other then that check for loose battery cables or corrosion.

Heat could be normal, or not if it's from running lean or from poor lubrication or cooling.
Check coolant and oil levels.
If Coolant issues... check thermostat, fans, water pump, belt.

Kagato
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
well she fired up just fine today, oil is good, coolant levels are good, compression is good, however exhaust smells hella lean while warming up. not sure why yesterday she refused to start and stay running. upped the idle a little for smoother time sittin at the lights.

i know increasing idle wont adjust air/fuel mixture, where on the carb do i adjust this? havnt been able to see the float bowl yet, my head is too big to fit back there and i dont have a mirror handy.

is it possible high ambient temp and a lot of driving would prevent the car from starting after sitting for a bit? iv noticed my cooling fan will not start or stay on if the car is not running or the key is not in the accessory position. is this normal? on my other cars the fan would kick on by itself whether the car was on or off.

A20A1
08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I think LX-I was the only one with the fans that come on by themselves.

Dr_Snooz
08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
After my 2nd carb rebuild (the first was a massive fail), I couldn't get the floats adjusted. Either the bowl would flood, or it would empty, but never stay at the right level. After about an hour of cussing, I finally realized that the floats were bad. I replaced them and all was good.

:uh:

Thread hijack: I see that a lot of the guys on here go in and try to repair problems in the carb. Do you find this to be more effective than a complete rebuild? If I suspected any problems in a carb (thank God I have FI), I'd just overhaul the entire thing. I never see anyone recommending that here. Any thoughts?

Kagato
09-01-2008, 08:38 AM
when it comes to cost, yes i find it more effective. i'm also trying to learn as much about the a20a1 carb motor as possible, so fixing things as they pop up rather than doing a full rebuild on a part helps me to diagnose and fix other problems that may come up, as well as i will be able to provide good info to others on the site when/if that time comes.