PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Springs Spring Rate

mushroom_toy
09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Well after the road trip to NC, I decided I want something softer as going over bridges and crap in sc and nc was murder, sounded like I killed my car every time. SO I was wondering what the spring rate on the 2.25" drop Sprints were as I have a set lying around.

My EF coilovers have spring rates of 450 front 350 rear and I was wondering if the sprints would give me a softer ride, and less bottoming but still have the handling of this stiffer spring rate.

Im still unsure of what im going to do at this point.

codyJDM
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
They're stiff as shit. I dont know the spring rate but when I hit hard bumps even slow it sounds like my car is gonna die lol.

I have sprints with Tokico blues btw.

MessyHonda
09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Sprint 2.25"
F: 1.66 350 lb/in; R: 1.92, 225 lb/in

mushroom_toy
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks Messy. Hmm I might switch them out...im still unsure. :(

codyJDM
09-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Messy. Hmm I might switch them out...im still unsure. :(

What dampers are you running?

nvm on that just remembered lol.

Accordtheory
09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't know about the rates. I suspect whereever whoever got them originally was bullshit. What I can tell you for sure though, is that sprints are complete garbage! I have them on my car, and it is basically undriveable because of the suspension, and I suspect that is mostly due to them, not my revalved bilsteins. They are Way to stiff, esp in the back, and the car doesn't sit anywhere close to level, either. It looks like shit, the left rear wheel is even with the fenderwell and the right front is about 2" below it. That is just embarrassing. Fuck sprints. When I get my GCs, (when I get money From, not For something car related, my new rule..someone buy my manifold!) my sprints will be getting thrown in the trash.

codyJDM
09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know about the rates. I suspect whereever whoever got them originally was bullshit. What I can tell you for sure though, is that sprints are complete garbage! I have them on my car, and it is basically undriveable because of the suspension, and I suspect that is mostly due to them, not my revalved bilsteins. They are Way to stiff, esp in the back, and the car doesn't sit anywhere close to level, either. It looks like shit, the left rear wheel is even with the fenderwell and the right front is about 2" below it. That is just embarrassing. Fuck sprints. When I get my GCs, (when I get money From, not For something car related, my new rule..someone buy my manifold!) my sprints will be getting thrown in the trash.

I always thought the rears were too soft.

My car sits level, the front just has more wheel gap than the back. I can't say theyre the best and I'm gonna keep them forever(definitely getting GC's or a greater/equivalent coilover for civics) but they aren't that horrible. At least not with my setup.

Civic Accord Honda
09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
nah u should not toss them out u should give them to me

Accordtheory
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I always thought the rears were too soft.

How?? I've actually has girls ride in the back and complain that is was so stiff, they had to support certain parts of their anatomy with their hands or it was painful, no joke!

They will knock you out of the seat into the headliner, at least with 300/100 rear bilsteins in a hatch. With or without subs and a battery in the back. Way too stiff.

Accordtheory
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
nah u should not toss them out u should give them to me

I would, but you named one of your cars Chloe? You weirdo..how did you come up with that shit? I've never named a car, wtf..

codyJDM
09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
i Would, But You Named One Of Your Cars Chloe? You Weirdo..how Did You Come Up With That Shit? I've Never Named A Car, Wtf..

hahahahaha

mushroom_toy
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
IM pretty sure if they are lower spring rates than they wont be any worse than what I have now. Since I can live with what i have now i may not switch them out, but If i ever decide to I have a set. Got my set for 8 bucks so i really didnt waste any money.

Civic Accord Honda
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I would, but you named one of your cars Chloe? You weirdo..how did you come up with that shit? I've never named a car, wtf..
haha my cars are my girlfriends so they need names =./

MessyHonda
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
try them on...i was going to run them on my car but now all i run is a 22mm rear sway bar...and the ride is still good

Oldblueaccord
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I know you all hate hearing this but are you sure your not so low your bottoming out the shock or the suspension on compression?

Maybe some zip ties or tape on the shock rod will give you and idea.

wp

guaynabo89
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I have Sprints on my hatch and it sits level and as not stiff at all.

I do beleive Sprint changed their spring rates at a certain time as I called them to confirm. The older first ones were stiffer than the ones say from 3-4 years ago and on which have softer spring rates.

To the OP they're progressive compared to linear so they'll probably feel softer than what your running even if they were close to the same rates.

Accordtheory
09-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, all I know is my sprints are complete shit.

frantik
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
i dont think you're ever gonna get a good ride lowered 2"+ on tokicos.. the shocks just arent meant to handle it

upgrading my sway bars did help smooth out the ride a lot though.. even with my konis and sportlines it was kinda a harsh ride sometimes

guaynabo89
09-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Well, all I know is my sprints are complete shit.

lol

I myself would stop using them if I found a set of Sus Tech's. They are a little stiffer spring rate and only drop to 2".

Tomisimo
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Anyone ride H&R? they only go as 1,6" but I belive it might be the best set'up.. The Accord is low already, you need to step down to get in it, so why lower it 2" or more?

snoopyloopy
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Anyone ride H&R? they only go as 1,6" but I belive it might be the best set'up.. The Accord is low already, you need to step down to get in it, so why lower it 2" or more?
very true my mom all but refuses to ride in my car (or worse yet my brother's integ) bc of how low they are.

halxi
09-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Look into Intrax springs, i had them on my accord with tokico blues and i loved the springs.

The struts were a different story, would of rather gone with a revalved bilstein or koni's

Busted Blue did a test fit a LONG time ago with some full coilovers out of a civic, not 100% sure on the year/generation of civic, but i know that even at the highest setting, it dumped the shit out of his accord.

It may be worth looking into the civic coilovers and finding what may work best for you. I know he was using teins, which dont have as much adjustment as Function and Form, Buddy Club's, or Ksports/D2's.

mushroom_toy
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Look into Intrax springs, i had them on my accord with tokico blues and i loved the springs.

The struts were a different story, would of rather gone with a revalved bilstein or koni's

Busted Blue did a test fit a LONG time ago with some full coilovers out of a civic, not 100% sure on the year/generation of civic, but i know that even at the highest setting, it dumped the shit out of his accord.

It may be worth looking into the civic coilovers and finding what may work best for you. I know he was using teins, which dont have as much adjustment as Function and Form, Buddy Club's, or Ksports/D2's.

.....I am running civic coilovers. :P

EricW
09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
You could order a softer set of springs for the rear from ground control and move the 350s up front. I'm running a 350s in the front and 250s in the rear and the car isn't overly stiff but it's definitely not real friendly on a bumpy road.

86AccordLxi
09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I can't imagine the the sprints are 350lb lowering springs, except *maybe* at the top end (since they're progressive). They're probably more like 200lb.

The price for them calls to me -- they're pretty darn cheap on ebay....

Alex

markmdz89hatch
09-23-2008, 06:04 AM
hmm... ....did you say you were on Toki's? If you want better handling, and near impossibility of bottoming out, just pull out the c/o's and ride stock springs on your Toki's.

If your goal is to ride at that lower height and avoid bottoming out, there's not much you can do other then going with a stiffer spring and/or a temp fix of trimming down your bump-stops (but I don't recommend doing this).

The only way you're going to improve your handling is to upgrade your dampeners (shocks) to something that's actually built to handle your springs.

mushroom_toy
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
hmm... ....did you say you were on Toki's? If you want better handling, and near impossibility of bottoming out, just pull out the c/o's and ride stock springs on your Toki's.

If your goal is to ride at that lower height and avoid bottoming out, there's not much you can do other then going with a stiffer spring and/or a temp fix of trimming down your bump-stops (but I don't recommend doing this).

The only way you're going to improve your handling is to upgrade your dampeners (shocks) to something that's actually built to handle your springs.

Directed at me? Mine dont bottom out its just a stiff ride. Im running my own version of the vector mod and its doing fine.

markmdz89hatch
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Directed at me? Mine dont bottom out its just a stiff ride. Im running my own version of the vector mod and its doing fine.

My bad, I was just responding to your thread-starting post where you asked for other options that would help in less bottoming out.

That said, the post was more for anyone reading just as an informational.

I keep hearing and seeing this "vector mod", and I'm curious, what's the main goal in doing this? (sry, this was discussed long before I returned from my 3G hiatus)

86AccordLxi
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Here's the vector tophat mod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/More%20Car/DSC06665.jpg

Alex

markmdz89hatch
09-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Alex, thanks for posting that pic. Key here is I'm not exactly sure what the goal is in doing this. i mean it's clear as day that it allows stock height dampers to be used up front even on a lowered car, which I suppose would aid in reducing bottom-outs, but it doesn't increase your travel at all. Wouldn't it be safer to have the dampers shortened?

I'm not knocking it at all, just curious as to just how safe it is. Could be ignorance because I don't know exactly how those lengthened tophat bolts are accomplished.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take this off topic, but I think it's still relevant on finding a 'best setup' solution for the sprints (or any other springs) at a relatively low cost.

MessyHonda
09-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Alex, thanks for posting that pic. Key here is I'm not exactly sure what the goal is in doing this. i mean it's clear as day that it allows stock height dampers to be used up front even on a lowered car, which I suppose would aid in reducing bottom-outs, but it doesn't increase your travel at all. Wouldn't it be safer to have the dampers shortened?

I'm not knocking it at all, just curious as to just how safe it is. Could be ignorance because I don't know exactly how those lengthened tophat bolts are accomplished.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take this off topic, but I think it's still relevant on finding a 'best setup' solution for the sprints (or any other springs) at a relatively low cost.

the vector mod is used with 88-91 civic type shocks...since they are longer but fit our fronts..more shock options for the civic.

mushroom_toy
09-27-2008, 09:23 AM
the vector mod is used with 88-91 civic type shocks...since they are longer but fit our fronts..more shock options for the civic.

Really though it can be used with any strut. Im not running civic front im running Accord tokicos in front. :)

Vector mod is very safe. Ive had mine on for quite a while and have had no problems at all. Considering all they are carriage bolts flipped upside down on one tophat on the underside of the car with nuts and lockwahers to lock it down with another tophat on top.

markmdz89hatch
10-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Really though it can be used with any strut. Im not running civic front im running Accord tokicos in front. :)

Vector mod is very safe. Ive had mine on for quite a while and have had no problems at all. Considering all they are carriage bolts flipped upside down on one tophat on the underside of the car with nuts and lockwahers to lock it down with another tophat on top.

Are you using Grade 8 bolts?

Accordtheory
10-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't think anyone has figured out when the top of the shock hits the tower vs the uca hitting, or whatever. Ideally the top of the shock would hit the bump stop first and prevent the arm from hitting. I've seen civics that had holes in the shock towers due to bottoming out, it was pretty haggard. No way would I roll like that..
I know ground control makes extended top hats, I assume they engineer them so they work like I described. I don't know how much you can extend the top hat on the 3g (with oem length shocks), you might not need to, shortening the pinch fork might be enough, depending.
Just sort of thinking with the keyboard here, I'll figure all of this shit out whenever I get around to doing something with my car again. Haven't really done shit to my car all summer..

mushroom_toy
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Are you using Grade 8 bolts?

Indeed.

jdmaccordnut
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I have KYB GR2s and Nuespeed 1.5" drop springs. Ride is very, very soft. Softer than stock. It still corners, but it just sorta floats over most road imperfections. I don't really like it, because it kills how responsive the car is, but the roads are garbage around here so I'll stick with it.

rfiks
10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
vector tophat mod... here i come!!!!!!!!!!:koolaid: