PDA

View Full Version : question about a chip and a carb. intake

bryantmnm
09-24-2002, 07:18 AM
hey guys, i was talking to one of my friends and he sayd they made chips for my car. i have a 1989 accord LX. does anyone know if they do make them, and if so can someone please link me to a site that sells them? and one more question, i have been looking for an intake for my car and cant find one. i have a K&N airfilter but i want the CAI sound, only problem is that its carbed. any tips or suggestions would be apprieciated. thanks guys!

smufguy
09-24-2002, 07:34 AM
he is probably bullshitting. cause ur car does not have an ECU to have a chip put in. If ur car has an efi system or u custom put an efi system in ur lx like i am doing that actually runs because of an ECU, there is no way on hell u can put a chip in. besides, ask him what that chip does to ur carb car. Does it control AF ratio? Bullshit cause ur thing under the seat is not an fuel management unit, its an emission management. damn these ppl ripping ppl who dont know much about cars. Shove it in his face if he bullcraps again. :rant: :burn: :mad:

1988starter
09-24-2002, 07:38 AM
Jet makes chips for LXi and SEi's

smufguy
09-24-2002, 01:35 PM
oops, i kinda sound harsh in that previous post. My bad, i was probably drunk i guess. :) or i gotta stop smoking this green thing.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-24-2002, 01:45 PM
Smufguy I have to correct you because they do make chips for an 89 accord lx. This store told me hypertech makes one but it's $580. I was also told that I could send mine into the JET thing. (I have an 89 accord LX) And we do have an ECU because the black box thing is under the drivers side front seat. (it's the black box under the seat)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Oh and you have to custom make the CAI for the carbed models like mine. Search the forums. I know Mantis88 and A20A1 and staticpat are good for helping people because they helped me figure out how to do it. The only hard part is making the adapter to attach onto the carb.

night
09-24-2002, 02:23 PM
it is a 'solenoid control box'. take it out and it will run. but you wont pass emissions very easily.
the only thing controlling the engine is vacuum advance, the floats in the bowl, and the size of the needles. and more or less indirectly the diameter of the throat. (and the venturi 'float' in sidedrafts, but thats vacuum controlled as well and doesnt apply to you :)).

they make a chip for my lawn mower ? ive got a I/H/E and a VAFC, but i wanna raise the rev limit :p

Mike's89AccordLX
09-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Dude, so you can remove that box completly and the car will still work? If you remove it will the car suck more air in? I was told the box controls the air suction. I sense some sarcasim from you night, but the thing is: I'm not the idiot that told me that from "Champion Auto" I was just stating what he said to me. He said it was $580 also. I would like to know if removing the box will increase my cars performance?

smufguy
09-24-2002, 06:41 PM
hey mike, i understand what u mean. but the thing is, on ur 98 hp motor with a 110 lb-ft torque u aint gonna gain anything even if that mystry chip works miracle. What does that chip actually do anywayz? u do know what that box under ur seat does right? U tell us what it does and we will tell u if its right or wrong.

Trust me, i am not telling that ur an idiot or the guy who told u is a moron (thoug in my first reply i said he is bs-ing). The box under ur seat, is a thing that is non-existant practically. besides, what is your point about CAI for the carb anyways? All that box under ur seat does is what exactly night noted in his reply.

Come up with what the chip does and we will see what happens. and for $500+ bucks, trust me, u will be sorry.

A20A1
09-24-2002, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes: Carb Chip

With all emissions aside... the carb will never need a chip.

psst.... WEBER :bow:

Mike's89AccordLX
09-24-2002, 09:33 PM
smufguy I never said I was going to buy the chip i'm not that dumb to do that for $500 + bucks , I'll buy my Weber 32/36 and Pacesetter Headers before that "chip." And as I said in my last reply, I don't know what the black box is for or what it does. The guy at the store said that's where the chip was. He said it would be in a black box. So I looked under the seat and saw a black box, so I thought the guy wasn't full of bs, but now you guys confirm that he is full of bs. I just wanted to know what the box was for and if I could remove it without harming my car. And I don't know if I understand what you mean by, "what is your point by CAI for the carb anyways." Guys i'm not saying your wrong, because I believe what you guys say before any moron at an autoparts store. My information was wrong when I was first talking on this post. Sorry for the commotion.
P.S. Can you tell me what the black box does and if I can remove it? Thanks Guys :bow:

A20A1
09-24-2002, 11:44 PM
Here is a thread I put up and hoped to get more insite from other carb junkies... but still no replies.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5853

I wouldn't remove the black box unless, you don't have emissions testing.... removing it now with all the vacuum hoses still hoooked up may cause more trouble.

and I never had a black box under my seat.. there was an orange plastic one a metal one and a gray plastic one.