PDA

View Full Version : Wiring shorts....

Coolbusracer
09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Does anybody have any idea where the glovebox light/switch goes to???????? I am talking about the connector just inside the glovebox by the latch on the upper dash..... Can anyone tell me which fuse that is tied into????? is that the one for the interior lights?????

codyJDM
09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Theres a glovebox light? lol sweet.

Mine doesn't work either then.

Then again neither does my hatch light or hatch warning light on my cluster.

Coolbusracer
09-01-2008, 09:06 PM
i'm not 100% sure it's a light..... but what else could it be?????? maybe someone else who knows these cars better can explain what it is????? cuz i am trying to find a short in my wiring and want to know if that "Circuit" is part of the whole dome light, cig lighter, and trunk light fuse, or if it's seperate........ anybody else have any ideas????????????:dunno:

This is just HILARIOUS!!!!!! ------> :redx:

Demon1024
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
i think it's connected to the headlights and clock somehow. but i dunno,have to check the wiring diagram, which you could do too. i'm guessing the light doesn't work.does everything else work? check bulb,check fuses, take the thing that holds the bulb out ( i think it's one screw) try one of the other one's in your car in that spot. i think they use the same connector, if not be creative, hook a battery to it with some wire should be a 12v bulb. all i can think of

Coolbusracer
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
i looked in the repair manual and didn't find anything talking about that connector......
i know i have a fuse blown, but until i find a short in the wiring, they will continue to blow right as i put them in........ so i am trying to find it without ripping the whole car apart, but it looks like i may need to take the dash entirely out.....:nervous:
Why can't things just be easier?????? :banghead:

w261w261
09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I have an '89. On my car, the glove box light is right by the latch. It's a small cylindrical bulb. The power to it comes through the headlight switch, then through fuse 14, because when the headlights are off the bulbs in the ashtray, glove box, clock and radio lights are at full brightness. When the headlights are on, those lights are dimmed down one step.

Coolbusracer
09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
ok, so then can anyone with a DX (or just anyone...) tell me what all is connected through the fuse # 13 under the hood???????????????? i know the cig lighter, dome light, and rear hatch light go through that but is there anything else????????? I am SSSOOOOOOOOOOO close to just ripping out the interior to find the short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My head is going to blow!!!!!!!!!:rant:

this is what i want to do to my car right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------->:rocket:

Demon1024
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
just go threw everything you know that does go threw that fuse and check for continuity to ground on the pos. term on each. ripping it all out isn't the best plan cause even when you get it all out you still may not be able to see it. use an ohmeter. or a test light to the battery pos. One side should light it one shouldn't if they both light it you found it. this will send current to the rest of the system though so other stuff may light up if you doors are open. this is what i would do to find it. i wouldn't hold power to it for long. i've been know to blow many fuses

w261w261
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
ok, so then can anyone with a DX (or just anyone...) tell me what all is connected through the fuse # 13 under the hood????????????????

Again, all I know is the '89: fuse 13: courtesy lights all doors, cig lighter, trunk light, interior lights, ignition key light, interior light, trailer connection. That's all. At the end of the line, the interior light, trunk/hatch light, and trailer connection are all shown as having wires going to a common connection point. Heading back towards the front of the car (all blu/wht wire), the next stop is the LR door courtesy, then a junction out of which go the ignition key light and driver's door courtesy, as well as a wire up to a 20 pin connector (under left side of dash, at kick panel). The wht/blu wire continues towards the underhood fuse box, with the cig lighter branching off, then the RF and RR courtesies, then to the box and fuse 13.

w261w261
09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Start by taking all the bulbs out of the lights in my last post. Take out the cig lighter. See if fuse 13 still blows. As a shot, take a look at the cig lighter socket with a flashlight. I've seen stuff get in there and blow fuses. If the fuse doesn't blow once you have removed all the bulbs, start putting them in one by one. It might be a corroded socket. You want to be methodical, and try the easy stuff first. Once I had to cut into a wiring harness, which had a wire inside it that had fatigued as it went through a door hinge point. That took many hours to figure out.

Demon1024
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
that's a good idea about the cig lighter

Dr_Snooz
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I had a short in my '82 that drove me nuts. Every time I lit the dash lights the fuse would blow. I was ready to light the car on fire. After hours of searching, I finally found a bulb that I had wired past in the circuit. That missing 1.4W load was enough to blow the whole circuit.

The only thing I really learned from the episode was that wiring is a real b**ch.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

lostforawhile
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
ok, so then can anyone with a DX (or just anyone...) tell me what all is connected through the fuse # 13 under the hood???????????????? i know the cig lighter, dome light, and rear hatch light go through that but is there anything else????????? I am SSSOOOOOOOOOOO close to just ripping out the interior to find the short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My head is going to blow!!!!!!!!!:rant:

this is what i want to do to my car right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------->:rocket:calm down i'll go look in my book,the glove box light does run off of the illumination circuit,it only comes on when the parking lights are on. also what else stops working when it blows? the light and switch are one assembly connected together, pull out the glovebox and you'll see it bolted or screwed in right above the box.

lostforawhile
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
it's number 36. it's the same as your tail lights and parking lights and vanity lights. so check for a short there. thats also the same as the clock illumination controller. those circuits are not on the dimmer circuit. they come srtaight from the parking light switch.

Coolbusracer
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
all right, i have heard many good ideas, of which i will try.....
the light in the glovebox is fine and all those other little lights are fine, just anything connected to fuse # 13 under the hood is shot.... i will try to take out the cig lighter, but it has been super glued in place, and i will probably break it in the process...... oh, well.... that's what j/y's are for.......
i have a feeling that when the radio was installed they tried to tie it into the cig lighter, as thats where one of the many open wires were. But that wire had a fuse on it and on the head unit, it says that it needs a fuse inserted on the main hot wire...... so i have a really suspicious feeling that somewhere there some disaster.....

one quick question.....
how do you take out the dash just around the radio, and heat controls??????? i want to get back there but there is no room.....

lostforawhile
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM

one quick question.....
how do you take out the dash just around the radio, and heat controls??????? i want to get back there but there is no room.....
you don't. it's all one piece

Coolbusracer
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
ok.... first off... THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!! :chainsaw:

second, i may have found the problem......:D just one question.....
on the cig lighter, i am using an ohm meter, but which part of the cig lighter should be getting power??????? is it the center or the outer casing?????? and would having these wires switched do anything, say blow the circuit??????

Oldblueaccord
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
The center back way down in there it hot.

The outside casing is the ground.

wp

Coolbusracer
09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
ok....
would having the outside be hot and the center (any other other???) be ground cause the circuit to short out and blow the fuse????????

Oldblueaccord
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
well i dunno.if you put the lighter part in yes it would.

Just unhook it until you get the fuse to stop blowing then add in one thing at a time untill it blows. Trial and error you will get it.

wp

Coolbusracer
09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D My car definatly has:Owned2: me.......

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cig lighter was wired in wrong, after they took it out.....
and all the times i had been testing the circuit, i had the lighter part in the cig lighter (it just looks cool, not that i need it...) , and because the wires were backwords, it was getting the hot mixed with the ground... i just took it out and put in the fuse and IT DIDN'T BLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
Thanks for all your help......

now the next thing is my radio install.... i'll keep you guys up to date on that situation.....

Coolbusracer
09-07-2008, 02:27 PM
ok, so i said that i was going to take one from the j/y, but those stupid things are in there good!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have a pic of one out??????? or can someone tell me how to get it out without destroying the plastic "face plate"?????????? i know that's the source of the problem, but I want to be able to charge my phone, my ipod, and anything else i need....

i hate to repeat things over and over but.....
the wires are somehow mixed up....... the outside casing is the hot..... and somehow, i have no ground..... the center has no power, and it isn't grounded...... so, could someone explain what i have to do to fix this??????? i am not worried about trial and error, i have plenty of fuses.....

Demon1024
09-07-2008, 03:53 PM
the front and back are two pieces they unscrew from each other to come out if i remember right

lostforawhile
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
the front and back are two pieces they unscrew from each other to come out if i remember right

yep take off the light thing on the side of the plug, it unsnaps, take off the ground, and pull the hot connector off the back, now the back will unscrew and come off, then the front pulls out from the front