PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the timing?

hondaisthebest
05-08-2002, 08:16 PM
Hi,
i have a little problem sometime when i am on the highway and i floor the car i hear knocking sound coming from the motor. I use 91 octane and i thinks the timing is too much advanced.
What is the procedure to retard the timing?
Its dangerous for the engine to retard it?
Do i absolutely need a timing light?
Thanks guys

ACCORD EX
05-09-2002, 01:09 AM
a timing light makes life more easier !
some one posted this before ! don't remember who ? but i am sorry ! here it is !

I got that kind of info too. I did curse alot 'bout my carb

Here's what you have to do (what the shop manual says)

1. Remove the rubber cap from the inspection window of the cylinder block.

2. start the engine and allow it to warn up (cooling fan comes on).

3. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the vacuum advance diaphragm and, while the engine idles, check each hose for vacuum and plug the hoses.

The inside hose (#2 for carbed, #12 for EFI) should have vacuum

The outside hose (#25 for carb, #15 for EFI) should not have vacuum

If the vacuum is not as specified, check the timing control system

4. Connect a timing light to the engine and point it on the flywheel (for M/T), or driveplate (for A/T)

5. Adjust the ignition timing, if necessary, to the following specification

Ignition timing

Carbureted engine:

- Manual transmission: 20 degree ± 2 @ 700 ± 50 rpm in neutral
- Auto transmission: 15 degree ± 2 @ 700 ± 50 rpm in gear

Fuel injected engine: 15 degree ± 2 @ 700 ± 50 rpm in neutral

6. Loosen the distributor adjusting bolts and turn the distributor housing counterclockwise to advance the timing or clockwise to retard the timing.

7. Tighten the adjusting bolts and recheck the timing

8. Disconnect the outside vacuum hose (#15 or 25) from the diaphragm and apply vacuum to the outside diaphragm with a vacuum pump (I usually use my mouth hehe). The timing mark should advance an additionnal 6 degree.

9. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the vacuum advance diaphragm and pinch the end of the hoses. The timing should be 4 degrees

10. if advance is not as specified, check the advance diaphragm and the distributor advance mechanism.
------------------------------------------------------

The instruction #3 isn't clear. But from what said the the other instructions (and the pictures), I think that the #3 is only there to check if the vacuum is working properly, you have to plug them back on the distributor and adjust the timing to the proper value (15 degree or 20 degree) with everything plugged in. Once it's set, you unplug vacuums and check if everything is working as it should.

This was taken from the 86 Honda shop manual. tell me if I'm wrong or if things have changed for other years.

Hope it helps

MIKE