PDA

View Full Version : EGR block-off

custom
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
i know yall herd this like a million times...this is one million one. i searched but was unable to find out how anyone car ran with the EGR pluged, but still connected. i didnt run my for long after blocking it off because i still have to block off the EGR connection that went to the exhaust manifold. so how did anyone car run with the EGR blocked?

russiankid
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Mine ran fine when I was testing it and had it unplugged.

AccordB20A
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
ive never had any issues by unplugging it apart from an error code. motor still ticked over mint

Civic Accord Honda
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
on my legend i gotta a cel and 10mpg

custom
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
nahh, i can tell you now unpluging it wont work. you know how it'll idle like a cam in it, when its unpluged? maybe, its just my car...maybe. but that valve needs to move unless you some how trick it. but i just took the rout of blocking it off.

Hauntd ca3
09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
dont unplug it
just make up a plate to go between the end of the tube and the valve right up at the inlet mani.
that way it still looks hooked up and is no big thing to remove at test time
it wont throw you a code or anything but might just run a bit rough at idle

AccordB20A
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
ive never understood the whole egr thing. every car i get with it i remvoe it completely

Rendon LX-i
09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
dont unplug it
just make up a plate to go between the end of the tube and the valve right up at the inlet mani.
that way it still looks hooked up and is no big thing to remove at test time
it wont throw you a code or anything but might just run a bit rough at idle

So your saying to put a plate on the egr itself on the manifold....And the light wont come on? isnt there still vacum going to the egr itself and the sensor would read its not working? Idk im working on the same shit since im going turbo.

EricW
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I just put a plate between it and the intake manifold with some gasket maker between the plate and the intake manifold to keep from getting any vacuum leaks and kept it plugged in. I cut the egr tube and pinched it off like a like a toothpaste tube and put it bake on the header.

Rendon LX-i
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I just put a plate between it and the intake manifold with some gasket maker between the plate and the intake manifold to keep from getting any vacuum leaks and kept it plugged in. I cut the egr tube and pinched it off like a like a toothpaste tube and put it bake on the header.

ummm i have to do that....tired of the fucking light man lol.....

GTRSkyline43
09-07-2008, 08:40 PM
i just unplugged the number 16 hose...

Hauntd ca3
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
So your saying to put a plate on the egr itself on the manifold....And the light wont come on? isnt there still vacum going to the egr itself and the sensor would read its not working? Idk im working on the same shit since im going turbo.

i dont have the egr tube from the ex to the inlet anymore since i run headers
but i did leave the valve at the inlet there and plugged in
i just made a blanking plate to block it off and i never had a cel or anything other than a slightly low idle speed

carotman
09-08-2008, 02:50 AM
EGR isn't supposed to work at idle. There's no real gain from unplugging it.

russiankid
09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
ive never understood the whole egr thing. every car i get with it i remvoe it completely

It recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake. It helps lower emissions.

Rendon LX-i
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
i dont have the egr tube from the ex to the inlet anymore since i run headers
but i did leave the valve at the inlet there and plugged in
i just made a blanking plate to block it off and i never had a cel or anything other than a slightly low idle speed

Cool Now i know ...thanks man

custom
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
CAROTMAN, its going to be more gain with my turbo... i found the problem my blaster coil was going bad. i put a factory bosh soil from my GOLF on their and it works better than before. just to let yall know, i took my head of to redo my port job and my pistons look perfect (normal wear). i can tell the power difference. i never really catches switching through third now. ima get a stage 2 disk by christmas. just burn the hell outa this one. theirs a couple of good races left....

Accordtheory
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Just thought I'd throw in a little more info on egr. Exhaust gas recirculation reduces oxides of nitrogen, a key ingredient in smog, by reducing combustion temp, by replacing more air with inert exhaust.
Egr can also be used to increase fuel economy the same way. Instead of running lean to increase dynamic compression, you can just the use the egr and run (the rest of the mixture) at 14.7. Under high egr valve openings, you will need to add more timing to compensate for slower flame propagation, but the fuel economy increase will be thoroughly worthwhile.
What you guys here are specifically interested here is performance though, the egr does not affect performance other than by heating up the intake manifold slightly more..(take off all of the pointless coolant hoses) the valve is not open during acceleration, (or idle) just during cruising. There is no real reason to disconnect it. From the factory, the egr is not used aggressively enough to result in a decent fuel economy increase, it's more just an emissions reduction device.

So unless you have some special reason to disconnect it, I'd recommend just leaving it intact.

Rendon LX-i
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Just thought I'd throw in a little more info on egr. Exhaust gas recirculation reduces oxides of nitrogen, a key ingredient in smog, by reducing combustion temp, by replacing more air with inert exhaust.
Egr can also be used to increase fuel economy the same way. Instead of running lean to increase dynamic compression, you can just the use the egr and run (the rest of the mixture) at 14.7. Under high egr valve openings, you will need to add more timing to compensate for slower flame propagation, but the fuel economy increase will be thoroughly worthwhile.
What you guys here are specifically interested here is performance though, the egr does not affect performance other than by heating up the intake manifold slightly more..(take off all of the pointless coolant hoses) the valve is not open during acceleration, (or idle) just during cruising. There is no real reason to disconnect it. From the factory, the egr is not used aggressively enough to result in a decent fuel economy increase, it's more just an emissions reduction device.

So unless you have some special reason to disconnect it, I'd recommend just leaving it intact.

True.....That was my plan to leave it connect, but for some odd reason im getting the CEL under load on 4th gear pressing 50 Percent Throttle...So idk what is the deal i check the egr and vacum test working fine...CEL been coming on ever since i did the 450cc and afc...But i also have a 4th map sensor map the load on that is causing the Egr sensor trip out casuing the CEL to come on so idk im stumped..Guy on HMT had the same prob and he has a 4th accord so there for im clueless on this man but what u think it could be?