PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes won't start and 2K idle speed...

Josh89accord
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having a few problems with my '89 LXI. Its got a new A20A3 engine in it.
I Have a manual 5 speed in it also. As the title says, sometimes it starts right up, and sometimes it dosen't show any signs of firing. Also, when it starts, the rpm's are around 1500, then usually go up even more til about 2000. Thats way too high for idle.

I'm thinking:
Vacuum leaks
Main fuel relay
Fuel pump
Distributor cap
or something else I don't know or think about?

Input?

2oodoor
09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
has it always been this way or when did it start, and what all has been done to it recently.

Josh89accord
09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Ever since I have had it ( July this year) it has, but I just got the net engine in it last month, and ever since I have had the new one in, it has had this problem.

2oodoor
09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
ahhh it could logically be a list of things but I will go by the recent history

throttle cable could be too tight, pulling on the throttle/there should be a little slack in the cable
check fuel filter
check your coolant level, and bleed the air out via the bleeder up by the thermostat
make sure you do have a good fresh thermostat btw
vacuum line routing, make sure none of the thermo vacuum switches have been bypassed or plugged off by the installer
Of course a good ignition tune up never hurts, dist cap, rotor button, plugs and maybe wires// at least coil wire should be inspected

Josh89accord
09-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Hmm, Maybe the slack in the cable is the problem? There is none... Do those 2 nuts adjust that?

Demon1024
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah they do that.
it still spins the engine to speed tho right? did you install the engine?
was the thermostat housing change from the old engine or was there one on the new one that was just left on maybe? = tw sensor more so if if it does it more when the car is warm already or the coil could be craping out. i'm just adding to the list tho try what roodoo2 said first

nswst8
09-10-2008, 04:13 AM
I just swapped out my starter didn't snug down the pos + connection and the starter was disengaging because of the poor connection after tightening it, it starts first time everytime. It seemed like poor compression, glad it only was the connection.

Also check your fast idle valve.