PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so when it comes to making a CAI...

sedanman
09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
:sad2:In order for everything to remain fully functional, what all vacuum hoses on my lx-i will i have to incorporate? all of them? what about the ones on the driver side which go into the filter housing? Just wanting to do things right the first time. On my other CAI i have on my other car, i didn't run a line from the crankcase to the intake like "you're supposed to" i just stuck one of "them there tiny little nifty filters on it. I just don't want to install a CAI and then lose my cruise control or something like that, i have absolutely no problem doing some minor fab. work. I was just checking.

Demon1024
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
i think theres a how to on this. use the little filter,it's easier (was 4 me),leave the old filter box remove the filter in it. tada that's it!

Pico
09-11-2008, 06:26 AM
if you want to connect the vac.hose to you CAI you can use this kit or make something like it, it's what I used http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-8711-Optional-Installation-Hardware/dp/B000BQ090Y
Here's the how to on making a CAI http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166&highlight=cold+air+intake

sedanman
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
i think theres a how to on this. use the little filter,it's easier (was 4 me),leave the old filter box remove the filter in it. tada that's it!

well i knew there was a how to, i've only read it twice...lol ok skimmed over with intent. But i was just worried about losing something like my cruise control or something. and what were you talking about leave the old filter box? You mean run the CAI to the tube that goes to that box, but remove the filter? because i was going to run the CAI straight to the TB... like it's supposed to be... :omg:

2oodoor
09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I remember something being a little tricky with the 86-87 models, some vacuum line that goes to a sensor for the ecm or something. You cant just plug it off it has to get fresh intake air .

A18A
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
hmm odd, on my car the only hose that was attatched to any part of my intake piping was just the rocker cover breather :-/ doesn't make much sense to me having anything that requires vacuum before the TB? what am I misunderstanding here?

2oodoor
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
ok here is link on the topic, not the best or the one I was looking for but it gives you an idea of what the deal is
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4404&highlight=intake+hoses&page=2

sedanman
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
ok. remove little black box from bigger black box and put filter on it, and then just drill holes for the other two vac lines and plug the one for the crank breather? and when i get a header, plug one of the holes with a manual tranny drain plug? lol ok... got it.... maybe

JeremyR
09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure what year yours is, but I have an `87 LX-i, which apparently has more vacuum lines than later LX-i models. I removed all of the original intake plumbing (there's a lot of it!) up to the throttle body.

I ended up reconnecting all of the vacuum lines except #18 (coming from the black box), which I believe connects to the A/T idle control solenoid valve and the fast idle control solenoid valve. I initially did connect this line, but was not able to get the car to idle properly in all conditions (A/C on, car in gear, etc.)--would always stall when shifting into gear. Without #18 connected, everything seems to work just fine, although the engine idles a little high in Park/Neutral with the A/C off. Have had this setup for a few weeks now and haven't seen a CEL either.

Cheers,
Jeremy