PDA

View Full Version : engine flooding

boyce
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
hi all.i am new to the site.i just bought a 1988 honda accord lxi and it has a problem.the engine is flooding and will not start.i check the main reley and it's good.its getting good spark.when the engine is flooded i can pull the fuel pump fuse and it will fun untill the fuel run out and then it will die.we i put the fuse back in it will flood the engine.can someone help me .thanks.

moonjaw2002
09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
It sounds like your fuel injectors are leaking.I had the same trouble,the #3 cyl would fill with gas.The car would start and run after blowing all of the gas out of #3.Mark

Oldblueaccord
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60400

might try this one too.

wp

boyce
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
i replace the injectors with some from the junk yard and the same problem.i will try the coolant temp sensor.i try to check for a code in the computer,i turn the key to the ignition and the light on the computer stay red (no flash).shouid the light flash???

Oldblueaccord
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah the light should flash blink the codes. A solid light may mean a bad ECU. I think also there is a ground wire asscoiated with the injector hold downs that is very very important. I think it is a loop lug that goes under the fuel rail or the nuts and studs. If the injectors are fully ground they prolly just dump fuel with the key on.

Also our injectors have the resistor pack,sliver box on the drivers side, alot of cars do not.

wp

boyce
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
do you have a pic with that wire??.is there a test to make sure it is the computer?.thanks

boyce
09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
i just went to the car took the drivers seat out,remove the plastic cover over the computer and what i found is that the computer had got wet and some of the terminals are rusted.so i will be going to the junkyard this weekend.thanks for all your help.hopefully i will be running this weekend.

Dr_Snooz
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
is there a test to make sure it is the computer?.thanks

Yes. Honda addresses this frequently in their manual: "replace the ECU with a known good ECU." If the problem goes away, it was the ECU.

Great test, eh?

Demon1024
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes. Honda addresses this frequently in their manual: "replace the ECU with a known good ECU." If the problem goes away, it was the ECU.

Great test, eh?
2x lol
that pisses me off too. you'd need a backup comp of sorts to check the main tho

boyce
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
update!!.replace the ecm and she runs.after the car warms up it wont idle.check the code.it is a code 9.its crank angle sensor.so i will play with that later.

Oldblueaccord
09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Let us know if it continues to flood. That does have something to do with your injector pulse width I think. Good find on the ECU getting wet. Might want to mount it up off the floor until you can find the leak.

wp

Dr_Snooz
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
update!!.replace the ecm and she runs.after the car warms up it wont idle.check the code.it is a code 9.its crank angle sensor.so i will play with that later.

That one will be expensive.

boyce
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
went to pull a part grab a distributor,put ti on the car reset the ecm and it runs good,no more check engine light.but now when the car worm up it idles to low.were is the idle control valve??.does the coolant temp sensor helps with idle??.the car has bein sitting for two years.