PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing what can break on an old car.

DBMaster
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
In the bright sunlight today I thought that my brake lights might be stuck on, but I didn't know for sure until I got home and pulled into the garage. I found a little rubber bumper and some bits of blue plastic on the floor. The little rubber bump stop from the brake pedal that pushes in the brake light switch fell apart. How's that for an obscure part? One pack of assorted rubber bumpers from Auto Zone later and it's fixed. I don't think I have ever seen that happen before. It's goofy.

The part is available from Majestic for $1.44, but without needing anything else the shipping and handling would make it a $10 part.

Civic Accord Honda
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
werid.. reminds me i need to plug the brake lights back in on my 3gee being driving around with them disconnected for the past week haha

A18A
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
its better small things like that fail rather than ball joints & wheel bearings :D

itzdave
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
:rofl::lol: that same thing happened to me one time!!! i just epoxied a penny on the back of the pedal and that fixed it!

DBMaster
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I put in a carriage bolt to fill the hole and it worked, but after thinking about it for a while I decided to replace it with something made of rubber. The penny ought to do the trick. Finally! You found a good use for a penny!

2oodoor
09-12-2008, 03:39 AM
mine did that, I thought it was wierd they have a hole there to begin with. It must be an assembly line thing.
I used a 1/4 inch bolt and nylock nut to fill the hole.

russiankid
09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm with roodoo. My clutch one went first. I heard a pop everytime I let go of the clutch. Then my brake lights stayed on all the time, so I just used a bolt that I had laying around.

Hazwan
09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Mine is still fine, at least from what I can see like a year ago. I guess someone must have replaced it before. This thread reminds me to check that thing again. That would suck leaving the car overnight with both brake lights stayed on, leaving me with flat battery.

Demon1024
09-12-2008, 10:06 PM
too pennies and tape :)

labeledsk8r
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
mine fell apart on my lx-i on both clutch and brake, a washer and screw with nut fixed it though, nothing shocks me anymore on these cars

RamThis
09-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Back when mine was on the road I had the same thing happen. I used a rubber self stick appliance "foot" or button or whatever you call it. Worked fine. I think it's still on there in the shell of the car now lol.

nswst8
09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
If one falls apart the rest aren't far behind. Change those out too.