PDA

View Full Version : charging problem?

import racer
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
ok i go out this morning to start car and nothing happens just the lights come on.so i pop the hood and stick the bat charger on it.about two hours latter i try and it starts right up,i have a 2 amp charger.i take it to the garage and get it checked and they say it's not charging.i just put a new alt on last month,do you think the alt shot or could it be something else.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
did you check the grounds? also throw on a thicker wire from the alt to battery 8gauge at least,

Dr_Snooz
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
If it were a dead battery, the lights would have gone very dim when you tried to start it. I suspect the starter solenoid. Try whacking it next time it happens. Also, there's a good charging system troubleshooting procedure in the manual that you'd do well to step through before starting a lot of Hail Mary repairs.

import racer
09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
you mean the one that goes from the alt to the fuse box on the fender.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
09-13-2008, 02:56 PM
you mean the one that goes from the alt to the fuse box on the fender.

no the wire from the alt goes to somewhere on the engine to ground it for a part then to the starter, the wire from the battery goes to the fuse box, ive replaced that on mine to

import racer
09-13-2008, 04:05 PM
went over all connections and cleaned them ,made sure the were tight.can't find anything else so i guess it's the alternator.

forrest89sei
09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
are you near a Autozone?

they do free load testing, just go there have them hook the machine up to your car and they can tell you if it's the alt then and there

nswst8
09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Alt belt tension. Check that all the hold down nuts on the alt are tighten.

I put in a new starter and it wouldn't start on the first turn of the key. Thought it was bad compression. turned out that the pos nut cross threaded and didn't seat properly.

import racer
09-16-2008, 07:53 AM
well check the alt out and it's fine,so know i don;t know what it could be.still don't which wire from the alt to the bat you're talking about,the one on top of the alt goes to fuse box on fender and the plug has a white/green,a white /blue and black/yellow.which are you talkung about.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
well check the alt out and it's fine,so know i don;t know what it could be.still don't which wire from the alt to the bat you're talking about,the one on top of the alt goes to fuse box on fender and the plug has a white/green,a white /blue and black/yellow.which are you talkung about.

no the original wire goes from tee alt to starter, im saying since the wire is a piece of shit and 20 years old. not even big enough to handle the current put a bigger one on. and the wire goes to your fusebox? mine comes from battery to fusebox, oh wait wow your talking about the 3 pin plug in arnt you buddy?

import racer
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
well i checked the bat and it was 13.7 ,then i took the neg cable off while it was running and it stayed running but ran rough.i called a garage and they said it was the solenoid.does this sound right.

import racer
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
bump

Dr_Snooz
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
My post above addresses the solenoid. You might consider reading it when you get some free time.

import racer
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
well had it on the charger over night and when i went out this morning it was dead again.borrowed bat booster from the garage and it started right up.took it to electrical shop and he said there was a 4 amp drain on the bat.so i came home and disconnected the neg terminal ,put test light in line and started disconnecting things to track down short.took the wire of the top of the alternator and the light went out.so called the electrical shop and he says the short is in the alt.so take back the new alt and get it replaced and put that one on.have to wait til morning to see if it's dead or starts.