PDA

View Full Version : I'm so stupid.

hewofmatt
09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I've driven my car for about 1500 miles thinking that the transmission was slipping. It was going to 2nd gear at 25mph when i had the pedal to floor. It would seem to slip between all gears too. I changed the atf fluid when i replaced a drive axle a few months ago. I also changed the Throttle Body. Anyway, i just figured that the fluid was wrong, even though it said that it worked for all dexron. I looked under the hood today and noticed that i forgot to tighten the bolts to the cable that goes from the TB to the transmission, and the cable was off the bracket.
Less than a minute later it was fixed and now it seems to work great. Here i was thinking about an engine/ 5spd swap in the immediate future--or just getting another car-- just for one stupid little bolt i forgot to tighten. Stupid.

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Zoinks! That'd be an expensive fix for a loose bolt. Glad you got it fixed cheaply.

ghettogeddy
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
shoudl do the 5 speed swap anyways lol

russiankid
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Should still put Honda ATF in there.

hewofmatt
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I've never driven a 3g with a stick. Is it that much better?

hewofmatt
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I've read that honda atf makes a night/day difference over the dexron II even though the dex is a recommended fluid. I should do that.

forrest89sei
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Night and day :rockon:

I've read that honda atf makes a night/day difference over the dexron II even though the dex is a recommended fluid. I should do that.

Honda didn't make it at that time, it also has friction modifiers and some other goodies

russiankid
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM

I drove a 5th gen Accord with an automatic and I would prefer my 3gen with a 5-speed over the auto.

So yes its a big difference.

86ccord
09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I drove a 5th gen Accord with an automatic and I would prefer my 3gen with a 5-speed over the auto.

So yes its a big difference.

oh yes. i will second that one.

hewofmatt
09-13-2008, 08:12 PM
hmm, i had a 97 accord ex v-tec automatic. I didn't think it was that bad, but then again, i never drove a 5th gen stick either.. I havent driven many sticks period. Just a toyota pickup, a ford 250 diesel, and the BMW 318 hatch. All were relatively slow, especially the trucks.

I teach and am still a full time student, so it looks like I'll have a nice project to work on next summer if i do a tranny swap. I've read they can be tricky.

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2008, 08:25 PM
It's all about the dry clutch. A torque convertor sucks up massive amounts of horsepower and gives nothing in return. A manual clutch delivers every ounce of power to the wheels and you don't have to fight the stupid thing shifting at the wrong time. My auto's getting tired and a swap is definitely on the agenda.

russiankid
09-13-2008, 08:28 PM
It's all about the dry clutch. A torque convertor sucks up massive amounts of horsepower and gives nothing in return. A manual clutch delivers every ounce of power to the wheels and you don't have to fight the stupid thing shifting at the wrong time. My auto's getting tired and a swap is definitely on the agenda.

Don't you just love the sport mode in BMW's so they pull to redline in every gear.:rockon:

MessyHonda
09-18-2008, 10:57 PM

lol....i went from a carb auto to a fuel injected 5 speed...i loved it so much i put in integera gears, stage 3 clutch and 8 pound flywheel...now i adore it...

chowder
09-19-2008, 11:41 AM
my carb 5spd dx is way better than any auto ive driven, i like the close ratios in these cars, only other manual i really liked that ive driven is my buddies 03 celica gts with that hig rev 6 spd close ratio deal quick little car, but manual over auto on the street anyday.

2ndGenGuy
09-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Torque converters actually do torque multiplication. So they're do return something. From what I understand, they begin losing efficiency at higher RPMS though, which is where they are teh suXor.

Hauntd ca3
09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
a converter duz multiply torque until you get to coupling point which is where the turbine which drives the trans in turning at roughly 90% of engine speed.
the lower the revs the more multiplication there is and it drops off more and more as revs rise.
but once the lock up clutch is applied the power loss compered to a manual is not that much
especially with honda autos which are pretty much a manual trans just wiht clutch packs to engage a gear and a converter instaed of a clutch
honda autos are very efficient when sat beside an old shitty planetary gear style auto
which most manufacturers still use for some bizzare reason

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
a converter duz multiply torque until you get to coupling point which is where the turbine which drives the trans in turning at roughly 90% of engine speed.

I'm not sure I understand how that works. A dry clutch spins at 100% of engine speed all the time, unless you are actually shifting. There is zero power loss. With a torque converter, you expend a certain amount of power to get the oil moving. How can you lose power to the converter oil and still get torque multiplication?

Anyway, every auto I've driven feels like I'm flogging a dead animal to get it to move.

MessyHonda
09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
yeah on my auto i just like the torque....the good thing about manuals is that you can keep it in gear and have all the power of the engine...but when you shift you lose a bit of power...thats why i got a short shifter and shorter gears...so more engine power gets to the ground instead of loosing it thru the clutch