PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting Car

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Hey Guys,

The past couple days my car has a new and wonderful problem. :banghead: When I try to start the car after it has been sitting for a while it will turn off right after I start it. If I crank the ignition again at this point the car won't start. I can eventually get the car to start by pumping the gas several times and trying again, and then as soon as the car starts I pump the gas again so it won't shut off.

What do you guys think is going on here? BTW, my car is an '89 LX (Carbed). It has been very well maintained according to the maintenance schedule published by Honda. Please help! :confused:

Erika

Jdub07
09-24-2002, 12:10 PM
I would do a basic tune up and spray some good ole carb cleaner into the carb.

ACCORD EX
09-24-2002, 12:20 PM
did that happen after a gas fill ! ? may be you got some shitty gas in there ! if it happened after a gas refill so you can clean the carb with a carb cleaner and change your fuel filters !

does it drive normally after that ! ?

MIKE

DanG86LX
09-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Sounds familiar:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5746
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2463
I have the same problem with cold starts in the morning. It is fuel related, filters or the fuel pump might be weak..

In my case (my fuel pump is 2 months old), I found a problem with the float bowl vent thingy (attached to carb). It has a wax thermovalve inside, mine is stuck open. If I just plug the vent hose, the problem disappears.. No wonder so many ppl here removed it.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-24-2002, 04:10 PM
The car is about due for a tune-up anyway, so we'll try cleaning out the choke mechanism. I doubt the problem is related to a bad tank of gas because it runs fine once I get it started (not sluggish or anything).

We replaced the fuel filters about 15K ago, so I'm fairly confident that those are in good shape.

It could very well be the fuel pump. Does anyone have a way to test whether this is the problem or not before I go and buy one of these suckers?

Erika

AZ89Accord
09-24-2002, 06:04 PM
There is a way of testing your fuel pump preassure and volume of fuel pumped. If you can get a repair manual, is there. I could post the whole process for if you don't have it.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-24-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by AZ89Accord
There is a way of testing your fuel pump preassure and volume of fuel pumped. If you can get a repair manual, is there. I could post the whole process for if you don't have it.

Do you need any special diagnostic equipment for that?

Erika

DanG86LX
09-25-2002, 08:01 AM
Buy a fuel gauge (could be fuel/vacuum) and like 2' fuel line and some Ts. Connect the T and the gauge right after so called in line fuel filter (in the engine bay area near the brake reservoir). Start the car and let it warm up.
- Gauge should read 2.6 to 3.6psi.
- Stop the engine, and redirect the fuel line (from filter) to a 2L bottle. Start the engine again and measure the fuel output per one minute. It should be ~0.7L.
Note: if should be enough fuel in carb for one minute to complete 2nd test.

Fuel filter is chip and it is worth changing it every year rather than coping with dirty carb problems.
Other possible causes (from manual):
- clogged air filter
- week battery or ground connections
- vacuum leaks.

Hope this help.