PDA

View Full Version : Water Cap Came Out Of The Block Help!!!!!

kyaccord
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I was on my way to work today and the cap thats pressed in the block came out and all my coolant drained out. anyone know how much they are and has it happened to anyone else? theres 2 caps right under the exhaust manifold its the one closest to the driver side. how much and its it fixable? its an a20a3 89 accord lxi

carotman
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Ahouldn't be too hard to get those from the Dealer or Napa. Pressing them with the engine in place might be a pain tough.

However, since all your coolant drained, I suggest you remove the radiator to get more work room.

kyaccord
09-16-2008, 03:10 PM
now heres the real question i called the dealer they cant get them but he told me they could be a 20 mm a 30mm or a 35mm should i just measure the hole and see if i can get one to match it up at like autozone? you have any idea y it would have came out? im thinking the thermostat is stuck closed. i just put a water pump on it and it didnt kick open when i was letting it heat up.

ghettogeddy
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Ahouldn't be too hard to get those from the Dealer or Napa. Pressing them with the engine in place might be a pain tough.

However, since all your coolant drained, I suggest you remove the radiator to get more work room.

arent they on the back under the intake

nswst8
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I would say that is a likely possibility. Anytime you do the water pump always in my opinion swap out the thermostat.

Good idea to get as mush room as possible to tap the new one in.

ghettogeddy
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I would say that is a likely possibility. Anytime you do the water pump always in my opinion swap out the thermostat.

Good idea to get as mush room as possible to tap the new one in.

i agree change the t stat there only like 7 bucks anyways just dont forget the gasket

kyaccord
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
ive got everything out of the way now i called the dealer and they cant get them for that year but autozones gonna get the measurements for me and just match it up. i only payed 450 bucks for the car and now ive fallin in love with it lol. thanks for the help

LX-incredible
09-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Topline or whatever makes a set of plugs for our blocks. Be sure to get the thermostat from the dealer. I haven't had much luck with the aftermarkets on these cars.

kyaccord
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
that i can do lol

cygnus x-1
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
ive got everything out of the way now i called the dealer and they cant get them for that year but autozones gonna get the measurements for me and just match it up. i only payed 450 bucks for the car and now ive fallin in love with it lol. thanks for the help

I have an extra set of freeze plugs (entire engine) if you can't source them locally. I could send them to you.

C|

kyaccord
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
how much you want for them?

kyaccord
09-17-2008, 06:54 AM
quick question should i put something on them when i go to putting them in the block?

nswst8
09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
No nothing needed to seal. Or you could apply a very thin film of blue RTV before seating new freeze plug.

Personally I apply a thin film when I install freeze plugs.

evil88accordLX
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM
usually freeze plugs are a PITA to get out. im wondering what would cause one to fall out?

kyaccord
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
i replace it and the termostat and water pump now. i think the reason that it blew out was cause i had just water in it and the thermostat wasent openin up so it had nowhere else to go

nswst8
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a good reasonable deduction to me.

cygnus x-1
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
how much you want for them?

I lied. It's not a whole set. The two small plugs that go (I think) in the front and back of the block are missing. But the other 8 large (35mm) plugs are there. How about $10 shipped? I don't think I'll be rebuilding another engine anytime soon so they aren't any good to me.

C|

EricW
09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I had to use a slide hammer to remove the freeze plugs and it took several hits. I'm surprised the water pump could create enough hydraulic pressure to push one out with out a seal or something else failing first.

Dr_Snooz
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I had to use a slide hammer to remove the freeze plugs and it took several hits. I'm surprised the water pump could create enough hydraulic pressure to push one out with out a seal or something else failing first.

The pump is not the problem. "Freeze plugs" are designed to pop out if the block freezes. That way, you replace a $0.10 plug and not a $3,000 block. The other reason you'd get a freeze plug failure is if the coolant system has not been properly maintained. Rust and acid has been circulating for however many miles, so the freeze plugs eat away and pop out.

Kyaccord, if you plan to keep the car, and from the sounds of it, I suspect you do, you would do well to replace all the freeze plugs, flush the system thoroughly, check for bad hoses (including bypass hoses), replace the thermostat and be ready for more to go wrong with the cooling system in the near future.

Good luck!

kyaccord
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
anyone know where i can just get a a20a3 block? and if i was to bore one what pistons and rings would be best to put in it? anyone know if the crx or anyother honda pistons will interchange with them?

nswst8
09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
If you have the time just send the block to be cleaned. If not replace all freeze plugs and flush the hell out of the system using rust removal solutions designed for the cooling system.

Then put a premixed 50/50 and add an anti rust solution.

If you don't want to do it, which I don't see why not. Take it to a professional and have one of their coolant flushing machines do it for you.

I do mine when ever I change the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Its time consumming but I believe its worth it.

LX-incredible
09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
anyone know where i can just get a a20a3 block? and if i was to bore one what pistons and rings would be best to put in it? anyone know if the crx or anyother honda pistons will interchange with them?

If you went to the trouble of building a block you'd want to replace the freeze plugs anyway. Doesn't seem very bright to take a car down for an engine build because of a $2 part. Pull the radiator and exhaust manifold and hammer one in there. importperformanceparts.net has a topline freeze plug set for $8. If you want to try and get one of the larger plugs individually: 3171 35mm.

nswst8
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
If it is too difficult to get to the other freeze plugs then roll the dice and replace what you can. But if you can get to the others fairly easy, then they should be replaced.

You are going to have to weigh the odds of one off the others failing.

kyaccord
09-18-2008, 10:26 PM
i just replaced the one and therm. water pump. its running just fine now i was just wanting an extra block so i can start building one from ground up this winter.any ideas on how biga bore i should go with? and what pistons and rings and is there any pistons and stuff that i can get off of a crx or newer accords? i want to do it with all brand new parts just dont know much about whats interchangable between the a20a3 and other honda pistons. so if anyones got an extra block let me know im gonna try and build one lean mean 4 door supreme lol

kyaccord
09-18-2008, 10:28 PM
one more thing does anyone know if the 90-93 bumper will fit a 89? and what about the fenders. a guy where i live has a body kit and z3s and only wants 250 aka drug money for all of it

evil88accordLX
09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
one more thing does anyone know if the 90-93 bumper will fit a 89? and what about the fenders. a guy where i live has a body kit and z3s and only wants 250 aka drug money for all of it

with enough time, money, and some fab work you can make just about anything work...

kyaccord
09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
lol yeah aint that the truth. so do you know if the bumpers line up pretty good? and what other bumpers are interchangable with the 89 accord

nswst8
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
lol yeah aint that the truth. so do you know if the bumpers line up pretty good? and what other bumpers are interchangable with the 89 accord

Sounds like you need to head to the junk yard and find the answer.

kyaccord
09-19-2008, 11:23 AM
lol yeah i think im gonna head there this weekend and get a shit load of stuff to play around with