PDA

View Full Version : Car not always starting

87SIA20A3T
09-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok, so sometimes my car won't start. it doesn't try and too turn over, but I have 12 volts and everything works BUT the starter. I figure my starter took a poop, but could it be something else?

nswst8
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Get a multimeter and ohm the starter.

Put one lead to the single spade connector at the top of the starter/solenoid and the other lead to the body of the starter.

Then take the lead fron the body of the starter and put it on the covered grounding lead on the solenoid not the positive lead.

If it checks out remove and clean and reconnect positive connection.

88Accord-DX
09-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Also, test the ignition switch with a test light, making sure it lights up in the crank position.

Most starters have 12 volts there with the ignition on, just jump a wire to the small terminal on the solenoid. It should kick the starter over. If it don't your solenoid or starter is bad.

edit- You'll need to remove the starter for testing of the solenoid & starter. (easier to take it to the zone & let them test it on their machine)

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2008, 09:34 AM
You'll need to remove the starter for testing of the solenoid & starter. (easier to take it to the zone & let them test it on their machine)

Or you could whack the starter with a wrench.

88Accord-DX
09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I like to smack them a few times with a hammer. If you got to start hitting the starter it's on the way out. Another trick is to jump the starter over is to arc a screwdriver from the positive to small terminal, just be ready for some sparks.

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I like to smack them a few times with a hammer.

Wow! Anger management, bro. One good whack should be sufficient. L0L ;)

Does anyone know what Kragen, et al. actually check when you take them your old starter? I was looking in the manual and it said to check voltage, amperage and rpms while cranking. Does Kragen check any more than that?

2oodoor
09-21-2008, 02:02 AM

Correction: use a ball peen hammer, that is wrench abuse
:report wrench and rachet abuse to 1-800-BAD-TOOL

Oh and it takes at least two smacks to properly resonate the impact to achieve brush contact or armture position.

87SIA20A3T that sounds like a poor connection (batt, ign switch, ground, or neutral saftey/clutch safety switch malfunc) unless it is the starter sol assembly. Like everyone has said.

87SIA20A3T
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
solinoid has to be good, I hear a 'click' everytime I turn the key. From what I gather, it could either be a bad connections or the starter. So just put the car in ON and use a tester against the + part on the starter?

nswst8
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Check your battery wires, make sure they are in good shape. Clean the battery post and the terminals.

It could be your ignition harness at the steering colum I had a bad one when I first bought the car in 94. I don't know how to test it though.

And just take the starter to autozone to have it tested. Sounds like your not sure how to test it. I test them all the time at the junkyard that way and have had no problems as of yet.

2oodoor
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
solinoid has to be good, I hear a 'click' everytime I turn the key. From what I gather, it could either be a bad connections or the starter. So just put the car in ON and use a tester against the + part on the starter?

a click would be a relay sound, a solenoid should hit hard (it is on the starter itself) they can be internally damaged from poor connections or weak battery.

87SIA20A3T
09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a good connection at the starter, getting 12 volts, and I have a new battery. Starter is no good? and its the starter without the reduction gear setup, is that Nippon-denso starter or what?

nswst8
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
square or round?

Dr_Snooz
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Correction: use a ball peen hammer, that is wrench abuse
:report wrench and rachet abuse to 1-800-BAD-TOOL

I'm guilty, someone hide me!

;)