PDA

View Full Version : Idle fluctating

damackz
09-24-2002, 02:45 PM
ok i am having a problem with my idle going up and down like when i am driving as well as when it is parked at times........this is causing my car to stall what could be the problem?!?!!? my car is auto btw, plz dont say FPR cuz i replaced dat a month ago, could it be clogged up fuel filter.........................there is also a buildup of carbon in the throttle body which i have cleaned so yeah any ideas would be helpful thankz :banghead:

netfreak
09-24-2002, 04:09 PM
I've seen this cleaning remedy posted before here.. Try a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner or something that you spray into the throttle body and it'll clean your valves and whatnot. I don't know if that will help much. I haven't been able to find any of the stuff locally to try.

damackz
09-24-2002, 04:16 PM
well u can buy throttle body cleaner which i have used..........:huh:

YK86
09-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Did you clean the fast idle valve on the back side of the intake manifold?? That will cause weird idling. You also need to clean out the idle speed screw hole (remove the screw completely) and spray inside with carb cleaner.

damackz
09-24-2002, 08:27 PM
did that no the idle fluctuates more :help: like it idles fine when it starts up and runs for a min den it starts going up and down....when i cleaned my fast idle valve, i opened it and it was filled with either gas or some other black liquid and den disappeared??! :stick: i dunno i am gonna take it for a test drive right now to see how it drives

DanG86LX
09-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Hey buddy, u posted earlier about u fuel filler pipe problem. Have u solved that? Have u cleaned ur carb, i mean take the top out (6 screws) and clean float bowl and all idle passages ? Replaced all fuel filters ?

87accordlxph
09-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Check for vaccume leaks.
Spray carb cleaner at the ends of the hoses. If the engine revs up then that's the problem.
It might also be the pvc valve (test by shaking it, if the spring loaded device moves it's ok if it doesn't change it.)
The EGR valve could also be the culprit.
To test this you need to apply a vaccume (I don't remeber what
the value was) to the valve and the car should die.
Try all of these.
I'm assuming that you did a full tune-up on it???
Need more info on that.

-Mike

ACCORD EX
09-25-2002, 08:56 AM
guys he is an EXI FUEL INJECTED !

anyway check your PCV valve ! it really makes a lot of problems !

MIKE

89BlackH-Back
09-25-2002, 09:03 AM
my car is doing the same thing its at my dads frioends garage right now i jus dropped it off and will have it back in a few hours but he thinks its the idle control sensor, if it is i will let you know what he does to fix it

damackz
09-25-2002, 10:00 AM
cool man let me know what happens, yep changed da fuel filters used methly hydrate to clean the tank, used carb cleaner on the idle screw hole, the fast idle valve as well as the throttle body, k where is the pcv valve as well as the egr valve i think i got a good idea but stupid haynes dont really show u what exactly...........yeah its got a full tune up except for the spark plug wires which i will change soon........thankz for the input ppl

anchovies
09-25-2002, 01:06 PM
is in the faq
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69

damackz
09-25-2002, 07:36 PM
thankz what about the egr valve?

damackz
09-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Now i am harsh thinking its the idle solenoid valve gone wrong cuz like the car idles fine after u start it up but after a lil while then it starts going up and down which is controlled by the idle control and the idle valve solenoid controls that...........i would check it but sucks not having a vacuum pump guage.......so newayz do u guyz have any more info on the valve such as more symptoms and such!?

damackz
09-26-2002, 12:46 PM
went to my tech and we found out that it was vacuum from a hose connected to the advance unit causing it now to find out y

89BlackH-Back
09-28-2002, 10:08 AM
well i now know why it was doing that and it is fixed, i found a shit load of seeds in my intake when i took that apart and i didnt realize it but the selals on the filter were broke and one of the seeds got into the idle control valve and plugged it up, so id check that control valve because u may not have a seed stuck in it but a shit load of carbon build up

njpeter
10-03-2002, 07:12 PM
you got field mice living in your intake..sprinkle hot pepper flakes around the engine area

anchovies
10-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by njpeter
you got field mice living in your intake..sprinkle hot pepper flakes around the engine area

you ain't kidding eh :p

njpeter
10-04-2002, 02:52 AM
if the seeds were eaten or not ihad them chewing the wiring int he tailight housing area..found way too may acorns in the power steeringarea, they ATE the air cleaner on my truck which I only use for hauling

89BlackH-Back
10-06-2002, 08:38 AM
exactly you only use it sometimes, my car sat in the yard for like 5 months because i was caught streetracing as long as the car aint moving its a new home for something

jteuton
10-06-2002, 10:24 AM
MIne sit for 4 months when i did my tranny swap (waiting on flywheel) and now it has a fluctauting idle problem after you crank it up......it starts about 2-3 minutes after you crank it and it revs up and down. I guess something crawled into my intake and made a home too. It never did this before

njpeter
10-06-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm looking.

jteuton
10-06-2002, 07:11 PM
I got an 88 auto tranny i'm selling for 150 bucks