PDA

View Full Version : cv axle clip rings

2oodoor
09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes those round rings that fit into the grooves cut in the splines.
What if you left it out of the inboard joint outer spline that slided into the tranny or intermediate shaft which ever one you have? would it make the axle fall out? (cant get the splines to slide in past that groove part if there is a ring on it. )
How about the one that snaps in to the outboard joint to shaft? (that one keeps coming off or sliding down the shaft when I pop the joint on).

help/advice on this please I dont ask for much :uh:

I could be wrong but my thought is the axle cant go anywhere once it is bolted in but those snaps are to hold the assembly together for handling. but I must be wrong ?
I have heard of cv shafts/joints popping out during driving, is this the cause or what gives?

greentee76
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know about the outer one, but the inner one will definately pop out of the trans and dump all of your fluid at the same time. By the third time it happens (in one day) you'll be pissed! 7$ a qt Honda MTF all over the ground!
What I ended up having to do to make mine snap ring finally seat in the trans was to file out the groove until the ring did not bind at all. The splines tend to get crushed a little bit into the groove which causes the ring to bind so that it will not expand when it gets to its spot in the trans. Hope that makes sense.
Good luck with it.

2oodoor
09-20-2008, 01:45 AM
sounds good, thanks

LX-incredible
09-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Take the ring off and bend it so it sits tighter / reduces the gap.

bullard123
09-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Yes I agree with Lx-incredible. Or you can just go to the junkyard and very carefully remove another one without bending it outta place too much and reuse that one. I was able to use the same one I took off of the prelude axle with one of the slots hooked in. What did you use to get it off? A small pair of vice grips worked perfect for me

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Those snap rings are supposed to be replaced whenever the shaft is removed. Are you using new ones or the old ones? The old ones can get buggered up/misshapen with plier teeth marks, etc. You can also try compressing and stretching the rings as needed to get them in without difficulty, but still get a positive click when installed. I wouldn't try to go without. Also check to make sure that the driveline seal (on the tranny) isn't getting jammed between the shaft and the diff. It's not common, but can happen.

Just out of curiosity, what's prompting this repair?

2oodoor
09-20-2008, 01:18 PM
well you can't leave it out on the outboard joint that is obvious..:uh:
I got the inboard one resolved. The other one is just to big and the groove is way too narrow. I am going to look at some assortments maybe, I have tryed every one I had out of four axles.

Oldblueaccord
09-20-2008, 05:14 PM
It takes a pretty sharp rap to get them to seat in the transaxle. I think on one I did I had to use a block of wood against the cv park and bang it in. Not sure if thats what you are asking.

I guess make sure the old one is not in there to start with and the spline length is the same.

wp

2oodoor
09-21-2008, 01:52 AM
right now the problem is with the outer joint, keeping it on the shaft.
The cv joint will not click on the shaft, the ring keeps sliding. I found another ring and I lightly filed out the groove some but I didnt have a pipe or socket big enough here to knock that sucker in hard enough.
I had problem too, with the rubber damper contacting the strut fork. Remember this is a right side axle going on the left side to the intermediate shaft in the B20. I am probably going to have to cut it off, or either remove the shaft from the car and start over.
I may even wind up buying a reman shaft and swap the inboard prelude joint over to it and call it another half a day:uh: