PDA

View Full Version : T belt tensioner bolt

2oodoor
09-20-2008, 12:59 PM
from hell. anybody ever have a hard time getting that sucka loose. I am really scared it is going to break, it does not feel good pulling on it that hard.
This isnt left handed threads is it?

russiankid
09-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Its regular threading. I had a tough time getting it loose myself. You need to get some kind of cheater bar that will fit on the wrench you are using and having someone push down on the bolt while you're loosening it so it doesn't snap.

AccordB20A
09-20-2008, 02:11 PM
cant say i have had many problems. i use a few ringspanners to get mine out, put one on the bolt and the other ones ring thingee over the open end so you can join them together and get leverage. i doubt it would break, but if it does it does and theres nothing you can do.

2oodoor
09-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I can put enough on it with my snap on rachet but it feels like it wants to break. B20A PITA

2oodoor
09-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Its regular threading. I had a tough time getting it loose myself. You need to get some kind of cheater bar that will fit on the wrench you are using and having someone push down on the bolt while you're loosening it so it doesn't snap.

another problem with that is there is no room for anything other than a regular wrench or short socket and ratchet head. It was a pain just getting the cover off, had to remove ac idler pulley which was no cooperating either.
Thank you russiankid for your response to all of my threads asking for answers, it helps.

Just like everything else on this project, ten steps to accomplish one.. may have to loosen all the motor mounts and push the motor over to make room or pull it out completely to use an impact on the T belt tensioner bolt.

this, along with my other seemingly simple resolved problems I have been asking about, is just another obstacle that anyone could run across so posting it and see what others reply is very helpfull for anybody who will run across these issues. It looks like I am the first one posting about this and true it does seem unusual but hey, this mutha is stuck... Ive done dozens on other cars and never had this happen.

russiankid
09-21-2008, 05:12 AM
I had my crankshaft pulley off and the cover was off as well. That is why I could fit a cheater bar onto my wrench. Of course this was on my A20, but I doubt it is a lot different from a B20.

It will feel like it will snap. I was worried mine would too. So I pushed on top of the bottle really hard while my brother with a cheater bar broke it loose. If indeed it does break, can't you get a new bolt?

Civic Accord Honda
09-21-2008, 05:46 AM
weird i just used a small wrench and it was very easy lol

2oodoor
09-21-2008, 02:12 PM
If it broke that would be a significant FAIL, getting hardened steel bolts with no head out of aluminum can be tough if even possible sometimes.

YAY ! I jacked the motor up and put a four foot cheater on it. TINK OMG it sounded like an atom bomb then I saw it was cool. whew
That thing was bending and moving some without popping loose, that is why I was scared it may be trying to break.

Dark Accord Ive been working and or advising on cars, for a living, a long eh l o n g time and I never ran across one this hard to break. Bear in mind I was not using air tools cuz I am in my carport. LOL you were lucky on yours, maybe it wasn't a virgin.

OldSkoolA20accord
09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
mine broke. i tightened it too tight and it snapped.

found one on ebay for 2 bucks. so i bought it.

there was a broke peice sticking about 1/16 of an inch out of the block. it came out just by twisting it with my fingers.

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Glad you were able to get it loose. I'm not sure if you had enough room to swing a hammer, or if you thought to try it, but a few taps on the far end of a box end wrench make a very effective impact wrench. I suspect it would have worked well in those tight quarters and could have saved you from hoisting the engine...again. :(

Dad told me about the time he went to a Porsche dealership and watched one of their mechanics work on those ferociously expensive machines. All he had was box end wrenches and a ball peen hammer. No impact guns, no cheater bars, just a hammer.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with the swap. If anyone can get it fixed though, I know you can. :)

2oodoor
09-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Ah didn't hoist it, just had the cam side engine mount off & the dogbone and then a floor jack under the oil pan.
I do not recommend the cheater bar on stuff like that but it was the only out in this case.

A18A
09-22-2008, 04:52 AM
i usually stick a ring spanner on tight bolts and hammer it untill they break loose :) though my tensioner wasnt as tight as you described, maybe whoever replaced the cam belt on your engine or 20 years of age REALLY wanted to make sure it wasnt gonna come loose haha

2oodoor
09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
i usually stick a ring spanner on tight bolts and hammer it untill they break loose :) though my tensioner wasnt as tight as you described, maybe whoever replaced the cam belt on your engine or 20 years of age REALLY wanted to make sure it wasnt gonna come loose haha

It was a virgin, original belt I believe. This engine is supposed to have 50K miles or less, and I beleive it cuz it was as clean under the T cover as it was on the outside.

russiankid
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
If the bolts breaks off that is because it was to tight. I doubt that a hardened steel bolt with chew the threads in an iron block. That is why if the bolt breaks it will just unscrew afterwards.

Anyways glad you got it off. When I did my timing belt after the time I had to do my oil pump, the bolt came off without any issues. It did have the "pop" to it, but it didn't require to much force.

2oodoor
09-27-2008, 05:02 AM
aluminum block B20A ? if the head broke off because it would not break loose, chances are it would have to be drilled out if heating it up did work.

russiankid
09-27-2008, 07:00 AM
aluminum block B20A ? if the head broke off because it would not break loose, chances are it would have to be drilled out if heating it up did work.

Oh I didn't know the B20 had an aluminum block.

2oodoor
09-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I guess it does%% feels like aluminum, lol
I feel pretty stupid if it isnt, I assume it is alum with steel sleeve cyl.

Dr_Snooz
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe want to use some anti-seize on that one for next time.