PDA

View Full Version : some questions

marc49
09-24-2002, 03:34 PM
ok, sometime this week I am taking my car in to have some work done to it.

It needs an alignment and I think the right cv joint is bad because I get the knocking when I make left turns. But I also think there may be other problems involving the suspension in the front and/or back..

So my question is how much are certain parts (I am lazy and don't have the time to do the research myself)?

like upper ball joints, any bushings etc.. just let me have it man :omg:

sanjay
09-24-2002, 03:41 PM
mine was doing the same thing.
I fixed it by taking off all the wheels, and putting them back on properly and tightly....
the problem should go away....
if it doesn't, i reckon its a CV joint

TeKKnoTeKK
09-24-2002, 05:17 PM
well it definetly sounds like a CV joint/axle....I believe those are about 200$ to replace

89cordlx
09-24-2002, 06:57 PM
cv's are expensive..... I broke both mine (hehe) and it cost me $500 something in all

AZmike
09-24-2002, 08:44 PM
You can check your CV joints by trying to shake your axle between the two joints. If it rattles, it's bad. Both mine went at about 165k.

jigga225
09-24-2002, 09:57 PM
cheap shops around here do one dv joint for $140

Jims 86LXI HB
09-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Ya know it's really not much more at all to replace the whole axle with 2 cv joint's on it, that way you've got one less joint to worry about. I paid like $110 at the dealer for a left side axle. And If you find that you need to get into replaceing any bushing, PLEASE pm me or email me I spent $80 on some factory rear control arm bushing and I want them to go so someone that needs them. But I really doubt you will need them, but if you do, just ask. I've never priced ball joints so I don't have a answer on those. Oh, if you find out that it's really a left side cv, let me know I'll pull my brand new axle and sell it to you hecka cheap, college discount;)

marc49
09-25-2002, 08:06 AM
I pretty much know it's my cv axle, and yes it's much easier and cheaper to just replace the axle than just "rebuilding the joint".

but I am going to have them check my suspension thoroughly to see if anything else is wrong also.. Jim, I may take you up on your bushings for the rear, I do get some "squeaking" in the rear when I go over a speed bump and I believe that is caused by worn bushings if I am not mistaken..

rbeaud
09-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Ya know it's really not much more at all to replace the whole axle with 2 cv joint's on it, that way you've got one less joint to worry about. I paid like $110 at the dealer for a left side axle. And If you find that you need to get into replaceing any bushing, PLEASE pm me or email me I spent $80 on some factory rear control arm bushing and I want them to go so someone that needs them. But I really doubt you will need them, but if you do, just ask. I've never priced ball joints so I don't have a answer on those. Oh, if you find out that it's really a left side cv, let me know I'll pull my brand new axle and sell it to you hecka cheap, college discount;)

Which particular bushings did you buy? I'll be diving into my suspension front and rear this fall (got fr Koni's for $165!). I;m guessing it's the lower arm bushings (all eight!) and trailing arm bushings. I might be interested.

Cheers,

Roland

rbeaud
09-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jigga225
cheap shops around here do one dv joint for $140

And NAPA will sell you a lifetime warranty axle for $60 + core. I can swap axles in about 3 hours- and that includes bypassing the lower control arm bolt since it is rusted into the bushing sleeve.

Cheers,

Roland

netfreak
09-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Hmm my car has a knocking sound when doing right turns. Am I correct in understanding that replacing the axle fixes this?

Jims 86LXI HB
09-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by rbeaud

Which particular bushings did you buy? I'll be diving into my suspension front and rear this fall (got fr Koni's for $165!). I;m guessing it's the lower arm bushings (all eight!) and trailing arm bushings. I might be interested.

Cheers,

Roland

Well I kinda did promise them to marc, if it turn's out he doesn't need them, you can buy them cheap. Here's the part number off the each bag 52365-SE0-004 I have 8 of them.

rbeaud
09-26-2002, 07:10 AM

Well I kinda did promise them to marc, if it turn's out he doesn't need them, you can have them. I'll I'd ask is to paid for shipping them if marc doesn't need them and you do. Here's the part number off the each bag 52365-SE0-004 I have 8 of them.

Sure thing. Call me Mr. Second-in-line then.

Cheers,

Roland

rbeaud
09-26-2002, 06:19 PM
Well I kinda did promise them to marc, if it turn's out he doesn't need them, you can buy them cheap. Here's the part number off the each bag 52365-SE0-004 I have 8 of them.

Got any other suspension stuff left over? I know at one time you and I discussed KYB strut mounts.

Cheers,

Roland

Jims 86LXI HB
09-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rbeaud

Got any other suspension stuff left over? I know at one time you and I discussed KYB strut mounts.

Cheers,

Roland

When I did find the KYB rear lower strut bushing, I only found one. And ya know what, I think I tossed it after it wasn't what was needed. I've got the used right front Koni strut that I thought was messed up. But when I let it sit upright all day and then compaired the new replacement I bought to sell the whole set, I flat out could not tell the differance between it and the new one, go figure. I guess when I talk to Koni one of these day's I could ask them if I could sent it to them for a clean bill of health. Other than that, I'm saving the neat KYB strut booties for my next car:D Nothing else, (cept for stock springs that I'll sell on day)

Oh, btw I found a 87 sedan at the junk yard that has tokico blues on it. And lowering springs, pretty sure they are Suspension Techniques 2" drop springs. I pulled one front to check it out and it felt like new. I'm thinking about pulling them and either selling them or seeing who want's to be a guenie(ms) pig for me to test them.