PDA

View Full Version : takes a long time to start?

Accord89DX
09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
hey all, I have a question about my 89 Accord DX. Its the 2.0 carbed motor. My question is, If I let the car sit for a few days without starting it, when i come out a try to start it, it will crank and crank and crank. It will finally start and once it starts it runs fine. I have no other issues (stalling, surging, rough idle, missing) None of that. Its just hard to start after sitting for a few days. It seems with time its getting worse. Normally when i start the car i will pump the gas like 2 or 3 times but when it is doing the hard starting thing it seem like pumping the gas doesn't really help. Now if the car is warm or and been started in the last say 12 hours it will start right no problem. Please if anyone can give me some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. I feel i need to take care of this problem before winter comes around.

Mike

MessyHonda
09-27-2008, 08:55 AM
sounds like a dirty carb...clean it and change the fuel filters.

84Accord
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
my engine does the same thing if it sits for longer than a day without being started

russiankid
09-27-2008, 10:02 AM
sounds like a dirty carb...clean it and change the fuel filters.

Sounds like the fuel is evaporating from the fuel bowl and the lines are dry. Change your fuel lines and at the same time change the filters. You may have a slight air leak somewhere.

Accord89DX
09-28-2008, 07:41 AM
im kinda new to the world of honda's. I've been a chevy man all my life and i use this car as my daily driver. so if anyone could steer me in the direction as to where the fuel filters are that would be cool. And im assuming they way you said fuel FILTERS there is more then one? I'll try cleaning out the the carb also when ever the rain stops here.

russiankid
09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Yes there are two fuel filters. A main one and a secondary. The main one is behind the rear drivers side wheel. It sits behind the trailling arm in a cup that screws to the body. The filter is white and has a line running to it and from it. The secondary filter is in the engine compartment. It is located on the drivers side near the firewall, pretty much right under the windshield wiper motor.

While you're at it, replace all of the lines. To replace the fuel lines that go to the tank, you will have to remove the trunk carpet and board, then using the access cover that is on the drivers side(round in shape), you can access the fuel line. It is a single line since carburetors do not have a return line. Don't forget to replace the fuel line that connects the metal line to the body, this line is located where the trailing arm mounts to the body.

HTH.