PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch

My 89 Accord Lxi
09-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Is it realy hard to change a clutch cuz i noticed that the clutch is cheap but auto shops charge a arm a leg and a couple fingers for them to install it:werd:

Dutchboy
09-24-2002, 06:53 PM
it can be if you arent that mechanically skilled,,,,its more time consuming than anything really.
you have to make sure that you take your time and make sure you remember were everthing goes ...

If yo have a friend or someone else to help you who knows what to do that would be even better...

BEn

GreenMachine
09-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Not that bad, basically if your confident, have the tools, and have haynes manual then ya shouldn't have prob.
Definetly need jack stands and prob a friend. :)

ACCORD EX
09-25-2002, 05:53 AM
not easy ! never done it on our cars though !

download Pauls service manual ( there is a link on my site's home ) and you will find everything there !

MIKE

bobwilliams89lxi
09-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Transmissions on our cars aren't really that bad to work with, a couple of months ago i had to replace my clutches, and i have had some experiece with clutch work, but if u dont know how everything goes and works together, then I would take it to a shop, by friend had to have his replaced in his 89 LXI and the local import shop did it for 315.00$[u.s.] parts and labor, which really isn't that bad. I am currently back in high school, so I dont have time to replace my tranny that went bad last week, so I boght a used one and i am having the same shop install it, they told my it takes aroudn the same amount of time to replace the dlutches as replaceing the tranmssion becasue they have to pull it out either way. he quoted me 140.00$ to replace it, thats just labor, and i belive it is worth it becasue if they mess somehting up, they pay for it.

i dont care if my 3gee goes throught 20 transmissions, im gunna fix it everytime:cool:

RobT5580
09-25-2002, 03:21 PM
I wouldnt do it unless your mechanically inclined i did mine probably about 5 times so im pretty good at it now. I had to pull it twice because Napa Clutches produce a lot of chatter so finally i just got my money back (dont but theyre clutches) and then the spring broke for the fork so i had to pull it again and i used a honda clutch which was great. And i had my tranny seize up because my original mechanic was a POS and a hacker so thats what got me started on my mechanical skills. Be very very careful where u take your car trust me. I only bring my car in for allignments and to have the exhaust installed. I even had trouble with Sears doing my mounting/balancing my rims. They cross threaded the lock and then they fixed that but damaged my wheel and 2 months later i finally got a new rim.....

My 89 Accord Lxi
09-25-2002, 06:51 PM
:eek: shit thats cheap compared to what they charged my mom for her sentra...she had like 3 or 4 cluthces put in over a year span...and they charged her 600$ the first time cuz they had to get the clutch but the other times she bought the clutch with her and they chagred 350-400$ i told herr that they are ripping her off bad and she gives me this like evil eye twitch thing and i just sat down in the shop and shut up ... i dont have any exprecie with clutches but i do have the haynes manual u guys think i can do it?

shepherd79
09-26-2002, 03:55 AM
i did it last summer. it took me about 2 days. I wasn't in a hurry.
it was nice to work on it because our transmition is light. you can pick it up with one hand.
it is not that bad. you just need to take time with this thing.