PDA

View Full Version : My engine seized up or something..

JDMFEVER
09-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi guys I'm new here.

My mechanical knowledge of cars is pretty bad so don't flame me for not knowing much outside of suspension tuning.

anyway I got my 3g for my 18th birthday, its an 88 Accord LX-i with a 5 speed transmission, new clutch, 1000 dollar price tag. (someone beat me to buying a turbo supra so i had to buy this instead. I also didn't call the owner of a turbo RX-7 FC before someone beat me to it aswell)

ANYWAY (sorry redundancy) to the point

I drove it for nearly a month and was just about ready to take my road tests and get my full license when my check engine lights turned on. Stopped at a gas station, my dad figured we should put a 40w in it, after we checked the oil, it was REALLY low. after that the car was fine, we let it idle and then continued to drive. I got on the express way and going uphill the car started to slow down, thats pretty normal, so I downshift and accelerate to keep up the pace, and I am stuck at 65mph and I had to push my revs higher just to keep that speed. after i got up hill it seemed okay, I went back into 5th. but everytime I eased the throttle i would just lose all power, so I increased to 6k . I still felt a lot of powerloss, it just got worse, eventually I had to pull over because the car began to make a clunking noise and was shaking violently, i pulled to the side and shut it off. After debating what to do my dad wanted to try and drive it home since we were about 2 miles away from our exit. So i started it up again and it wouldnt go past 5mph and lasted about 10 seconds before stalling.

I don't know whats wrong with it. Anyone have any idea what it could be? this happened a while ago so thats the best detail I can give. I am without a car which makes it nearly impossible to find work in Michigan. (Finding any job here is difficult as it is.) I have no idea what to do :|

halp :3

ghettogeddy
09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
so the car starts up and idels fine

paul
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Try 5w30 weight oil in the engine, straight 40w is too heavy for it...

2oodoor
09-28-2008, 02:59 PM
clunking noise and violent shaking never is good
if it cranks and idles fine like Ghettogeddy asked, then look at the drivetrain.
If it is clunking a whatever just sitting there not moving then you likely have serious engine problems. If I had to guess, the crank is toast or could be just a head gasket. any obvious oil leaks ?
Straight 40w oil is not good for any engine except air cooled equipment in hot climates.

Civic Accord Honda
09-28-2008, 03:31 PM
if the engine light is on what code is the ecu thowing ?

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
^^ Ditto.

kyaccord
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
check the fuel line sounds like it could be a bad pump or a filter getting clogged up. just a guess though

1987AccordLx-i
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
did the temp gauge go up at all?? smoke?? if it still starts then it could well be the drivetrain (blown trans) but if it just makes a tick when you turn the key.. save up for a new motor bro.. this has happened to me

if it sounded like this when you were on the hill running the shit out of it then its blown man.. sorry to say but yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bq3t0e6Qrw
heres my vid

this is what mine sounded like when it was about to blow.. but i decided not to drive it and i saved the crank and the pistons from being mutilated.. you can PM me and i can help you out.. im always on haha

greentee76
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
new clutch

I am stuck at 65mph and I had to push my revs higher just to keep that speed.
I'm guessing that someone screwed the pooch on the clutch job. And if the engine was low on oil, what about the trans?
Neither of which matters if he doesn't come back and answer any questions.
I'm in Michigan and maybe willing to help if he's not too far away.

HondaBoy
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
you didnt happen to change the oil after buying it did you? thats the first thing i'd recommend doing after buying a used car. if you did change it, did you see anything like metal particles? if not, you might cut open the oil filter when you get a chance. see if there's any large particles that look suspicious like saw dust or metal. i dont know if they still use the old saw dust trick or not but i remember that being told to me for years that would quiet the engine or differential. anyways, let us know whats up with the car.

Demon1024
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
WOw in the engine? i think that was just for joints, but i could be wrong. WOW

HondaBoy
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
you wouldnt believe what people tell me they find after changing the oil and other fluids in newly bought used cars. a wonder some of them can produce enough oil pressure!

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I always look at the dipstick before I buy. Not sure why, but I just want to see how it looks, clean or gunky, full or low, etc. Tells a lot.

rfiks
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
good ryte up

Demon1024
10-11-2008, 11:18 PM
good ryte up

yep.....:slap:

Kabuki
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Try 5w30 weight oil in the engine, straight 40w is too heavy for it...

That's absolutely retarded. The weight of oil is not going to make that much difference at all.

If the engine starts and runs at idle, then it's really does sound like a fuel pump. Still could be igniter, though. We need more info, but since this guy hasn't responded, he probably won't.