PDA

View Full Version : Need some input/opinions

Demon1024
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
O.k. first off my car has this noise i havne't been able to isolate. 4k rpms up it'll make this almost ticking noise. timing right on,any octane gas.only does it when I push the car light accel. it doesn't happen. tried retarding the timing but still nothing. had someone else drive it and they said they didn't hear anything.this started happening sometime after a sports converter was installed and have heard they can cause a noise like an exhaust leak but this is more of a ticking,so i dunno
any suggestions on what else to check would be appreciated

Also when doing the valves
Instead of doing them cold would it not be possible (maybe better) to get the engine HOT and gap them to just above 0? just something i thought of cause of the noisy valve trains in these cars.

Demon1024
10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Theres no way to check the main bearings without tearing it apart is there?

Oldblueaccord
10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I would not do the valves hot really. No way to no the growth of the head etc. If i think of it Ill check mine sometime I need to do the valve cover it seems I can check it warm.

Do you think the noise you hear is the intake switch over? Mine comes on about 5k rpms but I never liked the sound really it sounds like old school valve float.

I think the higher octane is a good test JIC it is pinging. It is possible the distributor is over advancing at high rpms besides plugging the vacuum lines off I guess. it be hard even with a timing light to see it with the bellhousing in the way.

wp

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I would not do the valves hot really. No way to no the growth of the head etc. If i think of it Ill check mine sometime I need to do the valve cover it seems I can check it warm.

Do you think the noise you hear is the intake switch over? Mine comes on about 5k rpms but I never liked the sound really it sounds like old school valve float.

I think the higher octane is a good test JIC it is pinging. It is possible the distributor is over advancing at high rpms besides plugging the vacuum lines off I guess. it be hard even with a timing light to see it with the bellhousing in the way.

wp

Intake switchover? What's that?

Oldblueaccord
10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I think its on the 88 and up Fi cars maybe only. there 2 sets of runners and a butterfly valve that opens at about 5500 rpms to help with high rpm power. It makes a differant sounds that I never had liked. It really does sound like your motor is going to blow up at least to me.

wp

Demon1024
10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
secondaries are diabled due to....well maybe not it's an 88 black box but an 86 ecu thats done by the box isn't it?i'll look on\\into that. but 4k? i thought it was like you said about 5k. i'm starting to think it's a bearing or something going in the motor. the oil pump is almost new but i do push it alot... i'm going to start looking for parts anyway. i figure for the first (going to do 2) just rings and bearings oil/water pumps,and see how long it lasts.
problem is i've never done it myself. i've torn down the whole engine before but never to put it back together. shouldn't be too hard tho...

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I think its on the 88 and up Fi cars maybe only. there 2 sets of runners and a butterfly valve that opens at about 5500 rpms to help with high rpm power.

Not sure that made it any clearer. ?

Demon1024
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
does valve float make a ticking noise? i might try that first,getting new springs that is...

and that was a pretty good def. of the secondaries btw

Oldblueaccord
10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.pakwheels.com/images/forums/2008/1/4/intake_7F3_PakWheels(com).jpg

Looked all over for this little pic. The intake has 2 sets of runners long and short.

wp

Dr_Snooz
10-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Okay. I'll have to read up on that more. I assume that would simply allow more air in at higher rpms? You're saying that a butterfly valve would open allowing air to flow through these additional runners or simply that one set of runners would draw more air depending upon engine speed? Thanks for being patient with me.

Demon1024
10-06-2008, 02:58 AM
float maybe noise? any way to test?

cubert
10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
when it happens is there any change in power?

Demon1024
10-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes thank you it does dwindle a bit. i'm not going to like taking the head off again but here i go (next weekend last day off 2day:))