PDA

View Full Version : Looked at an 88 LX-i today but have some ?'s

zacritz929
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
First off a used to have an 88 LX-i accord. Well today I went to look at another 88 LX-i for a winter car. The guy told me that it needed an alternator so I bought one and went to the guys house. Alldata says the DS halfshatf has to come out but from what I read on here, you dont need to remove the DS halfshaft to get the alt out unless the car is carb'd. But when I looked at the car today it looked as if there was no room to get the alt out. And also I remembered my first accord only had 1 o2 sensor on the exhaust mani but this one had 2 side by side. Seemed kinda weird to me.

Basically i want to know why this one had 2 o2s.. And how do you get that alt out?

Vanilla Sky
09-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Remove the air cleaner box and you can snake it out to the passenger side. It's a tight fit and you have to tumble that alt a lot, but it will come out that way.

zacritz929
10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Ok but why did this one have 2 o2s right on the exh mani?

2oodoor
10-01-2008, 06:41 AM
it is fuel injected the other one was carbed I would guess, needs two sensors.
Getting the Alt out...
I would rather just pop the axle out myself, seems quicker, as long as the axle nut didnt give any problems coming off.
Like Vanilla Sky says you can tumble it across to the other side, but IMO that is not fun either plus you risk disturbing coolant lines, oil filter and what not thru there. It is a coin toss really.
I have been lucky so far and every time I removed alt. I already had the intake manifold off so it was easy.

evil88accordLX
10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
my car is carb'd and can remove the alt w/o the DS. there is a tab on the right side of the block (looking at timing cover) that can be filed down, the alt will then be able to pass through the DS and the block.

kyaccord
10-02-2008, 08:07 PM
i got an 89 5spd ill sell ya when i get the rest of it put back together