PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ Brake Lights (draining the battery)

OptimusPrimeSr
10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
So the brake light on my dash has been on for some time now. Not the one that indicates a problem with the actual brakes, but the one that indicates a problem with the brake lights. I simply assumed that one of my brake lights was out and let it go...(been busy, got married/honeymoon).

Anyways, yesterday evening, I go out and find all three brake lights on (rear windshield and the left/right brake lights). I try stomping on the brake pedal thinking its stuck or something...nope. I turn the car on and it BARELY starts like the batter is almost dead. I go to the grocery store and back and the whole time the lights were on. It had been a long day so I just disconnected the battery and went to bed.

Today I'm going to troubleshoot/fix the issue. My first place after here is to check the fuse box. But then I had a dream where it crossed my mind that maybe the brake lights all go on once BOTH tail lights have burnt out...no idea. A more likely cause is faulty old wiring on a 22 yr old honda. sheesh.

Anyways...I was hoping someone here might have some ideas about what to do.

Thanks!

Civic Accord Honda
10-01-2008, 01:49 AM
the button above the peddle is broken i believe someone else on here will know more about it then me but iv seen this topic come up alot
good luck au

labeledsk8r
10-01-2008, 01:50 AM
tail light swtch is blown or the button came unpressed check that out

OptimusPrimeSr
10-01-2008, 02:20 AM
wow! thanks for the quick responses. is the "button above the peddle" discussed in the haynes manual, or will i just sort of know what it is once I stick my head down there?

OptimusPrimeSr
10-01-2008, 03:04 AM
nm, found an illustration in the haynes...will check it out and update.

OptimusPrimeSr
10-01-2008, 03:52 AM
well that wasn't too bad...just got light out and went to check the brake pedal.

The problem was/is the rubber "plug" that sits on the brake pedal arm, between the brake switch and the arm. I found the plug crumbled into 3 pieces on my floor mat. Without this rubber stopper, the brake switch doesn't make solid contact with the brake pedal arm.

I'm going to 'rig it up' and head over to advanced auto for a replacement. Thank you so much for the quick and helpful responses. I don't know what I'd do w/out this forum...probably have to buy something a little newer.

nswst8
10-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Just use a 1/4" nut and bolt until you can get the plugs from honda. There are three of them. Brake, Clutch, Cruise control.

I couldn't find any universal plugs at the local auto stores.

OptimusPrimeSr
10-01-2008, 05:19 AM
nice...good idea...need to go to ace hardware anyways for a propane tank for my new grill. just rigged the pedal with electrical tape and two washers.

Dr_Snooz
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
just rigged the pedal with electrical tape and two washers.

Love it! :bowrofl:

DBMaster
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I just had this happen to mine a couple of weeks ago. I bought a pack of assorted rubber plugs at Auto Zone and shaved one of them down to replace the broken part. A carriage bolt works really well because the head is smooth and rounded, but you already got it figured out.