PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket replacement!

Kaotic1
10-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey guys just wanted to know how hard is it to change out a head gasket!

nswst8
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Depends on your experience.

Everyone has to do their first one sometime. These are not that difficult. Bag and label your bolts and have a manual and you should be good to go.

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I think this has come up before. Just to recap though, if your toolbox consists of a hammer and a Bic lighter, if you don't have a service manual, if your only repair experience to date is airing up the tires and you don't know a spark plug from a fire plug, you'd do well to skip this. Start with changing plugs, changing oil and the basic maintenance stuff first. Replacing the headgasket is a lot closer to rebuilding an engine than to changing an air filter and a lot can go wrong. If the above doesn't describe you, then go for it. Follow your manual carefully and proceed in a very linear and retraceable fashion like nswst8 suggests. If you get stuck, we're here to help.

Good luck!

2oodoor
10-03-2008, 03:08 PM
^^^ that would be a claw hammer, correct?

nswst8
10-03-2008, 03:11 PM
My tool box is home to the 3, 5 and 10 pound sledge hammer.

2oodoor
10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
^^^ modified the 10 lb, put a shorty handle on it.
Never stuggle with a pickle fork ever again!

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
^^^ that would be a claw hammer, correct?

Pfft. Whatever. Every mechanic knows that a proper toolbox consists of two and only two tools: a 2 ft. prybar and a sledgehammer. And none of that sissy 5 lb. crap either. We're talking 10 lbs.+

Honestly, if you don't know that by now, you really have no business working on cars.

;)

nswst8
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
The 5 pounder is for the my weaker left hand.

Kaotic1
10-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Right on! Thanks fellas I think i'm gonna go for it! I'll let you know how it goes!:eek5:

DBMaster
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
The 5 pounder is for the my weaker left hand.

So, why is your left hand so much weaker than the right? What have been doing with that right hand? :D

nswst8
10-04-2008, 05:32 PM
So, why is your left hand so much weaker than the right? What have been doing with that right hand? :D

Left hand 12oz curls, right hand works the two finger ***** pull.

DBMaster
10-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Good! I'd hate to be the only one. LOL

rfiks
10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey guys just wanted to know how hard is it to change out a head gasket!
:pc: be patient and get a "chilton" car manual from a auto parts store-oh and
did i mention b patient its a 3-8 hour job

88Accord-DX
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Save yourself some headache & pull the intake & exhaust manifold off with the cylinder head. Probably need a manual if this is you first run at doing one. You'll need a torque wrench. Take the head bolts out from outside to inside or you could warp the head. Labeling things is good for beginners as mentioned. Would also be a good time to put new valve stem seals on your valves, along with a timing belt. Use a good head gasket & don't cheap out on some ebay special b.s.

Good luck.

Kaotic1
10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Save yourself some headache & pull the intake & exhaust manifold off with the cylinder head. Probably need a manual if this is you first run at doing one. You'll need a torque wrench. Take the head bolts out from outside to inside or you could warp the head. Labeling things is good for beginners as mentioned. Would also be a good time to put new valve stem seals on your valves, along with a timing belt. Use a good head gasket & don't cheap out on some ebay special b.s.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips bro! That helps me a whole lot!

greentee76
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
My tool box is home to the 3, 5 and 10 pound sledge hammer.

What is this sledge hammer you guys keep talking about?
Ohhhhh.... You mean the Ford wrench:thumbup: