PDA

View Full Version : 86 Accord LXI 3Dr Combination Switch

85Skyhawk
10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Hello,
I am new to this site but have had my 86 Accord 3Dr LXI since 11/85. Being the original owner I would like to keep the vehicle all-original except for some performance improvements. Unfortunately I ended up lending my vehicle to my wife to use after her car was totaled. One day while getting into it her jacket pocket caught the turn signal arm and broke it completely off. I have searched many of junkyards to fine a replacement switch (discontinued from Honda) and only could find one out of an 89 LXI 3Dr. I am now using that switch but it isn't the correct one for my vehicle being the arms are to close to the steering wheel and the column covers do not fit. I am wondering if anybody has a switch lying around that would fit my 86? That year Honda split production and I have an early VIN that was made in Japan. If anybody has the correct switch or a suggestion please get back to me. I might end up pulling an entire column off an 89 just to get things looking good again but that will be a lot more work than I care for. Thanks for your assistance.
Regards,
Erik

codyJDM
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
:welcome:

It's awesome to hear you're an original owner. Glad to see someone with that kind of dedication on the board.

You can also try posting an ad in the "wanted" section of the trading post if you haven't already. Everyone here is really helpful and will more than likely have what you need or will go get it if they know where it's at.

Good luck!

Timaculent
10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
if you dont mind the price discount auto parts has it.

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2008, 05:35 PM
:welcome:

It's awesome to hear you're an original owner. Glad to see someone with that kind of dedication on the board.

Wow. Ditto that. Major props to you and welcome! I'm not sure exactly what all is inside of those stalks, but have you considered Krazy Glue? I've rescued a lot of plastic things with Krazy Glue. The trick is to let it sit overnight before using the part. It's nearly indestructible after that.

Failing that, don't forget that there are self-service junkyards like Pick-N-Pull and the full service ones that pull the parts for you. Try both, if you haven't already and leverage your Yellow Pages.

Good luck!

forrest89sei
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Rockauto Sells Replacement Combination Switches but there expensive :
http://info.rockauto.com/Airtex/1S1262.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1166903,parttype,4856,partGroup,78

if the weather permits it I'll look for a switch at pick n pull when i'm down there

85Skyhawk
10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Hello,
Thanks for all the responses! I have just about canvassed all the junk yards in my area and most of them have sold a lot of the older cars being scrap metal prices have skyrocketed. The tip about Rock Auto I am going to look into. I have purchased several things from them over the years and have been quite happy with their prices and service. If you notice there is a split in the 1986 production year at VIN GC022261 and my VIN is GC009152.

I'm thinking I bought one of the original 3Dr Accord's ever sold in this country way back in 1985. Like I said most of it is still original except for normal things like brakes and exhaust. By the way it only has 63K on it and has mostly been garage kept all of these years. Unfortunately my 85 Buick Skyhawk died this past spring with 250K on it and still going. The clutch fork broke on it and being it was a 5 speed nobody had a replacement. I could have easily gotten a fork for a 4 speed but that transmission was completely different. Now after all of these years the Honda is my daily driver but I only put about 150 miles per week on it so that isn't too bad.

The combination switch from the 1989 works okay but I can't get the column covers back on and it is sort of tight between the arms and the steering wheel. I'm afraid if I'm not careful I am going to break another arm off unless I can locate a decent wheel from and 89. It appears the 89 wheels are dished out more than mine and have 4 little horn buttons unlike mine which just has one big one in the center. To tell you the truth I like mine better because you can press just about anywhere on the wheel center and the horn will blare. I'm thinking somebody complained about the horn going off accidently so Honda redesigned it. Problem I have found with getting another wheel is that most have been baked by the sun and the vinyl has broke loose from the metal frame. Not that big of a deal just feels cheesy.

Anyway thanks for all your time in responding. If you happen to run across the correct switch please get back to me. Just remember I need the switch for a VIN under GC022261 so check it before you do all the work to pull one! I will also be checking the board for rear disk brakes and exhaust modifications tips. I pulled the complete front ends off the 89 so I have the larger disks in my garage already. I’m going to attempt to find an SEI Accord with rear disks but I’m not getting my hopes up. Saw one about 10 years ago that I pulled the console out of but it’s long gone along with the junk yard!

Thanks once again.
Regards,
Erik

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm thinking I bought one of the original 3Dr Accord's ever sold in this country way back in 1985. Like I said most of it is still original except for normal things like brakes and exhaust. By the way it only has 63K on it and has mostly been garage kept all of these years.

Don't mod anything! Keep it as is. For the love of GOD, NOOOOOO!!!

The clutch fork broke on it and being it was a 5 speed nobody had a replacement.

Not sure how it broke, but there's got to be a welder somewhere near you who can fix that? Probably not worth the expense for that car though.

I'm thinking somebody complained about the horn going off accidently so Honda redesigned it.

Nope. I can assure you that Honda has a long history of hiding the horn buttons where you're sure not to find them when you really, really need them. Keep your wheel because nothing's worse than having to go looking for the horn in an emergency. I don't dislike much about Hondas, but I dislike that, along with their overly intrusive safety devices (like heavy seat belt mechanisms on the ends of the doors, 3 different seat belt lights with a chime and another chime the moment you put the key in the ignition.) Good Lord Honda, stop the madness!!!

DBMaster
10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Good call on the key chime. I used to like to turn the key to the ACC position in my old Pontiac to listen to music while I worked on it with the doors open. Can't really do that on this car unless I unplug the chime box. It could be worse. The 4th gens had those INCREDIBLY annoying motorized seat belts.

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, and a key chime unit that I never could find. I had to unplug the under-hood fuse every time I listened to the stereo. Very frustrating.

Civic Accord Honda
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
the key chime is in the black box behind the center console just pull the box out open it u will see a round speaker in it i just shoved a soldering iron in it and no more chime haha^

edit : can you please post pictures of your hatch it sounds cherry :D

Demon1024
10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
i think i still have an 86-87 column steering wheel and all in my garage. you just need the combo switch? gimme a p.m.

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
the key chime is in the black box behind the center console just pull the box out open it u will see a round speaker in it i just shoved a soldering iron in it and no more chime haha^

edit : can you please post pictures of your hatch it sounds cherry :D

That kills your headlight chime too right? My box is gone, but I miss the headlight chime.

2oodoor
10-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Hello,
It appears the 89 wheels are dished out more than mine and have 4 little horn buttons unlike mine which just has one big one in the center. To tell you the truth I like mine better because you can press just about anywhere on the wheel center and the horn will blare. I'm thinking somebody complained about the horn going off accidently so Honda redesigned it. Problem I have found with getting another wheel is that most have been baked by the sun and the vinyl has broke loose from the metal frame. Not that big of a deal just feels cheesy.

Erik

I do not think I have seen one like that! both my 86 are like the 89. Maybe a 2nd gen Accord would be the same? Sounds like a short production car you have so I would try to keep it original by all means practical.

edit: I was mistaken, my DX is one big horn piece in the middle.

Oldblueaccord
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Might be time to look into using the split combo switches or even the ones for the 4gs. The stalks seem the same to me.

85skyhawk are you sure your car is a G code? what country is that ? I thought it was only J and 1 code cars.

I think I saw you 5 speed question on .dslreports.com a while back.

wp

Strahan
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Still need one? I was replacing my slip ring and noticed a crack in my turn signal lever. When I was at the junkyard I grabbed a turn signal switch as well as the slip ring. When I went to put it in though, it apparently isn't the same and didn't look like it would work. My car is an 88, and the donor was an 86 so this may work for you. When I get home from work tonight I'll take a pic and if you want it, just paypal me the shipping fee and PM me your address.

2oodoor
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
85 skyhawk is a J car, Cavalier ,Cimarron, J2000, Firenza, Sunbird
I would love to find a minty Cimarron

w261w261
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
<< .....I would love to find a minty Cimarron >>

OH MY GOD! The boy has taken leave of his (normally impeccable) senses! While you're at it, how about a Lincoln Versailles!

I'm going to forget you ever said this.

Civic Accord Honda
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
That kills your headlight chime too right? My box is gone, but I miss the headlight chime. nope headlight chime is under the dash somewhere else lol it never bothered me so i never tried to find it to kill it haha

Civic Accord Honda
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2331000 < haha my caviler i sold

OH MY GOD! The boy has taken leave of his (normally impeccable) senses! While you're at it, how about a Lincoln Versailles!

:rofl:

Oldblueaccord
10-08-2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/car-facts/vin-numbers/free-vin-decode.do

no i was thinking he meant G code as in the first digit of his VIN. I get what he is saying now.

wp

2oodoor
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM

oh no Vesaailles.. junk

1985 At the time, the J body was one of the first American cars built on a robot production line. I had a 85 Cavalier type hatchback and loved it. It was a great relief of the previous subcompacts made in the States. The Cimmaron was a baby 'caddy' and not too shabby IMO. They are extremely hard to locate now (in decent condition) and had relatively low production numbers.
Call me crazy, but I just had a fondness for those early J cars 85,6,7 models. I really don't care for them much after those years.

Dr_Snooz
10-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Okay, I had to eat crow once for taking a shot at Fords. This time, I'm just gonna let the J-cars roll on by............

rfiks
10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
maan' this guy can type

85Skyhawk
10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
oh no Vesaailles.. junk

1985 At the time, the J body was one of the first American cars built on a robot production line. I had a 85 Cavalier type hatchback and loved it. It was a great relief of the previous subcompacts made in the States. The Cimmaron was a baby 'caddy' and not too shabby IMO. They are extremely hard to locate now (in decent condition) and had relatively low production numbers.
Call me crazy, but I just had a fondness for those early J cars 85,6,7 models. I really don't care for them much after those years.

Hello,
If you liked the J cars then you would have loved my 85 Skyhawk T-Type. My dad ordered it from GM way back when with everything on it but the turbo. It was a wise move because besides it being a $1,000 option back then the engine wasn't built to handle it. All sorts of head gasket problems and turbo issues. Expensive repairs to say the least. I ened up getting 250K on it before the clutch fork broke on the 5 speed. It handled better than my Accord on the turns but didn't have the same power. When I had it hauled off this Spring the body was also fairly shot from the salt and humidity. The one thing that still looked great was the interior that sort of had that mussle car look of the 80's. The engine still ran great and burned little oil if any being it was changed every 3K from the factory. I hated to see it go but it was time. I say it was the best J car ever built by GM and it even got 34MPG for way back in 85! Go figure.
Regards,
Erik

dba-one
10-18-2008, 08:22 AM

So you could hold one of those raffles where people get three hits with a sledge hammer for a buck?