PDA

View Full Version : D. cycle battery?

paul
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey all,

Any suggestions of battery brands when looking for a deep cycle battery. I've looked in several marine stores, and some of the non-standard sizes come close...

Also considered a optima yellow-top, but I hear it's pricey for it's performance.

DBMaster
10-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Actually, the Optima Blue Top is that brand's deep cycle battery. The yellow top is for high drain applications - high powered amps, winches on off-road vehicles, etc. If their deep cycle batteries last like the last Red Top I had they're worth the extra money. It lasted approximately twice as long as any standard battery I ever had in the Accord (six years v. 3). When it was going bad the cranking was weak, but every other battery just wouldn't crank the engine at all when they went bad.

Pico
10-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Red top or Yellow would be the way to go IMO.
I've had the red top in my Accord for a little over a year now and it hasnt failed me yet

paul
10-04-2008, 04:37 AM
They don't make a blue-top for the 3g size.
Other brands are $100, the extra $75 for the optima I don't think is justified for my uses.

Is the yellow top size the same as the OEM battery?
9.4" Length x 6.8" Width x 7.6" Heigth ?

2oodoor
10-04-2008, 04:43 AM
better buy one quick if you are, just regular batterys are at 89-100 dollars here now. They have doubled in price over the past six months.

ghettogeddy
10-04-2008, 08:50 AM
They don't make a blue-top for the 3g size.
Other brands are $100, the extra $75 for the optima I don't think is justified for my uses.

Is the yellow top size the same as the OEM battery?
9.4" Length x 6.8" Width x 7.6" Heigth ?

blue top is deep cycle only
red top is starting only
yellow is a combo of both

the best part of them is the warranty depending on where you buy
could be a lifetime or a very good month vs pro rate month like this

36 month free replacement Warranty and 72 month Pro-rate

lostforawhile
10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
get the odyssey battery the last forever and will function as both a deep cycle and a starting battery. you don't want to put a standard deep cycle in a car,they have to be recharged with low amperage over a long period of time, a cars starting system will damage one. the odyssey is totally sealed and has no out gassing. even new car makers are starting to use them. technically its a sealed gel cell recombinent battery. it's a lot smaller and lighter then the optima too. http://www.odysseybatteries.com the old lead acid batteries are on the way out, the new tech batteries are much better. no leaks,doesn't die from going dead a couple of times,lighter, more power, doesn't randomly explode, don't have to replace every couple of years,just tons of reasons. The old type batteries are one thing i'm glad to see going.

AccordB20A
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah i learnt the hard way that gasses lead acid batteries put oput is harmful by shorting the coil wire to the neg battery terminal. it went BANG and blew the battery to bits

mykwikcoupe
10-04-2008, 11:57 AM
the optima batteries suck ass. Ive had them in every car Ive ever owned. What I can tell you is in the wifeys 89 lx accord sedan the yellow tops lasted 6 or more years. The red top in my 89 accord coupe lasts forever and wont get low no matter what. My 91 thinderbird only gets driven but maybe once a month and everytime I go out there I need to RMA the battery because the core shorted out from sitting. Ive got the odyssy battery in my coupe now but since the engine isnt complete I cant test it. I run large stereos and heavy lighting loads on every car so the optimas are great plus the CCA is huge on them. The one in my tbird is 1080 CCa and good luck finding that on a small battery not meant for an RV or something.

I do love the warrenty on the optimas which is why I still have them. Every year or so the reds die and I just swap them out for 6 bucks. If they dont swap them out Ill by interstate or more odyssy batteries

paul
10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Seems like the max. size we can use is around 9.5"L, 7"W, 8.5"H?...

thanks for the input guys!

DBMaster
10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I guess after reading the original post I thought you were looking for a battery for something other than a car. I read it again and still didn't see that you wanted this battery for your Accord. Where you live your battery might last longer than they do here. The heat kills them faster than the cold and our batteries are not mounted in an optimal place to avoid excess heat.