PDA

View Full Version : 88 LXi slip ring

Strahan
10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Is the car safely operable without it? I've been noticing an annoying squeak when I turn the steering wheel. I was going to spray some WD-40 in the crack between the wheel and the column, but figured I'd better remove it alltogether and use grease. Well, I'm glad I did because it turns out it wasn't friction between the wheel and column but rather internal to the slip ring. I'm going to go to the yard this week and pull one.

Just wondering if I can operate the car safely w/o putting it back on. I was just gonna leave it all apart and bolt the wheel back on so I can drive it until then.

Also, my cruise is not working. I'm hoping that maybe replacing this will make it happy again, here's to wishful thinking :)

2oodoor
10-06-2008, 10:46 AM
mine will do that ever since I swapped out combo switch.. but only if the ambient temp is over like 85 degrees. :D

that is for the horn and cruise switches to work , the slip ring

Vanilla Sky
10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
The slop ring is most likely the cause of the CC not working as well. You can take your ring apart and most likely fix it.

That ring does turn the turn signals off after a turn, so you're going to have to remember to turn your indicators off after a turn.

Strahan
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I ended up just saying screw it and went without heh. Alas, my CC is still out of commission but at least I've removed one possible variable now. My steering wheel is nice and quiet now when I turn, hehe, and as an added bonus the donor car I was pulling the slip ring from was an 86 hatch and it didn't have my style steering wheel. Instead of 4 small horn buttons you just pressed the whole face down. I like that alot better, so for another $30 I took the wheel. I also took the turn signal because I noticed when I pulled the slip ring that mine is cracked, however the 86 stalk apparently isn't compatible. The mounts on the side opposite the spring/ball were diff.

Ah well. Anyone need an 86 turn signal switch? Hehe.

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Ah well. Anyone need an 86 turn signal switch? Hehe.

This guy (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66391&highlight=combo)does.

rfiks
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
hmm...

2ndGenGuy
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
hmm...

What the fuck? Stop post whoring.

87roach
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Thank you 2ndGenGuy.

codyJDM
10-10-2008, 12:00 PM