PDA

View Full Version : update on ps problems and question about the clock!

minektur
10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
So, yall may remember that I asked for advice on my PS problems a few weeks ago. I finally made time to get to a local junk yard last Saturday and I found an 88 lxi that had a good donor hose - looks pretty darn new - they poor guy must have replaced it shortly before the back end got totaled.

I'll let you know what leaks next after I get a chance to put it on :)

As an aside, while I was there I grabbed the clock out of one of the cars there because mine is non-functional.

It appears that the clock only shows the time while you hold down the little button - either press the button with the little flap down or push on the flap... Otherwise no clock. The dimmer function seems to work when I flip the lights on too, but still no clock unless I hold the button down. Is that how it's supposed to be?! If yes, then how lame! I suppose that I'd burn the thing out if I soldered a wire across those terminals to make it always stay on.... sigh...

Is this normal? or is this new clock I bought also broken?

carotman
10-06-2008, 08:51 AM
there is a wire that tells the clock to turn on. Check the power comming from all the wires when you turn the key on.

AccordB20A
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah might want to check some fuses about the block thing it should light up itself when the ignition is on...
Have seen cases before that the block fails but theres nothinfg wrong tho, in that case run a new wire from the stereo so it turns on when the stereo turns on with the key

minektur
10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
good advice - fuse 11? 12? under the hood that says clock/ecu was blown...

Turns out I didn't need a new clock.... sigh - oh well - the new one has a working flip-face lid and was only $5...

Thanks.

minektur
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
so if the clock/ecu fuse was blown then the ecu wasn't on the whole time I've owned this car (4 weeks now...)

Which might explain my constant pinging under any kind of engine load? e.g. any acceleration, going up hills etc.

Doesn't seem to have gotten much better now that the ecu is on.

I didn't know that I was supposed to be watching for the CEL to come on for 5 seconds when I turned the card on.

The car runs without a functioning ECU?? just suboptimally?

Out of curiosity, I popped open the observation window to see if there was any code being displayed by the ecu, but I guess it only displays codes when the CEL is on? e.g. if there is nothing wrong, no blinks?

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh god, fix your timing NOW!!!!! Please don't drive it another day, unless you're itching to do a rebuild. Also, and this is my thing-to-harp-on, please use better gas. Premium grade is most resistant to pre-detonation, ie: pinging. It also contains the most detergent so your fuel system remains nice and clean. Chevron is best.

The Honda manual, available here (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html), devotes 4-5 pages to timing inspection. I would encourage you to go through the entire sequence. I'm still massaging away the problems with my distributor, but when the advance starts to get tired, it's good to use some lightweight oil to lube the bearings holding the vacuum advance mechanism inside the distributor. I did that some time ago and got rid of the bizarre electrical "hop" that I had at startup. That probably makes no sense, but I'm hoping to post a how-to with pics before long.

Typically, when the ECU is compromised the car reverts to default/factory map settings. The sensors help it fine-tune everything over time. The ECU will flash any trouble codes any time the key is on. Removing the #11 fuse for 10 seconds will clear them.

minektur
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll take a look at the timing soon. I'm only on my second tank of gas in this car - next tank I'll buy something high octane and see if it makes a difference.

I don't have any trouble codes, and no check-engine-light (well, it now comes on for 5 seconds after I turn the key to 'on' and then turns back off). Are you saying it will not have any flashes if there is no problem?

In the 86-89 'accord master manual' on page 24-4 - that is what you're talking about? Ignition timing inspection and setting? I have to confess that I have never done this, don't have the tools etc :) That may not stop me, because it's fun :)

Is this something a shop would do for me for cheap? I got the car for free (if you count the cost of two new front axles in 'free') and while I do want the car to continue to run, one of my medium term goals is to put as little as possible into the car while still properly maintaining it - e.g. I will get the oil changed, I wont get it painted even though it really really needs paint....

I did find a center-console arm-rest at the JY yesterday that I'll be reupholstering and installing soon, I paid the neighbor kid $20 for a working radio to put in since I'll be driving this about an hour each weekday....

Still, buying a timing light that I'll never use on another vehicle? a vacuum pump guage? I don't even know what an 'advance tester' is.... It may be cheaper to pay someone else to do this.

How can I tell if the ECU is actually working? I mean, I never new it wasn't working till now - but things don't seem to be any better than they were with the ECU now getting power...

minektur
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
(hm some useful information that I seem to have left out - 88 LXI 4-door.... so it's EFI...)