PDA

View Full Version : SEI Rear Brake noise:banghead:

Timaculent
10-07-2008, 05:23 AM
:banghead::banghead:
Whenever I turn corners I hear this clicking noise coming from my rear passenger brake. I have an SEI so no Drum brakes. I looked at it and i dont see anything rubbing against anything. Do you have any idea what it is? Also I hear it sometimes when I am braking. I have a brand new caliper on it so I know its not that.

codyJDM
10-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Sounds like it is maybe your wheel bearing?

nswst8
10-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Upper control arms. Have they been replaced. When I replaced mine alot of noise disappeared.

w261w261
10-07-2008, 06:16 AM
I assume it was doing it before you replaced the caliper?
Noise is only on one side? Which one?
Is it "click click click" or just "click?"
How long has the noise been going on?
Does it happen all the time, e.g. on every corner you turn?
Both left and right corners?
Does it do it all all speeds?
Has it been increasing in noise?
Does it do it in reverse?
Have you tried to put the car on a lift and rotate the wheels manually?

You might take off both wheels and inspect closely, although it sounds like the noise is related to a compression of the suspension. Perhaps there's something that is very close to a moving part, and when the suspension is stressed by turning or stopping it gets just close enough.

A failing ball joint in the UCA usually sounds like something has rolled to one side in the trunk, at least that's what mine was like. Don't think it would be a continuous clicking.

Timaculent
10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
CodyJDM- Maybe its the bearing. Im not sure.

Timaculent
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Its the rear passenger side. I thought the upper control arms are in the front.

Timaculent
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I assume it was doing it before you replaced the caliper?
Noise is only on one side? Which one?
Is it "click click click" or just "click?"
How long has the noise been going on?
Does it happen all the time, e.g. on every corner you turn?
Both left and right corners?
Does it do it all all speeds?
Has it been increasing in noise?
Does it do it in reverse?
Have you tried to put the car on a lift and rotate the wheels manually?

You might take off both wheels and inspect closely, although it sounds like the noise is related to a compression of the suspension. Perhaps there's something that is very close to a moving part, and when the suspension is stressed by turning or stopping it gets just close enough.

A failing ball joint in the UCA usually sounds like something has rolled to one side in the trunk, at least that's what mine was like. Don't think it would be a continuous clicking.

Yes this was happening before the caliper was replaced.
the noise is on the passenger side rear.

it is a click click click click continuous.

been going on for months.

it normally happpens often but expecially when i turn
I believe it happens on both left and right.
mostly under 40 mph
not increasing just constant
not in reverse i dont think
no lift

do you think that its the wheel bearing also?

w261w261
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Its the rear passenger side. I thought the upper control arms are in the front.

You have upper and lower control arms up front, and only uppers in the rear. Total of 6 ball joints.

w261w261
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Does the noise happen only when you apply the brakes, or either with them or without them?

Timaculent
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
with and without. When I am moving at low speeds and then again when i am slowing down and applying brakes.

evil88accordLX
10-08-2008, 11:25 AM
blown strut? i have a front that does the same thing. you can measure the clearance between the top of the tire and the wheelwell, if one side is lower than the other there is your problem. this will also cause uneven tire wear because it throws off the suspension geometry. any problems there?

nswst8
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
blown strut? i have a front that does the same thing. you can measure the clearance between the top of the tire and the wheelwell, if one side is lower than the other there is your problem. this will also cause uneven tire wear because it throws off the suspension geometry. any problems there?

I'd second this opinion.

Timaculent
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
going to measure it now but how would that cause the noise?

Timaculent
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
its two fingers between the wheel and fender on the RR LR and LF
but the RF (passenger front is 3 finger lengths.

russiankid
10-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I had this issue when the brakes were applied. I took the calipers off, regreased all the guide pins and clips, all is well.

Timaculent
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
could it be the wheel bearing. Bearings going bad or something.

evil88accordLX
10-08-2008, 08:43 PM

not exactly sure, i would deduct that the noise comes from the spring itself. a blown strut is essentially useless on both compression and rebound, leaving the spring to do all the work. since the spring has no help, it probably shifts/adjusts under load and lack there of. this also would explain your uneven wheel gap.

evil88accordLX
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM

not exactly sure, i would deduct that the noise comes from the spring itself. a blown strut is essentially useless on both compression and rebound, leaving the spring to do all the work. since the spring has no help, it probably shifts/adjusts under load and lack there of. this also would explain your uneven wheel gap.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 02:58 AM
thanks!
SHould I just change all 4 or?

evil88accordLX
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
it would make the most sense to replace all 4 at once. but you can buy them in pairs (front and rear set) if you dont want/cant afford to do them all. just make sure you use a spring compressor. you can be seriously injured by flying parts if you dont.

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
thanks!
SHould I just change all 4 or?

Um, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but someone above has suggested that all you need to do is grease up your brake hardware. You realize that you're about to spend a LOT of money and time to fix a problem that could potentially be fixed with $0.02 of grease and a half hour of labor, right?

Do what you think is appropriate, but you should at least try the cheap fix first. More importantly, you should confirm that your struts are bad before replacing them. Do you have any other symptoms of a bad strut:

1. Oil leakage from the top of the shock
2. Front end dive under braking
3. Clunking over bumps
4. Excessive bouncing after bumps
5. Wallowing in corners

evil88accordLX
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
i agree, do the simplest things first. but it really sounds like a strut issue to me. ive owned 3 vehicles that have blown out struts over time, and they all exhibit the same symptoms he describes. the uneven wheel gap being a major factor in my suggestion. the cars stance is directly affected by the suspension, not the bearings or brakes.

but again i agree, try the simplest things first.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
thanks i will look into this

rfiks
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Sounds like it is maybe your wheel bearing?
i think so

evil88accordLX
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
i think so

wheel bearing noise sounds like a helicopter, not a click. and it gets progressively louder as you go faster, and it doesnt stop at 40mph....

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I thought wheel bearing initially, but it doesn't make sense that it would only be when you brake. It does make sense that it would be related to cornering load though. A bad bearing can make a lot of different strange noises. I had a bad bearing on my '76 Accord and it never made a peep. I could just feel the roughness through the floorboard. I opened it up and the thing fell apart in a pile on the garage floor.

It could be a bearing. I'd still make love to the brakes first.