PDA

View Full Version : 87 DX Just turned off...

DEEGO
10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi, Last night on my way home I turned on the car (everything normal) I started to go on my way...Then at a red light the car just turned off..It turned back on immidiately...then i traveled about 100 feet then it turned off again..This time it would not start at all. I had the car towed home. Could this be a fuel filter? Something else? Please advise! Thank you in advance.

Nafs Asdf
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Could probably be a number of things, but first make sure you didn't run out of gas ;)

AccordB20A
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
really sounds like you ran out of gas, but i suppose it could be fuel filter, if you ask me its time to convert to efi :P haha

greentee76
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
When you say it "turned off" did the engine just die or did you lose electrical power as well?

Demon1024
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
x2 ^ did your headlight go out too? that be easy to notice at night...

DEEGO
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi, My head lights did not turn off(All electrical power is normal). Gas tank is full. The vehicle just turned off at a stop light. Turned on one time then drove for about 100 feet then It turned off. Only thing I can think of is fuel filter or battery?

DEEGO
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
really sounds like you ran out of gas, but i suppose it could be fuel filter, if you ask me its time to convert to efi :P haha

How would I go about converting to EFI?

greentee76
10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Easiest thing to check would be to pull the fuel line off the inlet of the fuel filter under the hood and put it in a bottle and turn the key to the on postion. You should get gas in the bottle from the fuel pump priming. This will at least tell you if it is a fuel related issue.
The filter in the engine compartment is easy to change so if you don't know when the last time it was changed was, it's cheap and easy to do. The one back by the tank is more work. I am concerned that it may be your fuel pump.
Did it die at an idle speed both times or were you driving along the second time.
I hope some of this helps. I'm not thinking very clearly tonight, but this should get you started.

greentee76
10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
It could be a very simple fix. Don't go jumping off the cliff into EFI land yet.

Pico
10-07-2008, 08:46 PM

if you really want to go that route here's a how to: Converting Carb to EFI (http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm)

DEEGO
10-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Easiest thing to check would be to pull the fuel line off the inlet of the fuel filter under the hood and put it in a bottle and turn the key to the on postion. You should get gas in the bottle from the fuel pump priming. This will at least tell you if it is a fuel related issue.
The filter in the engine compartment is easy to change so if you don't know when the last time it was changed was, it's cheap and easy to do. The one back by the tank is more work. I am concerned that it may be your fuel pump.
Did it die at an idle speed both times or were you driving along the second time.
I hope some of this helps. I'm not thinking very clearly tonight, but this should get you started.

The first time the car died I was not moving, The second it was in motion. Is there a walkthrough on how to change the fuel filter located in the wheel well? Ill be working on the vehicle today! Thank you again for all the help, much appreciated.

greentee76
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Go here:http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html you want page # 11-76.
This is the downloadable online service manual.

Also the reason that I asked the question about the engine being at idle speed when it died is that the carb incorperates what they call a primary slow mixture cut off soleonid, if this goes bad the engine will die when it comes back down to the idle circuit. The test procedure for that is on page # 11-39.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

DEEGO
10-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Go here:http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html you want page # 11-76.
This is the downloadable online service manual.

Also the reason that I asked the question about the engine being at idle speed when it died is that the carb incorperates what they call a primary slow mixture cut off soleonid, if this goes bad the engine will die when it comes back down to the idle circuit. The test procedure for that is on page # 11-39.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Hi, I changed out both fuel filters...No joy..I took off the aux filter in the engine bay to see if the fuel pump could be the culprit and no gas flowed. Could it be some type of relay or electrical component or the actual pump?

Oldblueaccord
10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
The Main relay controls the fuel pump. Do a google search for it. You could also run a 12V jumper wire to the pump and see if it works then. Becarefull with sparks and gas. :devil:

wp

greentee76
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Shephard79:

carbed accord don't have main relays but they do have a fuel cut relay that is on the back of the fuse box under the dash.
EFI ones have main relay and it is on driver side, under the dash on the left all the way at the top.

and final, fuel cut relay will not work on EFI accord.

I don't have any first hand experience with the relay in question, although it does sound like it may be easier to replace on the carbed cars:thumbup: I do like Oldblue's idea of jumpering it to 12v with caution. I think your fuel pump probably gave up. I believe there is an access panel under the back seat to change it out. I also believe that there is a sock type filter that fits over the pump, which hopefully you'll be able to get cleaned out.
Good luck.

Oldblueaccord
10-09-2008, 07:55 PM
greentee is correct I meant Fuel pump relay sorry for the mistake.

wp

DEEGO
10-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Shephard79:

I don't have any first hand experience with the relay in question, although it does sound like it may be easier to replace on the carbed cars:thumbup: I do like Oldblue's idea of jumpering it to 12v with caution. I think your fuel pump probably gave up. I believe there is an access panel under the back seat to change it out. I also believe that there is a sock type filter that fits over the pump, which hopefully you'll be able to get cleaned out.
Good luck.

Im going to buy a new pump, strainer and tank seal. Is this a difficult fix?

I was looking at the service manual it seems easy enough...It says i need to tighten the nuts to the fuel pump bracket to 4.3LBS..Doesnt seem like that much.

Rendon LX-i
10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Disturbuter

greentee76
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
greentee is correct I meant Fuel pump relay sorry for the mistake.

wp

I actually didn't know there was a difference myself, but doing some research I came accross that info and thought I would share it.

DEEGO-
Yeah it doesn't sound like much but could very well be correct, just double check it in the manual. I don't have my Haynes with me or I would look in there to see what they say. When I was doing my oil pump on the refreshed engine the bolts called for something like 9ft/lbs, I was a little shocked.

Also Rendon brings up a good point as I know that the fuel pump does recieve a signal from the distributer when the engine is running. But jumpering 12v to the pump should rule that out as a culprit.

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2008, 01:24 PM
4 ft-lbs is correct.

rfiks
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
if you really want to go that route here's a how to: Converting Carb to EFI (http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm)
:pc: do you have any idea how long ive been look for this how to?:gun::rant:
THANK YOU!:rockon:

DEEGO
10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I actually didn't know there was a difference myself, but doing some research I came accross that info and thought I would share it.

DEEGO-
Yeah it doesn't sound like much but could very well be correct, just double check it in the manual. I don't have my Haynes with me or I would look in there to see what they say. When I was doing my oil pump on the refreshed engine the bolts called for something like 9ft/lbs, I was a little shocked.

Also Rendon brings up a good point as I know that the fuel pump does recieve a signal from the distributer when the engine is running. But jumpering 12v to the pump should rule that out as a culprit.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone. I have an update....My dad got the car to turn on by pouring some gas in the carburetor...He claims it cant be the distributer(His logic). HAHA, any suggestions? ***(I do have a full tank of gas)****

Oldblueaccord
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
You answered your own question. its not getting any gas unless you add it.

wp

greentee76
10-10-2008, 04:20 PM
My money is still on the fuel pump. You really need to test it and see.

DEEGO
10-20-2008, 07:01 AM
My money is still on the fuel pump. You really need to test it and see.

****UPDATE******
Finally got around to working on the car, after new fuel filters, pump...Turned out to be one 15A fuse for the fuel pump/starter....Thanks everyone for the input greatly appreciate it!

Dr_Snooz
10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
^^^^ Thank you! I always appreciate when people come back with follow ups. Especially when the solution is as simple as that. It really helps us keep our suggestions on the mark.

MessyHonda
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
****UPDATE******
Finally got around to working on the car, after new fuel filters, pump...Turned out to be one 15A fuse for the fuel pump/starter....Thanks everyone for the input greatly appreciate it!

man...at least you wont have to worry about changing that stuff for another 18 years