PDA

View Full Version : for those of you who have removed your ac

lostforawhile
10-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I had seen these in an aviation magazine, the aircraft version of this is almost 500 dollars,but the comsumer version is much cheaper, not even 50, same thing, these are really supposed to work, if you only go on long trips once in a while these would work great,i may try one myself.
http://www.kooleraire.com/FAQ.htm
the pilots who have the aviation version swear by them. there used to be a version of these that attached on the side of your car window in the 30's, but it was cooled by passing ait, but they worked and have been around that long.

rfiks
10-10-2008, 08:44 AM
cool;

2oodoor
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
yes it is

greentee76
10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Funny you should post this as I have one of these made up for inside my house in the summer. I only really need a/c on the weekends in the summer so I didn't want to pay for an a/c unit. What I did was got an old cooler, an immersable pump, an old heater core, and blower motor from a semi and a bus. I load the cooler with a bag of ice and fill it with water and the pump flows the water through the heater core with the blower behind it producing a nice refreshing cool breeze. I think I've seen them called swamp coolers.
Just another example of my tightwad nature.:)

nswst8
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Old fashion swamp cooler, with some modern day technology.

Kool!

Vanilla Sky
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Just another example of my grassroots nature.:)

Fixed.

lostforawhile
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
yea my ac would cost so much in parts i'm going to just rip it out and get one of these. most of the time i drive with the windows down anyway. this would be nice on longer trips. but the ac is just dead weight i'm dragging around the rest of the time and it doesn't work anyway.

Tdurr
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
oh snap! bump for the summer!!!

ecogabriel
06-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Hey, it's cool stuff!

Now more seriously, a long long time ago I saw an "A/C" unit that got its cooling power from.... tap water!
They had them on a store and one unit was turned on sending a cold stream of air towards the street; it was a hot day so one could feel the difference. I got closer and I saw the information on top of it and it said it worked with water.
On the down side, they were big like a window a/c unit (I told you it was long long ago) and I can assume that it worked by evaporating water so it would probably charge the cold air with humidity. Still, the concept is being used in faraway places (follow the link; the english translation is not too good but good enough I think)

http://www.vigia.com.ar/productos.asp?pid=27

Greentee, have you thought of a similar system for your car?
I mean, the evaporator is already there inside the cabin. It would not be too difficult to run a couple of hoses all the way to the trunk and put a cooler and a pump there... well, you may figure out the rest.
Perhaps the problem is getting water on an unsealed container but what one alternative would be a second radiator placed in the cooler so you can get a "close circuit" (that may be filled with water/antifreeze mixture and then submerse that one into the cooler w/ice.
if one places a big enough radiator in the cooler (say covering the bottom of it) it would only need enough water to transfer cold from the ice pack above to the radiator below. I do not know whether it would be cold enough to make the evaporator run cold though but maybe worth giving it a second thought.
Granted, it is more complicated than the Kooler air thing... oh well.

Tdurr
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
^^ or u could just hook the car's ac back up lol.

86ccord
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
unless you took out all the lines like me.. :D