PDA

View Full Version : Car NOT STARTING

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 04:25 PM
New issue.

Now my car wont start. I grove it all the way to work which is about 14 miles and the vehicle ran ruff.

Then I go to pull into the parking space and there I shift into reverse and it dies. It wont restart now. I have done the following

check the fuel pressure regulator and it spit fuel when i turned the ignition. ( so the fuel pump is good)

Checked the spark wires and I am getting spark.

I can hear the injectors spraying.

the main relay clicks twice.

I replaced the spark plugs just to be sure and this didn't work

i put my hand infront of the intake and i am getting suction so its not clogged

i sprayed quick start in the intake and it didn't turn over so its not the injectors.

I can now only think of the timing belt??? Any ideas.

86ccord
10-09-2008, 04:39 PM
when you go to turn it over does it make this weird ass noise? any ways on hondas' if your timing is one tooth off or just a half a tooth off your car will not start.. lol another thing if a ground is dirty or not connected right the car will not start either..

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 04:52 PM
i have 2 grounds from engine to chassis. and one ground from battery to chassis.

so if the timing is off one tooth it wont start. hmmm how can i tell?
no weird noise just it keeps swinging and swinging. but no turn over

w261w261
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
In the other thread you said you replaced the "coolant temp sensor." Do you mean the TW sensor? It's close to the thermostat. If that starts to go, it will throw a code 6, and eventually the car won't start. I barely made it to the Honda dealer to pick up a TW sensor that I had ordered. I had to put it in in the dealership's parking lot.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah i replaced it with a brand new one so it started fine right after.

nswst8
10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Are you getting spark? If you have a spark checker or just lay the spark plug close to ground and turn the car over to see if you have spark.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
yes i am getting spark.

86ccord
10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
i have 2 grounds from engine to chassis. and one ground from battery to chassis.

so if the timing is off one tooth it wont start. hmmm how can i tell?
no weird noise just it keeps swinging and swinging. but no turn over

well i had to relocate my battery one. instead of using chassis i had to put it on my transmission. and just check the others. and i also upgraded my grounds with some audio wire..LOL but yeah.. try that..

now with the timing, your going to have to turn the motor over by hand and retime the whole thing.. lol get your lil Cross "T" thing inline and try that see what happens.. if nothing your distributor rotor may have a small pin hole in it and needs to be replaced..

russiankid
10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a ground wire to me.

russiankid
10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
well i had to relocate my battery one. instead of using chassis i had to put it on my transmission. and just check the others. and i also upgraded my grounds with some speaker wire..LOL but yeah.. try that..

now with the timing, your going to have to turn the motor over by hand and retime the whole thing.. lol get your lil Cross "T" thing inline and try that see what happens.. if nothing your distributor rotor may have a small pin hole in it and needs to be replaced..

Battery one goes to the chassis and then to the transmission.:slap:

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
everything shows well. and the starter keeps turning. What would the ground be dislinked from? what should I do or change. if the starter is turning then why should i not have good ground. I was thinking along the lines of timining!!!

nswst8
10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Are the spark plugs wet after turning the car over?

Have you checked the timing yet?

Have you checked to see if your timing belt is still intact?

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
the car is stuck at work
i am trying to get ideas so that when i go to work tomorrow i could have everything to try.

the spark plugs were not wet when i took them out. just pretty black.

I havent done anything with the timing yet.

86ccord
10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Battery one goes to the chassis and then to the transmission.:slap:

omg typo..LOL i owned my self.. idk what i was thinkin.. ha..

nswst8
10-09-2008, 05:56 PM
When was the timing belt last changed?

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
i changed out the engine and when i was looking at the timing belt it looked new so I didnt change it.

86ccord
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
i changed out the engine and when i was looking at the timing belt it looked new so I didnt change it.

well look at it and maybe change it.. lol

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 06:04 PM
your right lol so timimg and ground need to be checked.

nswst8
10-09-2008, 06:12 PM
How many miles on the swapped engine and how long was it out of commission?

If the timing belt was in need of changing and it wasn't but left to sit then run. Then it is at risk of failing.

Remove the timing cover and turn the engine over. even if it turns the cam it could still have jumped time.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
120,000 plus
the engine did sit. i am thinking for months.

nswst8
10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Okay, so we have a 120,000 with the timing belt needing to be changed at 60,000. So I would bet that this was the original replacement at around 60,000. I would bet that this belt has around 60,000 on it, they can look new even with that many miles on them.

Timaculent
10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
i will change it. man i have been driving it pretty hard. Like burning tires and crap. i wonder if there is something that i did to make it jump.

i do have a new one sitting down here

nswst8
10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Good possibility.

Oldblueaccord
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
crank it over the the distributor cap off and see if the rotor spins or not tell you quilc if the belt is broke. Inspect the cap and under neath it while you are there.

wp

Demon1024
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
test the igniter and coil as well. might spark but not well enough. and if you have to replace the coil get an msd they're only $40 and make better spark

Timaculent
10-10-2008, 03:40 AM
it cant be tthat the belt is broken because i am getting spark to the spark plugs. it is more so the timing belt might have jumped timing.

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I notice in this thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66426 that you performed some creative re-wiring around the TW sensor. I don't suppose that got reversed, did it? Perhaps there is a broken wire in that vicinity now? What you describe sure sounds like an electrical problem to me, or possibly a clogged fuel filter.

To check your belt, just put the crank at TDC and remove your valve cover. If the cam is at TDC too, you're good.

Oh, and don't drive like an idiot. Be goooood to your 3gee!

Timaculent
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I notice in this thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66426 that you performed some creative re-wiring around the TW sensor. I don't suppose that got reversed, did it? Perhaps there is a broken wire in that vicinity now? What you describe sure sounds like an electrical problem to me, or possibly a clogged fuel filter.

To check your belt, just put the crank at TDC and remove your valve cover. If the cam is at TDC too, you're good.

Oh, and don't drive like an idiot. Be goooood to your 3gee!

I just pulled out the pins out of the clip and connected them directly.

It started fine that morning and drove fine.sense its a sensor and it detects heat does it matter how the wires are in?
I dont think I reversed it. I am getting fuel out of my fuel pressure regulator.

I couldnt touch the car today as I have to work all day. I am hoping and leaning towards the timing belt. i hope to do this tonight or tomorrow.

Timaculent
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh, and don't drive like an idiot. Be goooood to your 3gee![/QUOTE]

Me no idiot just excited about having new motor, stick and pacesetter header.

Timaculent
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Compression good

The car Started. What is that sensor on the thermostat housing that is black. when the wire are connected it starts but when they are seperated it tries and tries to start?

What is this sensor?

nswst8
10-12-2008, 12:31 PM
One is the TW sensor the other is the Thermo switch

Timaculent
10-12-2008, 12:33 PM
The tw is the smaller one. why does the other one not allow the car to start if it is not connected.

Timaculent
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
now it will start when i join the sensor wires together and then it wont when i disconnect them. Anyone have an idea? This is weird. Additionally I got a new sensor and the light is still coming on. Man what the heck do I do now. The other thing is now the fan comes on after I turn the car off and stays on I read somewhere that it was the IACV that causes this? Any advice. Man why is it always something.

Dr_Snooz
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Fan is normal. What's the code?

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 03:24 AM

Nafs Asdf
10-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Are you sure you aren't confusing the TW and temp gauge sensor? Pulling the temp gauge sensor plug wouldn't do anything but prevent the gauge from working. While messing with the TW sensor might do a bunch of things.

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Are you sure you aren't confusing the TW and temp gauge sensor? Pulling the temp gauge sensor plug wouldn't do anything but prevent the gauge from working. While messing with the TW sensor might do a bunch of things.

I might be. So the TW sensor is the smaller one that is closer to the head correct. Well maybe that is it. and I am wondering about my pressure. because it is spitting water out of the bleeder valve but is it possible that air is still in there?

nswst8
10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
If the bleeber is spitting/bubbling you have air in the system.

Engine off. Set heater to max heat(this opens the heater core valve) Drain half the radiator, open bleeder refill radiator, when fluid starts to come out the bleeder close it off. Start engine let fans come at least twice, refill radiator as needed. And your done.

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 06:02 AM
also i do not have the harnesses that plug into the sensor. does it matter which way they are plugged in?

nswst8
10-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Okay, you need to give alitte more information than you have thus far. We know that you swapped in a engine A20a1, A20a3 what type car do you have. You need a manual.

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Okay, you need to give alitte more information than you have thus far. We know that you swapped in a engine A20a1, A20a3 what type car do you have. You need a manual.

I have a A20a3 SEI I have the Haynes but it is not detailed on this topic.

nswst8
10-13-2008, 06:21 AM
So you have a SEI accord and you replaced a A20a3 with a A20a3. I don't understand your harness question.

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Yes and sei

I have the wires pulled out of the clips that go into the sensor. i plugged them in with out the plastic piece. One is black and the other is another color. does it matter with side they are plugged into.

nswst8
10-13-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't believe that it matters, I don't think the sensor is designed for polarity.

I you need another plastic connector snag one from the junkyard.

Timaculent
10-13-2008, 07:40 AM
I will I am trying to get up there today.

Timaculent
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I Got It And Quite A Few Other Things.
Man There Were Six 89 Accords Up There.

3lxi
2 Lx And One Dx

So Many Parts To Choose From So Little Time.

I Have Crimpted The Wires To A Butt Connector And Just Need To Install It Tomorrow. I Cant Wait. My Next Project Will Be To Get My Ac Going. Cause Miami Is Too Hot.

Timaculent
10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
SUCESS EVERYTHING IS WORKING AGAIN. NOT ONE ERROR LIGHT ON IN THE DASH
This is weird because I have one of the oxygen sensors disconnected.

Ok now to get me ac working.