PDA

View Full Version : old beaten LX enkei rim...

haridev
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
hi guys, the other day i went to my part dealer for some plug cables for my friend's 3gee. while i was walking around i saw an old LX rim sitting on the rack. it even had the old honda stamp on it. sadly the owner had only a single piece. god knows where or who she sold the other three to. the rim was had severe corrosion and had some bad scratches. the black paint was badly faded as well. but it was still a honda OEM rim. i got the single piece for a mere USD$15. heh... thought it was cheap but it took a solid 2 hours of cleaning and sanding to get the fine scratches and corrosion to be eliminated (almost). then another 1hours of taping the 'polished' areas. and finally painting the balance black portion of the rim. now it looks like i have a relatively neat looking spare!! hehe.... sadly there seems to be a hard scratch on the side which can be seed in the pics. but the rim itself isnt bent. i hope to one day find a set of 4 for to swap with the set i have currently on. however i hope never to sell the current set as they are very precious to me..hehe

here are some before pics. as you can see the scratches, corrosion and the black that has faded to grey with the scatch on it. however you can see the caption HONDA stamped on the side as well.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/haridev/DSC00183.jpg

now after the hours of sanding and painting....

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/haridev/DSC00186.jpg

i really hope one day to go to the junk yard to find a neat set of four, LX rims sitting, awaiting my arrival..... well have to be happy with what i have for now..

Civic Accord Honda
10-12-2008, 11:59 AM
coolio :D

AccordB20A
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
thats super dooper cool. ncie old school wheel, you got a spare now, hope you fine the other 3 they would look mean on teh 1g accord

2ndGenGuy
10-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh man yeah good work polishing that bad boy up. Too bad they didn't have the full set, but that might be worth hanging on to. You never know, you might just find 3 of them some other day, then you'll be glad you kept this one!

Hazwan
10-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice find. Hope you could find another 3 or 4..

Check this out if you still haven't done so: http://dorakumasami.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Accord/Res/Res_2nd/Res060401.htm

Have fun browsing around with JDM words unless you know Japanese lol

And heres a friend of mine recently bought a set for ~US$50:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/hanessy_XO/DSC00815.jpg

81vintyminty
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
.....................the 1 of 2 factory 4x120 wheels produced!!.... goodluck on the other 3 and center caps...

haridev
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
i soo wanna kill ur friend....hope ur friend has an alarm as my one day, if his rims go missing, dont come looking for me... im innocent!! lolz...

nah, after some thought and speaking to some of my friends. they said the LX rims might not go with the theme of my car. the current set of british light weight rims is more suited the current look of my car. but if i do get a set 'CHEAP' i might consider. however this doesnt stop the fact that i HATE your friend..... neway, where is ur friend from? seriously....heh....did he paint the silver portion of the rims....he should have gotten the honda centre caps...

regards, dev

haridev
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
well bro i do have a set of three centre caps as spares but they lack the black inserts in the caps...whole thing appears chrome. the current rims on my car still uses the old original centre caps. i played around widening the clamps and they went on the car without issues. if i find a set of four, i would put those caps on the LX rims. regardless, i would NEVER sell my current set of rims..hehe....love them too much to sell them. regards, dev....

Hazwan
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Haha hes selling it as soon as he can find anything bigger than 13".

I have to agree, stay with your current wheels, they look better. I always like the look. I'd kill to find a set in 14".

Also, I never knew they were made by Enkei.

79cord
10-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Congratulations upon the find.
Always classy to have an alloy spare!
I like the "as cast" finish but painted & polished up to the extent of Hazwans friend does look dramatic & original hub/bearing caps will really finish them off nicely.
His car really does look nice.
A shame even Honda's dealer accessory & most after-market alloys seem to be 13" also...

haridev
10-13-2008, 02:58 AM
yo hazwan....i too thought they werent enkei. i believe honda had licensed the sport rims for the LX to enkei. it is stated enkei it the back of the rim but honda in front. reminds me of the AMG set i have on the my merc. it states merc in front but AMG at the back.....sad and weird!! i painted the back flat grey. this made the enkei logo obvious. sadly when i sprayed the black i forgot to mask the holes. this made some ugle black overspray to go through. anyway when i get back i will take pics of the logo after i tidy up the engine bay. anyway, how much is ur friend selling the LX rims? if its around RM200 i might consider them. lol...im not desperate though. did u know enkei also made rims with 4X120 with the same banana like pattern rims like the ones i have on now? they look neat as well thought the banana like spokes were smaller and arents as wide and think as the ones i currently have. this is the same as the enkei set u have on urs right now. i saw another 1g with the same set as yours, only in the original silver. 15' hehe... i think that is the only other option for 15' sport rims your for the 1gee in malaysia. if ur really like my style rims and am willing to spend a fortune, u could always get panasport light weight sport rims. the look very similar to mine and i think you could get them in 14' as well...hehe...

and yea 79cord.... his car looks cool and i suspect the silver has been painted over. wish he had left the round centre silver ring for the centre cap. i have the set which i modified (hit the hell out of the clamps to make them larger/wider) to fit the sport rims i currently have on my car. i coud always bend them back to fit the LX rim. i have another 3 spare centre caps. i could fit it to the LX the next time i take a pic, but the plastic clip that sits the spare wheel in the trunk/boot needs the centre cap removed. so i guess il wait a while...regards, dev....

2ndGenGuy
10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I like the rims you have now WAY better, Dev. Enkei made a lot of OEM rims for Honda way back in the day, and probably still do today. That's one of the reasons Enkei rims look so good on Hondas, I believe.

haridev
10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I like the rims you have now WAY better, Dev. Enkei made a lot of OEM rims for Honda way back in the day, and probably still do today. That's one of the reasons Enkei rims look so good on Hondas, I believe.

i still wonder what hazwan's enkei sport rims were meant for. it looks fresh compare to the other common old school alternatives. thanks for ur input. il just keep this piece as a spare. cool to show people what original high spec alloys honda had to offer. regards, dev

Hazwan
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
yo hazwan....i too thought they werent enkei. i believe honda had licensed the sport rims for the LX to enkei. it is stated enkei it the back of the rim but honda in front. reminds me of the AMG set i have on the my merc. it states merc in front but AMG at the back.....sad and weird!! i painted the back flat grey. this made the enkei logo obvious. sadly when i sprayed the black i forgot to mask the holes. this made some ugle black overspray to go through. anyway when i get back i will take pics of the logo after i tidy up the engine bay. anyway, how much is ur friend selling the LX rims? if its around RM200 i might consider them. lol...im not desperate though. did u know enkei also made rims with 4X120 with the same banana like pattern rims like the ones i have on now? they look neat as well thought the banana like spokes were smaller and arents as wide and think as the ones i currently have. this is the same as the enkei set u have on urs right now. i saw another 1g with the same set as yours, only in the original silver. 15' hehe... i think that is the only other option for 15' sport rims your for the 1gee in malaysia. if ur really like my style rims and am willing to spend a fortune, u could always get panasport light weight sport rims. the look very similar to mine and i think you could get them in 14' as well...hehe...

and yea 79cord.... his car looks cool and i suspect the silver has been painted over. wish he had left the round centre silver ring for the centre cap. i have the set which i modified (hit the hell out of the clamps to make them larger/wider) to fit the sport rims i currently have on my car. i coud always bend them back to fit the LX rim. i have another 3 spare centre caps. i could fit it to the LX the next time i take a pic, but the plastic clip that sits the spare wheel in the trunk/boot needs the centre cap removed. so i guess il wait a while...regards, dev....

The silver portion is brushed/polished.

I wish I could get those Panasports, but then I'd rather convert to 4x100 and get upgraded brakes as well:slap:

haridev
10-15-2008, 01:01 AM
damn! he polished them very well then. i guess most of the imperfections on mine could be seen coz it was a close up. also i clear coated the whole face of the rim after the sanding and painting, just to ensure that the polished area could have a lil added protection. even though it didnt shine as much as it did before the clear coating, i know that corrosion would not be an issue for some time.

i never know the holes on the rims were such an issue till i decided to explore my sport rim options. it drove the whole of my city for an entire day till i went to the 1st place that i started to get the current set i have on right now. also, i like your rims hazwan. i really think it goes with the theme of your car. i saw another set on a car in ipoh, it was obviously silver with the enkei stamp on it. i figure it must have been expensive when new. though come to think of it i have seen a similar set in ipoh painted gold!! so hazwan....dun bother changing those rims. i think u have outdone yourself as it stands already.

as for brakes. i have a 3gee servo on my 1gee (i believe its a 3g. not too sure though) it was done by the mechanic around 6 years ago as my dad needed more brake power due to the constant highway driving. this made the brakes seriously powerful. if i were to hit the pedal a lil harder than normal the whole car would REALLY sit!! i must be very careful when hitting the pedal for this reason but its very very cool and i do feel safe for that reason. because of this, the pedal hs hardly worn down due to the light pressure possed upon it. it reminds me of some of the old citroen CX and FIATS which have super light and powerful brakes. as i mentioned i believe its from a 3g but i need to confirm this. but im sure its an upgraded brake servo. regards, dev....

Hazwan
10-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I've seen another 1g with similar wheel like mine in Penang while back. They probably aren't as rare as I thought, but definately not easy to get. I was really lucky that time, and the price is excellent too!

As for the brakes, I want bigger vented disks up front and disk brakes on the rear, but those can get expensive with new wheels and tires. Probably later lol. The current brakes are okay, but more braking power doesn't hurt isn't it? It scares the shit out of me with all these idiots on the road nowadays. And I never locked my brakes before, no matter how hard I slammed the pedal. Either I have super excellent grip, or the brakes are weak!

haridev
10-15-2008, 03:55 AM
oh!! you do have super grip!!! you do have wide tyres to go with those 15' inch tyres you have all round right? what, are they 195/15 or at least 185/15? if they are 185s do let me know as i would need a set later on for my VW. they are getting scarce and expensive. though some newer cars like the toyota avanza 1.6 use them. 175/15 would be better for me.....

ok i went off topic. neway, i have 175/ 15 all round. they 'should' be good as for grip and road holding. my dad use to use dunlop jcine in the days. then moved to goodyear eagle GA. since lately he hardly goes on long hauls, he made a mockery by going for a set of indonesian brand tyres....IMPERIUM!!! however, those tyres look good and its been on the car for the past 4 years with very very little wear but couple with my powerful servo, it has a habbit of a wheel lock and hydro-planning whenever i get a lil too anxious behind the wheel. neway, those tyres are soon to go. im thinking sime tyres nowadays as they are made by continental....what do you think?

Hazwan
10-15-2008, 05:28 AM
MIne are 14".185/60/R14 to be exact. Yours are 14" too right?

I dont trust any of those cheap tires. Last time I went to get both my rear tires replaced that dumb dude offered me some Indonesian tires for RM120 something. And Goodyear/Continental for RM168. I was like WTF are you smoking? Its less than RM50 difference. Not that I'm going to buy no name tires for less than 100 though unless its strictly for short city driving.

Funny story: this woman went out to get details for my car for the printed receipt and I heard she asked the guys up front what car is this, and I heard she said... ready for it.... ..."Toyota?" WTF lol.

Needless to say they have no clue what the model is. Only 'Honda' written on the receipt even then they must have saw the 'H' on the steering wheel or the Honda dealership service reminder sticker I had on the windscreen lol

haridev
10-15-2008, 07:14 AM
is that so, mine is 175/13....hehe...it looks large coz of the spokes that are join the outer rim of the rim itself. sum optic illusion...lol.... the indon tyres i got were some RM70 or something. haha... i think its meant for local taxis as its hard and lasts forever. cant wait to get rid of them. so what brand tyres do you use? you still take ur car to the dealership for oil changes???

79cord
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
The silver portion is brushed/polished.

I thought they looked like a 'spun' finish too; makes them look a bit brighter than a straight 'chromey' polish & gives them a very different look than normal.

My parents used to have a Citroen Cx too; the earlier DS having a brake button instead of a pedal. Hyper sensitive power steering too!

I guess more cars are going for more powerful brake boosters these days, even if it doesn't actually mean the brakes work better.

The '89 Honda Integra alloy wheels (4x100) I had before were made by Enki for Honda as well.

What about locally made wheels? I think the BSA wheels I now have were Malaysian & their website suggested they could make wheels for various stud-patterns; (of course 2nd hand is usually cheaper though.)

Hazwan
10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
is that so, mine is 175/13....hehe...it looks large coz of the spokes that are join the outer rim of the rim itself. sum optic illusion...lol.... the indon tyres i got were some RM70 or something. haha... i think its meant for local taxis as its hard and lasts forever. cant wait to get rid of them. so what brand tyres do you use? you still take ur car to the dealership for oil changes???

Some Continental up front and Dunlops rear.

Nah I didn't send the car to the dealership. I did all the oil changes myself. I stole the sticker when I was there with my brother servicing his new Honda.

I thought they looked like a 'spun' finish too; makes them look a bit brighter than a straight 'chromey' polish & gives them a very different look than normal.

My parents used to have a Citroen Cx too; the earlier DS having a brake button instead of a pedal. Hyper sensitive power steering too!

I guess more cars are going for more powerful brake boosters these days, even if it doesn't actually mean the brakes work better.

The '89 Honda Integra alloy wheels (4x100) I had before were made by Enki for Honda as well.

What about locally made wheels? I think the BSA wheels I now have were Malaysian & their website suggested they could make wheels for various stud-patterns; (of course 2nd hand is usually cheaper though.)

I don't know, I never seen any other wheels with 4x120 before. The older 13" (which broke during the ditch accident) are made by JRD.

There might be a set waiting somewhere though..

haridev
10-15-2008, 10:15 PM

my mechanic had a Citroen DS. the brake button was nuts!! do you know that when the DS was first launched, many cars came back in the 1st 2weeks with rear end collision due to the brakes?

Ive never checked BSA but im sure that the local JRD made 120X4. i dont know if they still do though.

more powerful brake boosters are fine on a 1gee. the OEM brakes can handle the power. but this is very dependent on the tyres as well. get sum shitty tyres and you would be skating....

haridev
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
hey, do you have pics of the ditch incident? must have been a real bummer!! still ur car looks great regardless of what happened. no one would ever know....

loa706
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
i got what u need

loa706
09-07-2011, 10:26 AM
how bout this
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/loa70613/03312011_002.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/loa70613/03312011_001.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/loa70613/03312011.jpg
oh and i have a spare..set of 5

2ndGenGuy
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
DO WANT. How much? :D

stat1K
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
i wonder if the guy that has them is in malaysia lol...

loa706
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
na bro closer than u think...dalton ga

loa706
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
or these
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/loa70613/Mobile%20Uploads/0709111819.jpg

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Those are.... interesting. How about sellin' those factory LX wheels? Eh eh?

I would have guessed Malaysia as well... for a couple reasons... lol

loa706
09-09-2011, 05:24 AM
http://thisoldhonda.org/ads_detail.php?ID=2123

this guy sellin his

2ndGenGuy
09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
WOA thanks man! Fuckin right near me too!

loa706
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I need a set or just one center cap mine was stolen if some one is selling one or a set I'll pay top dallor plz 7062802323