PDA

View Full Version : freeway speed handling

K DASH
09-24-2002, 09:52 PM
my friend drove my accord on the freeway and he noticed more of a "solid" feel in the steering than his newer ('97) accord. i assume its because of the non-power steering at high speeds. i personally like how the accord handles opposed to full power steering cars. Do any of you perfer the feel of non power steering at high speeds?

GreenMachine
09-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Yup ! i do, ya can feel the road more i think.

GreenMachine
09-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Oh .. Welcome aboard !

K DASH
09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
haha thanks, i love my accord. i was kind of suprised when i found a whole community devoted to 3rd generation accords. Ima "represent" by getting a 3Geez sticker!

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Yep...I LOVE the way our cars handle/steer on the highway. Now don't get me wrong, I like my sisters Maxima and all, but if there's one thing I HATE about that car is the steering. It's the full power steering yada-yada, and even at low speeds it's just too mushy and unresponsive, and high speeds it's even worse. Nowhere near as crisp and precise as our cars. Plus ours really do have a solid feel to them. I think it's partly the steering, and partly the low-and-wide stance that our cars have that make them feel so solid and stable.

My moms 5th gen does feel pretty solid and tight at highway speeds too, though. Not sure if they have the same "power assist" type steering that we do.

87accordlx
09-25-2002, 02:40 AM
ok i know about the power assist, but your sayin at highway speeds we have no power steering? that's a really good idea if it's true

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-25-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by 87accordlx
ok i know about the power assist, but your sayin at highway speeds we have no power steering? that's a really good idea if it's true
Our cars are "variable assist". There is a speed sensor that tells the ps how fast you're going, and at low speeds you get full assist, and as you go faster the amount of assist gets less and less. So by the time you get to highway speeds, it's pretty much cut off all the assist. There may be a little still, but now as much as at lower speeds.

Mantis88LX
09-25-2002, 08:17 AM
so its like having n opw steering at high speeds?? hmm so you probably gain a few horses too.

ACCORD EX
09-25-2002, 08:55 AM
power steering is better on the highway than non powered ! why ? because the steering wheel is in place doesn't move to left or right only if you move it by hand ( which activates some sensor mounted somewhere on the steering system , don't remember it's name ) ! so if you raise your car in the air ( front wheels ) it will be easier to turn them by hand ( the wheels ) on the non power assisted but harder in a power assisted ( ofcourse the car engine is on ) do you get the idea guys !

it's easier to move from inside ( PS )
but harder if you grap it by hand ( PS ) than graping it by hand on a non PS ! which gives you better control of your car in high speeds !

MIKE

1989se-i
09-25-2002, 10:59 AM
I let a chick at werk drive my car, and she loved the handling (and wicked power, mwaha)