PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to get some input.

turabaka
10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Now that I have a job and a little extra spending money, I'm thinking about doing some headwork to my car, and also regrinding the cam. I just wanted to get some input on what the best grind would be for a NA build. Right now all I've got done to it is the following
38 weber
2.25 mandrel exhaust
that's pretty much it for the main stuff.

I'm hoping to have enough money to send the head in for a port and polish job and have a little bit milled off of it to bump up compression a bit before next spring. With that in mind what do you guys suggest I get for a cam. This car is my daily driver, but I don't really care about lopey idles or anything like that.

edit: thought I'd add this so I don't look like a lazy ass that won't search. Basically I know what's available. I'm just wondering what you guys are using or what you think would work best for my situation.

rjudgey
10-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Look at webcams
and don't go to any cylinder head place check these guys out they know what they are doing off and are pretty reasonable too!!

http://www.cccylinderheads.com

They are by far the best i've seen anyone else will just make it worse!! Your better off doing a few simple things i could talk you through and then dropping your cam into web cams. They have a nice hard weld grind but to be honest going with the milder ones isn't so bad especially if you plan on leaving your flywheel stock. If you plan on having a lightweight one from Clutchnet and upgrading the clutch then maybe for the higher duration and make use of the higher top end power. But you have to make sure that the engine is in tip top condition before using something that has 270 degrees or more of duration as you'll be revving to 7-8k rpm and will wear out quicker if it's already fairly high mileage. As far as head work is concerned, you should be looking at a 3/5 angle cut with radius edges, the seats should be no more than 1.5mm for a daily driver 1mm if you want more speed but will need re-cutting after maybe 50k miles, then just make sure all casting marks are removed from ports, and that the valve seats are blended nicely into the ports, the whole port area should be all nice and evenly finished off with a smooth to touch finish but looks rough and circular sanding marks very visible, the rougher the finish the better for carbs so don't worry about it if you think it's too rough as long as it's evenly finished so not rough here and then smooth there!! The exhaust ports should be polish and the area around the guides reworked, the chambers can benefit and give good gains if the valves are unshrouded and the walls are polished up a but and the roof blended smooth with the valve seats. If your on a budget best thing you can do, is get some SI valves, have them matched to the seats that are as standard 3 angle cut, then just blend the valve seats into the ports yourself, open up the inlet ports next to the manifold so that they are a nice rounded trumpet shape and that they expand over the ports on the inlet manifold, clean up the exhaust ports have it skimmed and you should get nice gains with the cam and the weber that you allready have.

turabaka
10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks dude. You're a big help. I looked on Clutchnet's website and they have three different flywheels listed for our car. Which one is the right one to get for a DX?

2oodoor
10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
this will be interesting :naughty:sounds great!

all of that will push you p band up in rpms so forget about poking along cuz the engine will love throttle, and with a 38/38 they love gas if you are not easing around with them. just expect it that is all im saying.

I dunno though, if you can get a good vacuum with the higher compression it may not be so hard to get enough torque for general driving without making her growl.. lol
I believe these engines have three angle cuts on the valves already stock.

turabaka
10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
this will be interesting :naughty:sounds great!

all of that will push you p band up in rpms so forget about poking along cuz the engine will love throttle, and with a 38/38 they love gas if you are not easing around with them. just expect it that is all im saying.

I dunno though, if you can get a good vacuum with the higher compression it may not be so hard to get enough torque for general driving without making her growl.. lol
I believe these engines have three angle cuts on the valves already stock.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting it to be as low key anymore, and as for gas milage I couldn't care less as long as it's better than my parent's jeep.

As for flywheels, which one is the correct one to get for my car?
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=21717&cat=0&page=1
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=21718&cat=0&page=1
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=21719&cat=0&page=1

Those are the three that clutchnet has listed. Two of them seem to have different diameters, which is why I'm confused.

MessyHonda
10-18-2008, 07:49 PM
im sure ours were 212mm....i got one and i love the flywheel...i paid like 280 from them last year

rjudgey
10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
3 angle cuts, only on the seats the valves are single cut and make a big difference if you re profile them and back cut them to match the seat.