PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord lxi lagging in power?

Bake
10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
hi new poster here, i have an 88 accord lxi that lacks power until it reaches the rpm range of 2200 to 2500. once that is reached it will then accelerate like it is shot out of a cannon. after it does this it will run just fine. if i slow down while it is still cold it will do it again until it is warmed up. done the normal tune up, plugs wires cap fuel filter air filter checked the fuel pressure and regulator, replaced the cooling temperature sensor, checked the vacuum advance with hand held vacuum pump, there are no codes on the ecu and i am at my wits end. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. bake

Oldblueaccord
10-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Take a look at your timing is about all I can think of. If the timing belt has been done recently it may been a tooth off and be loosing some power down low. These motor are not big so the low end power is not great. You really want to keep it around 3k RPM's its the motors sweet spot.

wp

Bake
10-22-2008, 03:40 PM
thanks for the reply. I'll check the timing asap. the timing belt was changed at 70 k.The car has 121k on it now.

Bake
11-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Checked the timing, it was off a few degrees .this seemed to help some.I still have slight power surge around 2200 rpm when it's cold . The cold side vacuum advance comes on and off when it should. I'm going to try the poormans rebuild next. When does the mec. advance come into play? Could the weight and springs sticking be my power surge problem? Thanks in advance.

Oldblueaccord
11-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Well if its 2200 rpm at cruise like 55 mph/in 5th then yes mine does it too. A slight surge at steady speed. I think its the spot where the gas mileage is rated so the vacuum advances are trying to tune it. I just drive at 60 or 50. Mines always done it since I have had it. Not sure how much advance it should or should not have at certain rpm sorry. Your mechanical springs maybe weak and less advance at low rpm then needed.

wp

Ed-ro
11-15-2008, 05:56 AM
there is a serv bulletin #89-043 for a hesitation around 1500 rpm.it requires coil & coil harness replacement as well as spark plugs.you miht want tocheck this out!as i am a certified honda tech w/access to isis websight i thought this might intrest u !

Oldblueaccord
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Ed-ro is right on. I got it in PDF forum but I cant figure out how to post it. Send me a PM anyone that wants it or can help.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/171/capturegf8.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capturegf8.jpg)http://img404.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

wp

Dr_Snooz
11-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd sure try a can of Techron before anything else.

Bake
11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Dr snooz I don't want to sound like a dumbass but what is Techron and what does it do???

Bake
11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Ed-ro I checked the coil with my meter, it checked OK pre the factory servise manual . I'll call the honda shop and see what they say about the bulletin 89-043 thanks for the reply

Oldblueaccord
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Ed-ro I checked the coil with my meter, it checked OK pre the factory servise manual . I'll call the honda shop and see what they say about the bulletin 89-043 thanks for the reply

Ed-ro is right on. I got it in PDF forum but I cant figure out how to post it. Send me a PM anyone that wants it or can help.

wp

Bake
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
oldblueaccord , I Havn't had a chance to tear into the distributor yet. The surge I.m having is not at cruise speed ,it happens when you startout from a stop. most of the time it's between 1500-3000 rpm. it depends on how fast you try to take off. after the engine warms up to normal temp. the problem seams to go away most of the time. Each time I work on it I have to let it cool overnight then start over. That sucks!!!

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Dr snooz I don't want to sound like a dumbass but what is Techron and what does it do???

It's injector cleaner. You can buy it at a Chevron station or Autozone (I think). Probably a can or two and you'll be ready to rock.

Rendon LX-i
11-18-2008, 10:47 PM
its your dizzy....or your off timing one of them to.

Bake
11-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I've already ran 3 bottles of Lucas fuel treatment and didn't help. I'll try the Techron ,maybe it's better stuff . At this point anything is worth a shot.

Bake
11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Rendon Lxi. You might be rite. I'm about ready to make a lamp out of that freaken dizzy!! I can't find time to do shit when I'm working these 12 hr. midnight shifts. Thanks for the reply.

Rendon LX-i
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
no prob thats what happen to me...Lagging power then got worse then just dieded.....so dont keep driving it then u b pushing lol...

Ed-ro
11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
S/b #89-043 Includes-igniter-coil-harness-fuel Pressure Regulater & Spark Plugs #zfr5f-11.this Bulletin Is For Hesitation When Cold.its A Package Deal.i Dont Thing Any One Part Will Fix This Problem.

Oldblueaccord
11-20-2008, 10:14 AM
oldblueaccord , I Havn't had a chance to tear into the distributor yet. The surge I.m having is not at cruise speed ,it happens when you startout from a stop. most of the time it's between 1500-3000 rpm. it depends on how fast you try to take off. after the engine warms up to normal temp. the problem seams to go away most of the time. Each time I work on it I have to let it cool overnight then start over. That sucks!!!

I have the TSB. all I need to do is send it to you if you want is what I am trying to say. Its in PDF form and I cant convert it to anything else it seems.

I posted the parts list that is on the TSB coil,plug replacement and a wireing harness change that I dont understand but maybe Ed can help with that.

Good luck!

wp

Ed-ro
11-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda Service Bulletin # 89-043 Applies To All 86-89 Lxi & Sei-not Vin Specific.the Coil Part# Is Akit W/coil - Sub Coil Harness & A Different Connector.the Updated Coil Has Different Plug Connectors Than The Stock Ones.there Is Also A Different Igniter Unit @ Fuel Pressure Regulator.if You Replace These Parts W/stock Or Aftermarket Parts You Probably Will Have The Same Issues.the New Parts Are Different From Stock Items.

Bake
11-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Here is an update. The LXI is running fine now. The only thing I did was to bleed the thermostat housing 2 more times when it was hot. Fans running. I find it hard to believe that this fixed the problem. We bought the lxi new in 88 and this is the ONLY trouble in 20 years. Thanks for everyones help,this is a great forum and I've learnd alot that will help in the future. Bake.

2oodoor
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Here is an update. The LXI is running fine now. The only thing I did was to bleed the thermostat housing 2 more times when it was hot. Fans running. I find it hard to believe that this fixed the problem. We bought the lxi new in 88 and this is the ONLY trouble in 20 years. Thanks for everyones help,this is a great forum and I've learnd alot that will help in the future. Bake.

wow

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Double wow.

On the same subject, I can't seem to get my system bled properly. With the car on level ground, I add coolant and nothing ever comes out of the bleed hole. The radiator will overflow before I ever get anything out of the bleed hole. I've taken to lifting up the front end of the car to add coolant. It's complicated by my having that wonder-lifetime coolant stuff. It's a little thicker than regular coolant so the problem is worse. I have to get the car to operating temp, then lift up the front, then bleed.

Anybody else have this problem?

2oodoor
10-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Im wondering about the steel tube that seems to be connected to the breather vent on the valve cover. How in the hell are PVC breather vent and coolant lines related? The steel tube gets very hot, time for a closer look. This seeminly useless piece of hardware is bolted down like its a packaged toy from China.

anubix
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Double wow.

On the same subject, I can't seem to get my system bled properly. With the car on level ground, I add coolant and nothing ever comes out of the bleed hole. The radiator will overflow before I ever get anything out of the bleed hole. I've taken to lifting up the front end of the car to add coolant. It's complicated by my having that wonder-lifetime coolant stuff. It's a little thicker than regular coolant so the problem is worse. I have to get the car to operating temp, then lift up the front, then bleed.

Anybody else have this problem?

You have to start the car up before you open the bleed hole.
I usually fill the radiator till it stops bubbling down THEN start the car and open the bleed hole. Fluid will eventually squirt out after its warmed up a little