PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

Timaculent
10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Ok I am trying to get my ac up and running. Are there some things that I am required to replace and others that should be still good.

I am thinking that I will have to replace the reciever/drier, the expansion valve, the compressor, belts.

What about the evaporator and the condenser. is there something that I should replace there?

Oh and I posted some parts for sale you can view them in the trading for sale area.

Timaculent
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Anyone have a diagram from the clintons on the ac system. I have haynes but I wonder if there is a better one out there?

86ccord
10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone have a diagram from the clintons on the ac system. I have haynes but I wonder if there is a better one out there?

eh i used haynes to take mine out.. and it was hard to understand..haha.. but yeah.. not sure if there is anything else out there.. google it

nswst8
10-15-2008, 06:08 PM
1. Determine if there is pressure in the system. If there is, why won't it work is the next question.

Reciever/drier replacement is recommended

Expansion valve replacement is not required unless it is clogged. But I do recommend replacing all o-rings especially the expansion valve.

Unless the other components are leaking just repalce the o-rings.

Timaculent
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
ok cool now i have to figure out the type of compressor to buy.

the car have in a kehin but I would rather a Nippondenso. I am getting a bracket from vanilla sky. the kehin siezed up. and the line on the passenger side exploaded and leaked. So i need the ac line on that side and the the bracket. I was wondering about the condensor and the evaporator. Should I take them out and at least clean them or something?

nswst8
10-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Yes, anytime a compressor seizes always flush components downstream.

You could have gotten these items at the junkyard.

Now you do understand that you have to pull a vaccum on the system before you charge it.

Dr_Snooz
10-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Majestic Honda (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp) sells a new Denso unit with bracket and lines, if I recall correctly. Be warned that it's quite expensive (~$600). Napa has a very good 134a conversion kit that has detailed instructions that are worth following closely. You'll need to flush everything thoroughly and change *every* o-ring if you don't want trouble later. As I understand it, the expansion valve is important to replace after a compressor shredders itself because all the shrapnel heads straight down the line and gets caught in it. Also important to replace the filter/receiver/dryer unit.

You'll need to draw a vacuum on the system like nswst8 says. If you don't have a vacuum pump, you'll need to rent/borrow one. Fill the system with *exactly* two cans of 134. If you put more, you'll spring a leak later that you'll have to fix.

Hope that helps.

nswst8
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
The system takes 4 ounces of oil, don't put any more than that and don't put any less than 3oz.

Please remember to drain the shipping oil in the compressor, measure what comes out of the compressor and replace it but sutract it from the 4 ounces total.

Put 2 ounces in the compressor 1 ounce in the condensor, 1 ounce in the evaporator.

(Spin the compressor by hand when all fittings are tightened.),

Since you are probably going to go with a R134a conversion it is "IMPOTANT" that you replace all the o-rings and clean the evaporator thoroughly. Since R134a operates at higher pressures.

Use denatured alcohol (Home depot, Lowe's,)to flush the system its cheaper than a/c flush and just as thorough. Plus it evaporates faster.

R134a is two 12oz cans (22-24oz) and 4oz of ester oil "MAX". "DO NOT", I REPEAT "DO NOT" put more than 24oz of R134a, this is the absolute max this system can take.

There are other refrigerants out there but unless you are a professional "DON'T" try them.

If you do it this way, you should not have any problems for years.

If it gets confusing you can call me, just PM me for my number.

Timaculent
10-24-2008, 08:25 PM
The system takes 4 ounces of oil, don't put any more than that and don't put any less than 3oz.

Please remember to drain the shipping oil in the compressor, measure what comes out of the compressor and replace it but sutract it from the 4 ounces total.

Put 2 ounces in the compressor 1 ounce in the condensor, 1 ounce in the evaporator.

(Spin the compressor by hand when all fittings are tightened.),

Since you are probably going to go with a R134a conversion it is "IMPOTANT" that you replace all the o-rings and clean the evaporator thoroughly. Since R134a operates at higher pressures.

Use denatured alcohol (Home depot, Lowe's,)to flush the system its cheaper than a/c flush and just as thorough. Plus it evaporates faster.

R134a is two 12oz cans (22-24oz) and 4oz of ester oil "MAX". "DO NOT", I REPEAT "DO NOT" put more than 24oz of R134a, this is the absolute max this system can take.

There are other refrigerants out there but unless you are a professional "DON'T" try them.

If you do it this way, you should not have any problems for years.

If it gets confusing you can call me, just PM me for my number.

OK I GOT a new condenser, a new reciever/ drier, a new expansion valve, replacemet hoses, new ac bracket, remanufactured ac compressor from junk yard, The last thing is either to get a new compressor and maybe get a new evaporator.

I think I am almost there I wonder if there is anything that I am forgetting.

RamThis
10-24-2008, 08:41 PM
I got lucky on mine, just the manifold gasket on the side of the compressor was leaking. I replaced the gasket, we drew a vacuum on the system, put in a few ounces of PAG oil, and charged it with two cans of 134A. In around 100F ambient temp, the vents were putting out around 42F. That car would freeze you out even in the summer. The new 3G will be getting the same treatment but I plan to replace the O-rings in the system first.
Last system stayed charged and worked great for just over a year of use, as far as I know it's still charged fully out in the garage, even though the rest of the car is just a shell lol.

There was a product I used in my 96 Integra GSR, as it's AC never got really cold. It was called Wynn's Ice 32. Was some sort of additive that went in with the refrigerant. It really helped. Wynn's does not sell it anymore but there are similar products out there. Might try one if you still notice it's not cooling as much as you'd like..... not sure if they adversely effect the system's life though maybe nswst8 could chime in since he seems to really know his AC systems lol.

Timaculent
10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
got evaporator today
man the one in the car was so dirty. lots of leaves and other unidentifiable crap.

i put together the new expansion valve and evaporator. just need to get some orings cause the value pack that i bought is missing the small ones

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Good to see you're getting the AC going. I melted the last time I was in Miami with no AC.

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
got condenser today
man the one in the car was so dirty. lots of leaves and other unidentifiable crap.

i put together the new expansion valve and evaporator. just need to get some orings cause the value pack that i bought is missing the small ones

Damn dude, you're going all out. If you got a 134a conversion kit, there should be about 1.2 billion o-rings included with it. I still have a big wad tumbling around in my toolbox from four years ago when I did mine.

Timaculent
10-29-2008, 03:38 PM
man what a day
1. Condensor installed
2 .Evaporator installed
3. reciever drier installed
4. a/c lines installed
5. compressor and bracket installed
6. changed oil & filter
7. entire trunk interior changed over.
8.flushed radiator
9. installed prestone bypass in coolant line to top of engine.

now I need to
vacuume the system
add ester oil
add 2 bottles of freon

darn im working tomorrow so i dont know when i will be able to vacume the system and charge it. luckilly its getting a little cold outside so i shouldn't be sweating while driving to work.

Timaculent
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
The old compressor turned half a turn and then stops with a cracking noise.

Man talk about seized.

Timaculent
10-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Used prestone radiator flush. will be in for the next two days. hope it gets all the crap in there..

Vanilla Sky
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
You can run water through until it comes out clean, then run that flush and it will come out crappy. I've heard of baking soda used before with good results, but I won't use it because it makes the water an electrolyte solution and can cause the radiator to split at one of the solder joints. This usually doesn't happen, but I've seen it happen.

Timaculent
10-29-2008, 07:36 PM
thanks. i will run the flush in the system for 2 days and then refill with 50/ 50 and water

Timaculent
10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
temp guage seems to spike a little though. i wonder if I should get a new sensor for the bottom of the radiator?

Timaculent
11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Everything is vacuume, oiled and filled. The pressure sensor needed to be adjuested a little but I have 0 leaks. Man it a beautiful thing to have ac back again. Miami has been killing me for too long now.

Timaculent
11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
I think there is a weird noise comming from the evaporator

I hear like a soft hiss then it stops and then starts again. I figured that it was the expansion valve opening and closing. Anyone experience this???

Dr_Snooz
11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

I hear like a soft hiss then it stops and then starts again. I figured that it was the expansion valve opening and closing. Anyone experience this???

You only hear it when the fan is on low speeds? It's just the freon cycling through. It's normal.

Timaculent
11-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Man AC sure burns alot more gas.

russiankid
11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Really? I only noticed 1-2mpg difference.

tenchimuyo93
11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
i havent had working A/C in a car for about 10 years now i guess. but the 2 extra windows helps alot.

nswst8
11-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Yeah, its just the expansion valve. No worries. Congrats on the A/C repair. Now just keep your cooling system in good working order and you will be good to go.