PDA

View Full Version : Broke the bolt on the fork for the throwout bearing!

greentee76
10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Sooooo... I was on my way to the folks house for Sunday dinner and as I put the clutch in to slow down for a light I hear bang! Everything was still working fine so assumed it must have come from another car on the road. At the next couple of lights it seemed as if my clutch engagement point had moved. I've had the clutch cable back off on me before, so when I got to the folks house I popped the hood and adjusted it up alittle( another task made much easier by eliminating all the emmisions crap). Seems OK. So eat up some dinner and it's time to head for bowling league. Get about halfway there run up through the gears and when I shift into fifth gear the pedal does not come back up! Shit. So I pull it into a parking lot and jump out to look figuring the cable snapped. Nope. Cables still intact but has alot of slop on BOTH ends. WTF? Messed with it for 10-15min. before one of my teamates luckily sees me laying under my car in the parking lot and stops. No time now, time to bowl! Go back after bowling and mess with it some more in the dark. Nothing. Go back Monday and look at it, now it's apparent that the release arm isn't returning. Shit. Figured I broke the retainer spring for the TO bearing. Get the transmission out in about 5 hours in between actually doing my job last night and find......... The damn bolt that holds the fork to the shaft is sheered of in the hole!!!
Spent today getting parts, new retainer spring, bolt, washer and throwout bearing going in. ( Because I really don't want to pull the trans again anytime soon and the clutch is in good shape) Had a bunch of fun trying to find a throwout bearing, local Honda dealer said it would be a week, had to come from Chino,CA, same thing at the NAPA dealer. Finally I thought I'll get one from Rock Auto and have them overnight it. Rushed to work to use the computer and got the order in. Actually spent less with next day shipping than Honda wanted for the part alone. So hopefully there will be a new throwout bearing arriving at my house in the morning.
Wish me luck in getting it back together for the weekend.

Sorry for the long post but it is 3gee related, and thought I'd let you know of my latest 3gee adventure!

Josh89accord
10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Wow man, That really sucks. Best of luck.

greentee76
10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Wow man, That really sucks. Best of luck.

Thanks,man. Wouldn't be any fun if I didn't get to work on it once in a while,right? ;)

ghettogeddy
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
i have to do my clutch soon lol

Dr_Snooz
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Drag. Hope you're rolling again soon.

greentee76
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, Mr Fed ex man knocked at my door at 11:15pm this morning with my new throwout bearing in hand, and Honda called to say the bolt and washer were in so I have all the parts. I just need things to slow down here at work so I can get out there and get the trans back in!

nswst8
10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
What! We're not done yet. (Smiling)

greentee76
10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Taking a break to grab a bite to eat, then I'll get out there and hit it hard for the last 3-3-1/2 hours of the night. I got the shaft back in and the throwout assembly assembled. Just got to get it up in there and remember where all the bolts go.:)

russiankid
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
5 hours to pull the trans? I pulled mine in 2 hours, I just had my brother help me lower it.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck, it happens.

greentee76
10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
5 hours to pull the trans? I pulled mine in 2 hours, I just had my brother help me lower it.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck, it happens.

Well that was while I was working, getting parts for 5 mechanics and answering the phone, I didn't think it was that bad.

UPDATE:
Got her back together friday night but since the site was down didn't get to update. Drove it all weekend without a problem and clutch is much smoother now after cleaning 220K worth of junk off the throwout shaft. Only victim was the speedo cable, it was froze in the speed sensor and I guess the torch wasn't the right tool to unfreeze it! Oh well, ordered one from Rockauto yesterday. Besides its pretty easy to tell how fast you're going by the growl of the Weber from under the hood.

nswst8
10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Good to hear.

2oodoor
10-21-2008, 01:48 PM
i have to do my clutch soon lol

dam GG that was a messy style post.. lol:D

Dr_Snooz
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Glad it's all better now!

greentee76
10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Good to hear.

Glad it's all better now!

Thanks guys. Being that it IS a 3gee outta be good for at least another 100K.

MessyHonda
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
dam GG that was a messy style post.. lol:D

yeah but when i really killed my clutch i just got a stage 3 clutch...i still need to take some vids on it...i love my integera gears also