PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak help!

Hazwan
10-16-2008, 03:55 AM
I need help with oil leaking from the distributor housing (or whatever it is called) area where it meets the head as shown in this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/leak.jpg

I am positive its not the valve cover gasket, but there are zero leaks when I reinstall the gasket with generous amount of gasket maker.

Is there a seal or something that I can replace? Is that piece even removeable?

nswst8
10-16-2008, 04:32 AM
Distributor O-ring should take care of that.

Hazwan
10-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Ah that makes sense. Never thought of that since the distributor is mounted that way instead of directly on the side. I guess its distributor housing or whatever-you-call-it o-ring then?

2ndGenGuy
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
The dizzy O-ring won't take care of it. But yeah there is another O-ring behind that housing. Though I've got a brand new o-ring behind mine and it still leaks. Just make sure you get a good one. When you take that part off of the head, there's also a paper gasket that you'll have to get as well that is a funky shape for the water channel that's in there too. Sucks that you have to drain your coolant to get to that, but might as well put in a new t-stat and a new o-ring there too.

Hazwan
10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm going to get my radiator fixed as theres a tiny leak so it won't be a problem. Plus its been a while since I last changed the coolant.

So uh, how do I take that apart? one bolt up front (like in my picture) and the bolt that holds up the thermostat housing?

Manual scan anyone?? :D

2ndGenGuy
10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Here ya go:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/81%20FSM/manual.jpg

Hazwan
10-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Sweet! Thanks a lot!!

Hazwan
10-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Changed the o-ring today and its not fun. One of the bolt that holds up the thermostat housing snapped, but thank God it snapped just before I tightened it down, so I could retrieve the broken part easily. But finding a replacement is quite a challenge!

Anyway, I went eveywhere and nobody seems to carry the paper gasket for both distributor and thermostat housing. Is it okay if I use gasket maker to replace the original gasket?

79cord
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
One of the bolt that holds up the thermostat housing snapped.

Yes had that happen too. Lower bolts often thinned by rust & housing corroded too..
Can't remember what I did for seal though. Gasket paper & sealant?