PDA

View Full Version : Help!! 88 LX died!

88accordA20A1
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey guys, got another one for you. car has been running fine for the past few months, though my battery light has consistently been on. i was riding down the road approx. 15 minutes after start up (i allowed it to get to full temp.) when i got to second gear i couldn't get it to rev past 2,000 and i was stuck at a measly 22mph. i finally gave up on pressing the pedal any further and put in the clutch, at which time it just died off. i can get the car restarted, but even in neutral if i rev past 2,000 it will die off as soon as i release the accelerator. i have very recently replaced the fuel pump, both fuel filters, installed a manual choke, and alternator, not to mention the LX has recieved a heavy diet of seafoam at least once a month. there are no additives in the tank, i don't see any visible leaks, and it would appear as though the fuel is priming because the car restarts with no hesitation. Help!!!?!

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Ignore me.

88accordA20A1
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
As an update, i read in another thread that the air suction tube plays a large role in preventing carb icing? i started the car today, did a couple of redline revs to make sure i wasn't just clogged up anywhere, but as it stands the temperature here has been around 55 during the day and below 40 at night... fuckin maryland... anyway i've recently put a pacesetter header on, and did away with both the egr and the a/s tube... obviously i welded the holes on the header shut. is there another place on the motor i can run a jerry-rigged tube to prevent the icing? is this not likely to be the problem? the car would restart almost immediately after dying, but after any form of gas on the pedal killed it. (by the way, car started and ran fine today, which is slightly warmer outside than yesterday)

any ideas?

russiankid
10-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I doubt you have carb icing. I had the hot air pipe off for a while now and when it got really cold outside I didn't have any issues. I think the issues you are having is not having a sufficient supply of fuel at those RPM's do to your battery light i.e. fuel pump not getting enough voltage.

88accordA20A1
10-18-2008, 10:32 AM
ah, well that makes sense. i'll test the voltage on that circuit and see what i get. what's a good reading to look for, if you know?

russiankid
10-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I would say about 14+ volts with engine running. Your alternator is probably going out.