PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Pledge furniture polish?

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2008, 06:41 PM
When I got my car painted, the guy at the shop turned me on to Pledge furniture polish for conditioning and preserving the plastic and vinyl on my car. Just wondering if anyone is using Pledge and how it works over the long haul. I need to keep my stuff from aging in the Fresno sun, so any thoughts are appreciated.

turabaka
10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
When I got my car painted, the guy at the shop turned me on to Pledge furniture polish for conditioning and preserving the plastic and vinyl on my car. Just wondering if anyone is using Pledge and how it works over the long haul. I need to keep my stuff from aging in the Fresno sun, so any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't see how it would hurt anything. I use pledge to polish my guitar, and haven't screwed up the finish on it at all.

2ndGenGuy
10-18-2008, 07:04 PM
It's just kind of a wax in an aerosol can isn't it? The only thing that might worry me would be the lemony scent. But it doesn't ruin the super soft and porous wood that I spray it on. I'm sure it would be fine.

lostforawhile
10-19-2008, 10:07 AM
i've heard this from the hot rod guys too, armor all will destroy your plastic.

2oodoor
10-19-2008, 10:23 AM
You need to know the base in the product you use on vinyl and leather that is exposed to UV light.
If alcohol, or certain solvent base oils like mineral spirits are used it could soften up the material too much and then the result is when it dries out good again from UV it will split and expand, then contract when it cools.
Some of the plastics in these cars is a little different than US models as well. An example of that on my car is the steering wheel slip ring will squeal like pig as soon as ambient temps reach around 84 degrees F. My throttle and TV cable housings also change at higher temps, I can have them set just perfect at 75 F then when there is 30 degree change either side of that the adjustments gradually change.

2oodoor
10-19-2008, 10:26 AM
On the Armor All, I usually cut it with water, and it works the same way with less penetration. Almost 50-50:D

DBMaster
10-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I use a protectant from Griot's Garage that leaves no residue. It is low gloss, also. I find glossy dashes distracting. If I had a newer car I wold only clean things with a damp microfiber towel because newer plastics usually do not have the thin vinyl over foam padding like ours. They tend to be solid materials. At a classic car show a long time ago someone told me that once you start using products like Armor-All your car becomes an "addict." Supposedly the silicone or chemicals in the protectant penetrate the plastic, solubilize the plasticizers, and cause them to evaporate as the protectant evaporates. So, if you don't keep using it the plastic will dry out. I can't really confirm or deny that. With the products I use I only apply them about twice a year and my dash still looks new.

Honestly, the best protection for your interior is a UV blocking tint film and a windshield screen that you put up on hot sunny days.

This is really good stuff, though.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/interior+detailing/vinyl+%26+rubber+dressing%2C+8+ounces.do

There is also a very plausible description about why most "protectants" are not good for plastics.

2oodoor
10-19-2008, 01:23 PM
At a classic car show a long time ago someone told me that once you start using products like Armor-All your car becomes an "addict." Supposedly the silicone or chemicals in the protectant penetrate the plastic, solubilize the plasticizers, and cause them to evaporate as the protectant evaporates. So, if you don't keep using it the plastic will dry out. Honestly, the best protection for your interior is a UV blocking tint film and a windshield screen that you put up on hot sunny days.

This is really good stuff, though.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/interior+detailing/vinyl+%26+rubber+dressing%2C+8+ounces.do

There is also a very plausible description about why most "protectants" are not good for plastics.

Pretty much what I was saying, just different words :D

DBMaster
10-19-2008, 02:01 PM
That's true. Just give me something that can be stated in three words and I can turn it into an essay! :)

LxAcc510
10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
That's true. Just give me something that can be stated in three words and I can turn it into an essay! :)

iron my shirt. :lol:

Pico
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I've used it years ago on my Olds Cutlass, but I used it on the paint

DBMaster
10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
iron my shirt. :lol:

Do you prefer no starch, light starch, or heavy starch? On hangers or folded?

gfrg88
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
ive always used it on all my cars, and works wonders. peace.

Dr_Snooz
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
ive always used it on all my cars, and works wonders. peace.

Has it ever made your tires crack like Armor All does?

DBMaster
10-26-2008, 01:29 PM
If you are not a big fan of the "greasy tire" look you can just use Westley's Bleche-White. I buy it at AZ now, but Wal Mart may have it. It has been around since the days of fat white walls. It cleans the black rubber like new every time. Since it does not build up like the tire spray products your tires won't look like ass the first time you go through some puddles.

I spray it on right after hosing down the car then scrub a little with a tire brush and rinse it off.

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
That might work. It seems like everything I use makes my tires crack. :(

VIPER1988
10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
i have always used stp son of a gun on all rubber plastic and vinyl. never had any problems with cracking or anything

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
i have always used stp son of a gun on all rubber plastic and vinyl. never had any problems with cracking or anything

Well, it's either the protectant or all the drifting... :tongue:

VIPER1988
10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
drifting will definitely do it :)

at least you have fun doing it though

gfrg88
10-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Has it ever made your tires crack like Armor All does?

I've never used on my tires before actually.. never really use anything on my tires unless im going to a meet or some kind of car show, ill just put some armor all on a rag and rub it on the tires lightly... never had a problem with them cracking..

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Bringing back this thread. I've used the Pledge for a few months now and my overwhelming reaction is: meh. It's okay. It doesn't really condition the vinyl. It puts a nice low-key sheen, but over time, you can see the vinyl drying out/getting lighter beneath. It doesn't make the vinyl any more supple or any newer looking.

Pledge is probably better than Armor All, but Zymol (http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A1535A0A0.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&s_kwcid=zymol%20vinyl%20conditioner|1200594668)rem ains the best conditioner I've found. It's really expensive (made from lemon seed oil and coconut oil and pixie dust and unicorn spittle), but when you get done the vinyl pops. Everything of theirs that I've used pops when you're done. I won't touch anything but Zymol to the leather in my Bimmer. It's awesome. I was hoping for something cheaper, but no luck so far.

cubert
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Bringing back this thread. I've used the Pledge for a few months now and my overwhelming reaction is: meh. It's okay. It doesn't really condition the vinyl. It puts a nice low-key sheen, but over time, you can see the vinyl drying out/getting lighter beneath. It doesn't make the vinyl any more supple or any newer looking.

Pledge is probably better than Armor All, but Zymol (http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A1535A0A0.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&s_kwcid=zymol%20vinyl%20conditioner|1200594668)rem ains the best conditioner I've found. It's really expensive (made from lemon seed oil and coconut oil and pixie dust and unicorn spittle), but when you get done the vinyl pops. Everything of theirs that I've used pops when you're done. I won't touch anything but Zymol to the leather in my Bimmer. It's awesome. I was hoping for something cheaper, but no luck so far.

hmmm...ill have to look into this stuff for the TL seats..

86ccord
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
i found some new tire shine stuff, it works really well IMO.. its called No Touch Extreme Shine.. and oh boy does it shine!! i like it.

frantik
01-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i use the armor all wipes on the dash and all plastic and they rock.. the interior still looks good to me

codyJDM
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
i use the armor all wipes on the dash and all plastic and they rock.. the interior still looks good to me

x2, not a crack in my interior and I use armor all fairly often. Used to use it religiously in my GSR which had leather stuff everywhere and never had a problem.

stat1K
01-24-2009, 01:05 AM
x2, not a crack in my interior and I use armor all fairly often. Used to use it religiously in my GSR which had leather stuff everywhere and never had a problem.

what db said prior, your car begins to crave it, so if you use it fairly often or religiously you probably won't have a problem. soap and water is best for cleaning, pledge can't hurt from what i see...