AccordB20A
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
repost but thats good for the people that missed it but thats so cool

A18A
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
i always thought that was for a 2g, oh well, i jsut got educated lol

2ndGenGuy
10-19-2008, 06:20 PM
What's that thing called again? The Electro-roticulator or something?

Hazwan
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
What's that thing called again? The Electro-roticulator or something?

Electro gyrocator.

LxAcc510
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aat...NO way.

haridev
10-19-2008, 11:03 PM
yup.... hazwan just showed me the wikipedia page recently. kindda cool!! i wonder if anyone has actually seen1in person. it cost a bomb in its day. and its expensive by todays standards as well. also, i believe that if someone found it in sum part shop (perhaps hazwan), it would be truely priceless. knowing hazwan he would get it working somehow...and perhaps paint it black...hehehe...

81vintyminty
10-20-2008, 06:29 PM
i read how they work and its pretty primitive and simple.. has anyone seen one or know how much this option was in 80-81??

haridev
10-21-2008, 08:15 AM
they cost a fortune. trust me. 1/3 the price of the car itself!! im not sure if anyone has ever seen it. to me it seems like some myth...or legend. and if anyone has seen it or owns it, i believe he would be a god in

...."If you've balked at the prices automakers are charging for integrated navigation systems, you should really take a look at what ¥300,000 ($2,746) would buy you in 1981. That atrocity you see above was an actual option in Honda's Accord during Ronald Reagan's presidency, and while it didn't sync up with any satellites, it did help to guide you along in some form or another. The Electro Gyrocator, as it was so eloquently named, accepted transparencies of maps and utilized a gas gyroscope that allowed the map to move with the motion of the car and plot your progress. Once a certain map ran out of road, you just popped the next one in and kept on cruisin'. And here we are kvetching about whether our portable navigator has 10 or 11 million POIs"...

lol...

haridev
10-21-2008, 08:38 AM
they cost a fortune. trust me. 1/3 the price of the car itself!! im not sure if anyone has ever seen it. to me it seems like some myth...or legend. and if anyone has seen it or owns it, i believe he would be a god in

...."If you've balked at the prices automakers are charging for integrated navigation systems, you should really take a look at what ¥300,000 ($2,746) would buy you in 1981. That atrocity you see above was an actual option in Honda's Accord during Ronald Reagan's presidency, and while it didn't sync up with any satellites, it did help to guide you along in some form or another. The Electro Gyrocator, as it was so eloquently named, accepted transparencies of maps and utilized a gas gyroscope that allowed the map to move with the motion of the car and plot your progress. Once a certain map ran out of road, you just popped the next one in and kept on cruisin'. And here we are kvetching about whether our portable navigator has 10 or 11 million POIs"...

lol...

79cord
10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Just to put the ¥300,000 Electro Gyrocator in perspective, According to the Honda japan site Hazwan referenced:
The 1980 EX Accord saloon (upper-mid spec like LX) cost ¥1,275,000,
while for lesser models Air con was ¥170,000,
Auto-controlled AC was ¥220,000,
and Hondamatic ¥35,000

Though for the 2nd Gen it looks like it was standard on the top-spec. EX-R Saloons?

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd also kill to get that auto-controlled A/C. Yum.

lostforawhile
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
i'm still kicking myself all these years later for giving one away. :chainsaw:

Hazwan
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd also kill to get that auto-controlled A/C. Yum.

x2. How do they look like?

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2008, 06:12 PM

2ndGenGuy -> :slap: <- lostforawhile

Civic Accord Honda
10-21-2008, 06:42 PM
CAH->http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/nutkick.gif <- lostforawhile

1ajs
10-21-2008, 07:50 PM

:eek:

81vintyminty
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM

lol...
thats crazy!!.. probably worked with magents? imaging having to put in slides of maps while driving?? def. a jdm primitve part... even the modern jdm honda navi's ive seen are all calibrated for japan.

haridev
10-21-2008, 10:52 PM

dude?????!!!! why dude!!! why???? u just gave it away?? why?? i almost wanna cry right now dude.... please tell me you know where it is at!! dudeeee..... and might i ask, when did you give it away. please tell me it wasnt functioning.... or it was burnt or sumthing...buhuhu

haridev
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Just to put the ¥300,000 Electro Gyrocator in perspective, According to the Honda japan site Hazwan referenced:
The 1980 EX Accord saloon (upper-mid spec like LX) cost ¥1,275,000,
while for lesser models Air con was ¥170,000,
Auto-controlled AC was ¥220,000,
and Hondamatic ¥35,000

Though for the 2nd Gen it looks like it was standard on the top-spec. EX-R Saloons?

HONDAMATIC was cheaper than the A/C? was it because hondas patented the hondamatic themselves?? interesting...

2ndGenGuy
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
It worked off of a series of really really tiny gyroscopes. Basically they detected exactly how much you moved and in which direction based on acceleration. They were super accurate from what I read. world.honda.com has a whole writeup on it, and all about it's development, but I can't seem to find it. It's a great read though. I'm pretty sure the newer pre-GPS nav systems worked the same way, just had a digital display with the maps. I know with this one, if I had it, I'd make my own scale maps of my city where I lived. Just print of some transparencies on your inkjet, and away you go!

haridev
10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
i actually think that in its day the gizmo was cutting edge! i would do anything to have it in my car. think about days where we would have to hold up our map and drive at the same time. no doubt its FAR CHEAPER but its FAR more dangerous.... than the E.G. i think it was meant to be some sort of prototype but it made it to the production line. with all the development honda put into it, i felt that it should have made a lot more of them and sold them cheaper to the customers. in other words, if i had enough cash, and if i were to find one of those pieces of magic in some breakers yard, i wouldnt hesitate to get it and make it functional. (not before i strip it down and put it back together just to get to know its function of course...hehe...)

yes i too was thinking inkjet on some transparencies....lol....some weird 1g fantasy i guess.... i think the E.C. is the james dean to the 1geez.... it was soo cool yet it didnt catch on..heh.

lostforawhile
10-22-2008, 01:00 PM
dude?????!!!! why dude!!! why???? u just gave it away?? why?? i almost wanna cry right now dude.... please tell me you know where it is at!! dudeeee..... and might i ask, when did you give it away. please tell me it wasnt functioning.... or it was burnt or sumthing...buhuhu
well back then it wasn't a big deal no one really cared about the gizmos, it only worked in japan anyway,only place there were maps for.

haridev
10-23-2008, 12:57 AM
well, i think i know how you feel. i gave away the OEM cover for the radio slot on the dash some time ago. i can never find another piece again and i have to live with an ugly empty slot for a long long time... regards,....

clint999
12-01-2008, 03:15 AM
well back then it wasn't a big deal no one really cared about the gizmos, it only worked in japan anyway,only place there were maps for.

Dr_Snooz
12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
well, i think i know how you feel. i gave away the OEM cover for the radio slot on the dash some time ago. i can never find another piece again and i have to live with an ugly empty slot for a long long time... regards,....

Yeah, live with the hole ...or get a new radio???

2ndGenGuy
12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Ha yeah, I got a radio. The original one. Still no time to put it in. But before the end of the year, fo sho!

81vintyminty
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Ha yeah, I got a radio. The original one. Still no time to put it in. But before the end of the year, fo sho!

same here!! scored a clean oem am/fm radio im going to install one of these days, whenever i stop being lazy and mount my aftermarket radio in the glove box).. finally got all clean oem pieces to finish my trunk too...also scored some clean oem fr. door panels to get rid of the door panels i cut up to add the door speakers. i already installed those and mounted a small speaker in the dash.. think ive got 3 extra cracks from the vibration of the speaker though =X.. think im going to have to invest in that dash cap soon.... i saw an int pic of you driving your car on honda-tech, your dash is butter son!!!