PDA

View Full Version : axle replacement.. help?

1987AccordLx-i
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
ok guys.. my driver side axle decided not to like me so it shattered into peices.. now i need to replace it.. any protips before i mess something up?

how do i take out the axle from the trans? i can take it out from the spindle but idk how the transaxle side works.. clips or something.. help would greatly be appreciated

:D

(i looked for threads on this but found nothing)

HondaBoy
10-19-2008, 03:58 PM
i always just use a long screwdriver and hit it with a hammer in between the output on the tranny and the axle. if its a manual i believe you'll need a drain pan under the tranny output because fluid may leak out. anyways, the screwdriver trick has worked on every car i've changed cv axles on.

Civic Accord Honda
10-19-2008, 03:59 PM
hardest part will be unbolting the axle nut on the hub.
and idk about autoboxs but on a 5speed u just pop the axle out of the trans with a big screw driver

1987AccordLx-i
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
sorry i forgot to mention that it was autobox.. so is there a clip to take out the ouput shaft?

89T
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
no it pops out with a screw driver too, and take the fork off the bottom of the shock it will make it alot easier.

1987AccordLx-i
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
no it pops out with a screw driver too, and take the fork off the bottom of the shock it will make it alot easier.

oh good to know.. so the fork comes out easy? or will there be moderate removal of parts?

89T
10-19-2008, 05:26 PM
remove the 17mm on the bottom then the 14mm at the top and it should slide right out.
edit:remove 2-10mm bolts that hold the break line and 2-17mm bolts that hold the uca to the body. wala axle slides out.

for some reason i felt that i had to elaborate.

1987AccordLx-i
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
remove the 17mm on the bottom then the 14mm at the top and it should slide right out.
edit:remove 2-10mm bolts that hold the break line and 2-17mm bolts that hold the uca to the body. wala axle slides out.

for some reason i felt that i had to elaborate.

EEEE thanks alot man.. this is a big help.. tomorrow when i get the new axle ill throw it on with no delay.. ill update as it goes.. thanks for the help guys

moonjaw2002
10-20-2008, 05:10 AM
I have found on most cars that the bolt that holds the fork is rusted in and will not come out.It is just as easy to pop the the knuckle out and pull the axle.You will have to separate one end of the axle at the boot to get it out of the fork.Same to put in the new one.Mark

1987AccordLx-i
10-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I have found on most cars that the bolt that holds the fork is rusted in and will not come out.It is just as easy to pop the the knuckle out and pull the axle.You will have to separate one end of the axle at the boot to get it out of the fork.Same to put in the new one.Mark

thanks for the advice bro.. im going to get the axle today so ill keep updating as it goes

MessyHonda
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
i did my axles when my front end suspension was off...made stuff easy...also dont forget to drain the trans...and then after fill it up with Honda trans oil...its worth it.

1987AccordLx-i
10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
i did my axles when my front end suspension was off...made stuff easy...also dont forget to drain the trans...and then after fill it up with Honda trans oil...its worth it.

please tell me its cheap haha i heard oe trans oil is expensive

MessyHonda
10-20-2008, 09:40 PM
please tell me its cheap haha i heard oe trans oil is expensive

well it depends...i get mechanics discount since my uncle works across the street from honda. i paid like 3 bucks a quart but last time the manager was in so they could not give me the low price and it was like 6 bucks a quart..but you only need like 3

1987AccordLx-i
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
well it depends...i get mechanics discount since my uncle works across the street from honda. i paid like 3 bucks a quart but last time the manager was in so they could not give me the low price and it was like 6 bucks a quart..but you only need like 3

3 quarts will be good? also i have Lucas Trans Fix... idk if you guys would recommend it.. cuz my car makes a grinding noise coming out of reverse into neutral.. not sure if something is sticking.. but i dont like the noise

Civic Accord Honda
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
idk about the lucus stuff.... i herd there power steering fix would eat up the seals and fuck the rack up so idk if i would want anything made by them in my trans :lol:
id just drain it and put some honda ATF fulid in and if 3g autos have a trans filter replace it too (idk if they do or dont but i know most autos do)

1987AccordLx-i
10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
idk about the lucus stuff.... i herd there power steering fix would eat up the seals and fuck the rack up so idk if i would want anything made by them in my trans :lol:
id just drain it and put some honda ATF fulid in and if 3g autos have a trans filter replace it too (idk if they do or dont but i know most autos do)

trans filter eh? ill look for that

2oodoor
10-21-2008, 03:22 AM
3 quarts will be good? also i have Lucas Trans Fix... idk if you guys would recommend it.. cuz my car makes a grinding noise coming out of reverse into neutral.. not sure if something is sticking.. but i dont like the noise

you have an auto tran so you do not have to drain the fluid on those, just the manual because it will come gushing out on you when you pull the axle out, that stuff DOES not come out of clothes.
The auto doesnt do that.
The grinding noise sounds like the TV cable is WAY out of adjustment, Im surprized it even shifts half way normal. I would not use lucas in the auto box, no way. You can use regular dexron 2 or 3 and the friction modifier additive made for this.. or just use hondamatic fluid.. should be about 20 something bucks.
The fork bolt can be tough but every one I have done has come off, just spray it good with penetrating oil first.

carotman
10-21-2008, 07:31 AM
You're in Cali, the bolt shouldn't be stuck like the northern cars.

It's not a painful job to do but expect it to take an afternoon if you've never done it before.

ghettogeddy
10-21-2008, 07:39 AM
i would also suggest replacing both axles as there like head lights if you replace one the other is bound to go bad soon lol

thats why if on my car and they come in pairs i replace them in pairs even if one is good

1987AccordLx-i
10-21-2008, 10:21 AM
thanks for the input guys.. sad to say that i cant find the dang axle nut removal socket.. and the local parts store doesnt carry it :( idk what to do.. i need this axle..

and i had just gotten the right side axle replaced.. stupid mechanic replaced the wrong one when i had the A18A1 installed but the right sides new.. gotta get the left side which is the blown one..

and what is this TV cable? ive heard it before but didnt understand its function

LX-incredible
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
It's 32mm. If they don't have it take your new nut (please tell me you are going to use a new one) with you next time. I can't recall the size, but there's a SAE that fits. TV cable downshifts the transmission/allows it to upshift according to throttle position.

Dr_Snooz
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
take your new nut (please tell me you are going to use a new one)

It is possible to re-use those nuts by swapping them to the other side of the car (move the old LH one to the RH side of the car and vice versa). Just need to make sure that you have virgin flange where you need to hit it with the punch. I don't recommend it though unless you, like me, find late Sunday night that you forgot them and have to be to work Monday morning.

:idea:

1987AccordLx-i
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
great news guys... got the axle done... ill post pics up tomorrow because its kinda late to do it now.. the old axle was in bad shape man... i cant believe i was running on it with the way it was

evil88accordLX
10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
trans filter eh? ill look for that

you wont find it. its internal. the whole case has to be split to get to it. and with the grinding, how old is the ATF? is it low? both of these factors greatly affect how the tranny operates, shifts, etc.

1987AccordLx-i
10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
you wont find it. its internal. the whole case has to be split to get to it. and with the grinding, how old is the ATF? is it low? both of these factors greatly affect how the tranny operates, shifts, etc.

well the atf is in good shape.. still has the purplish new color.. but has a hint of burn smell.. the levels good as well... as far as the trans filter i knew it was inside but i thought it would be around the valve body area..

HondaBoy
10-23-2008, 01:33 PM
this is one thing i think honda screwed us on is the location of the filter for the transmission and lack of a removable fliud pan. why the hell havent they made a different design. i know plenty of honda autos that are in great need of filter replacement. most people will find it too expensive and end up ruining a salvageable tranny. my 02 accord needs the filter replaced, but it is quite expensive to have the tranny dropped and taken apart compared to other repairs.

Josh89accord
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd also check for your oil pan to have a huge gash in it.... When I bropke my Drivers side CV it ripped a huge ass hole in the oil pan and I'm lucky I caught it early enough that it didn't damage the bottom end.

1987AccordLx-i
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I'd also check for your oil pan to have a huge gash in it.... When I bropke my Drivers side CV it ripped a huge ass hole in the oil pan and I'm lucky I caught it early enough that it didn't damage the bottom end.

thanks for the heads up man.. ill check it out.. its been mysteriously dripping a decent amount of oil since the axle blew so yeah ill check it out

1987AccordLx-i
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
heres the damage guys...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/TOKYOBEAR8990/Image006.jpg

and off topic.. i found this sensor on the block and dont know what its for..
note: i have the a18a1 block with my 2.0L fuel injection

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/TOKYOBEAR8990/Image007.jpg

87roach
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Youch on the CV! As for the sensor, could be an aftermarket coolant one.. don't see it being much else.

1987AccordLx-i
10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Youch on the CV! As for the sensor, could be an aftermarket coolant one.. don't see it being much else.

yeah man.. the cv was toast.. and if the sensor isnt used then eh ill just leave it dead

A18A
10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
haha wow that cv got OWNED

greentee76
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I believe the sensor is coolant temp sensor for the carb ecu. The a20a1's have them in that same location but the a20a3's don't.

1987AccordLx-i
10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I believe the sensor is coolant temp sensor for the carb ecu. The a20a1's have them in that same location but the a20a3's don't.

yeah thats what i kinda figured.. on other news.. my car boggs on take off.. any ideas why?

1987AccordLx-i
10-26-2008, 12:21 AM
AAAAHHHHHH!!!! my flippin trans is going out now!! it slips going into second and high/low is wierd in 4th... is this a for sure sign its going out? or just something is wrong

Civic Accord Honda
10-26-2008, 02:29 AM
how many miles are on the trans? and did u ever nurta slam it in to drive or shift it like a manual? IE 1-2-D?

id say its time to do a manual swap.

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2008, 07:27 AM
AAAAHHHHHH!!!! my flippin trans is going out now!! it slips going into second and high/low is wierd in 4th... is this a for sure sign its going out? or just something is wrong

Did you adjust the TV cable? Slipping is usually the end of the line for an auto trans, but check the TV cable first. Also check your fluid level. Low fluid can cause slipping. Try a flush (or a fluid change at the least) if you haven't already.

1987AccordLx-i
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you adjust the TV cable? Slipping is usually the end of the line for an auto trans, but check the TV cable first. Also check your fluid level. Low fluid can cause slipping. Try a flush (or a fluid change at the least) if you haven't already.

not sure where the tv cable is.. but i made myself look like an idiot again.. some how the fluid level dropped to where it wasnt picking up.. :wtf:.. lucky i caught it or my trans would be :Owned:

but my cars got 195,XXX on it.. just rolled over to 195 today..

1987AccordLx-i
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
bumping for answers

A18A
10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
its the cable that goes between the throttle body & the front of the gearbox

headbanger
10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
try transx i run it in my honda at every trans fluid change.Because I had a lebaron that lost first gear and I put that stuff in an it fixed it.also used it in a slipping ford van and it fixed it as well I promise it is well worth the money.

1987AccordLx-i
10-31-2008, 08:20 AM
try transx i run it in my honda at every trans fluid change.Because I had a lebaron that lost first gear and I put that stuff in an it fixed it.also used it in a slipping ford van and it fixed it as well I promise it is well worth the money.

ill look out for it.. thanks for the heads up

its the cable that goes between the throttle body & the front of the gearbox

oh ok its known differently with the people i know.. Kickdown is what its known as.. sorry for the mixup.. but i have adjusted it a few times with no result... some guys i know think its the servos? or something like that.. that there sticking or something.. but i put some lucas trans fix and the trans is still running a little funny but its getting better

1987AccordLx-i
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
guys.. something new is happening to my 3g... i hear a humming noise coming from the timing side of the motor..thought it was the timing belt.. so i checked the tension on the timing belt.. its fine.. i got a good 1-1.5 inches of play.. i just replaced the water pump so thats out of the question.. my next suspicion is the oil pump :banghead: any ideas?.. ill try to get a vid up as soon as i find my camera

Dr_Snooz
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
"Grinding" is bad. "Crunching" is bad. "Clanging" is bad.

..."humming" not so bad.

Can you be more descriptive?

1987AccordLx-i
10-31-2008, 10:59 PM
"Grinding" is bad. "Crunching" is bad. "Clanging" is bad.

..."humming" not so bad.

Can you be more descriptive?

well i know for a fact i have rod knock but that wasnt it.. so far i kinda figured it out.. the belt on the alt.water pump. crank was a bit too tight and i loosened it alot.. and so far the humming is gone but now above 3k rpm thers a kinda squeal/loose metal noise.. im almost certain its either the bearings to the alt or the water pump

Hauntd ca3
10-31-2008, 11:06 PM
1 to 1.5 inchs of freeplay on a timing belt is waaaaaay to much.
it should be taught
lucky it hasnt slipped a stuffed you motor

1987AccordLx-i
10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
1 to 1.5 inchs of freeplay on a timing belt is waaaaaay to much.
it should be taught
lucky it hasnt slipped a stuffed you motor

yeah i screwed up on the measurements.. its more like half inch most.. is that good?

1987AccordLx-i
11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
guys... are SE-I's slow???? i caught a race with one and i beat him.. i was tripping out.. i have an A18a1 with the A20a3's head... am i pushing more then the SE-I? i know for a fact that he was running cuz i can hear him running the gears.. opinions?

MessyHonda
11-08-2008, 10:28 AM
guys... are SE-I's slow???? i caught a race with one and i beat him.. i was tripping out.. i have an A18a1 with the A20a3's head... am i pushing more then the SE-I? i know for a fact that he was running cuz i can hear him running the gears.. opinions?

they are heavy....i think they are like 2800 pounds while your 87 is like 2650

1987AccordLx-i
11-09-2008, 12:22 PM
they are heavy....i think they are like 2800 pounds while your 87 is like 2650

hmm.. makes sense.. power to weight right?

labeledsk8r
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
also if your auto and he was 5 speed you mighta had the advatage if you were doing a low speed race... the auto can get off the line better then a 5 anytime and if it shifts right it can stay ahead of him..

rfiks
11-09-2008, 11:21 PM
do u get high compression when u run a18 HEAD and a20 BLOCK???

1987AccordLx-i
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
also if your auto and he was 5 speed you mighta had the advatage if you were doing a low speed race... the auto can get off the line better then a 5 anytime and if it shifts right it can stay ahead of him..

yeah i tuned my trans to shift right at redline

1987AccordLx-i
11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
do u get high compression when u run a18 HEAD and a20 BLOCK???

actually its the other way around.. im running the A20a3 head on the A18a1 block.. and i really lost a bit of compression with it but the setup still works very good.. idk how the scale goes on compression but someone worked out the math for me and it came out to .3 compression that i lost

EDIT: but if you are going to run a A18 head on the A20 block i would suppose it would up the compression... im not so sure on this as ive never done it before

rfiks
11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah i tuned my trans to shift right at redline

u gota auto right? howd u tune yer trans 2 shift at redline???

1987AccordLx-i
11-10-2008, 07:32 PM
u gota auto right? howd u tune yer trans 2 shift at redline???

yup.. autobox.. i messed with the cable coming off the throttle body going to the trans.. adjusting it.. shifts perfetly now.. right in powerband =]

EDIT: this process takes a while to do cuz once you adjust it you have to do a full power run.. if you dont like it.. keep adjusting it and do full power runs.. hope this info helps!

rfiks
11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
cool! thanks dude!

1987AccordLx-i
11-10-2008, 07:59 PM
cool! thanks dude!

no prob bro.. took me a good day to get it right.. made it rev to high then too low then finally after hours of tuning i got it right where i want it.. just dont go to far and bust 6500rpm runs.. not good on the motor

l75eya
11-13-2008, 06:26 PM
no prob bro.. took me a good day to get it right.. made it rev to high then too low then finally after hours of tuning i got it right where i want it.. just dont go to far and bust 6500rpm runs.. not good on the motor

I hear you there, man. Fine tuning that cable was not exactly a pain in the ass, but just very time-staking because even turning the adjustment nut one thread makes a difference, so I wound up making it as tight as possible, testing it, and loosening it one thread at a time and checking it again.
It was really funny driving it with it at maximum tension lol, it wouldn't shift from 1st to second until about 5k with my foot barely on the pedal lmao
After 3 or 4 more adjustments, though, I got it RIGHT where it needs to be, it's perfect. I'm happy. Now instead of my car doing 0-60 in about 18 seconds it does it in about 15. I have harnessed the power :D

1987AccordLx-i
11-13-2008, 11:10 PM
I hear you there, man. Fine tuning that cable was not exactly a pain in the ass, but just very time-staking because even turning the adjustment nut one thread makes a difference, so I wound up making it as tight as possible, testing it, and loosening it one thread at a time and checking it again.
It was really funny driving it with it at maximum tension lol, it wouldn't shift from 1st to second until about 5k with my foot barely on the pedal lmao
After 3 or 4 more adjustments, though, I got it RIGHT where it needs to be, it's perfect. I'm happy. Now instead of my car doing 0-60 in about 18 seconds it does it in about 15. I have harnessed the power :D

rock on man!:rockon: cabe adjustments ftw!

labeledsk8r
11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
i know this thread has gone way off topic but do any of you old school members remember the TV cable mod were you could controle the cable via a pedal on the floorboard? its from sooo long ago so hopefully someone will remember... sorry for offtopic

1987AccordLx-i
11-13-2008, 11:20 PM
i know this thread has gone way off topic but do any of you old school members remember the TV cable mod were you could controle the cable via a pedal on the floorboard? its from sooo long ago so hopefully someone will remember... sorry for offtopic

haha yeah it has gone off topic.. but ive never heard of that mod before..

Dr_Snooz
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM

I think you need one of these:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/13/great-moments-in-motorsports-adventures-in-throttle-cable-repla/

Heh heh!

1987AccordLx-i
11-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I think you need one of these:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/13/great-moments-in-motorsports-adventures-in-throttle-cable-repla/

Heh heh!

hahahaha those dudes are insane!

A18A
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
get a manual pedalbox and attatch the clutch cable to the auto box lol

l75eya
11-16-2008, 05:03 PM

That sounds like something I would do, too...lol. If you find it I'd love to read about that.
The more complicated a car is to drive, the more I like it.