PDA

View Full Version : lowboyz fully adjustable coilovers

evil88accordLX
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
www.airbagit.com
this site has fully adjustable coilover kits for our cars. they were added to the catalogue just a few days ago, so im thinking maybe this is a new product? kits are $400 front, $400 rear. adjustability is from 0-3". anyone know anything about these Lowboyz coilovers? their site (lowboyz) appears to be in german, i only speak english.
the airbagit site also sells camber correction kits for our cars as well, btw.

gfrg88
10-20-2008, 06:32 PM
interesting... does anyone on here know how to read german??

evil88accordLX
10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
okay after more searching, turns out lowboyz is a brandname of AIM Industries. the german page is just coincidental. i still cant find any other info on them, however, pertaining to spring rates and such.

evil88accordLX
10-24-2008, 10:43 AM
more research on other forums has turned out somewhat good results. volvo people seem to be generally happy with these coilovers ride and performance, as do truck people. miata people dont seem to like them as much, im thinking the vehicle weight might have a contributing factor. one thing that seems to bug me is lack of good customer service after the sale. that was about 50/50 on the other forums. and im starting to see it myself as i have sent them an e-mail requesting info on their product pertaining to the 3gee, still with no response. i will say the vehicle pics ive seen them on do look most bad ass, all dropped in the weeds.

evil88accordLX
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
finally got some info back on the coilovers:

"we make them for all models of the accord. the spring rates are stiffer, but they are not any type of performance coilover. they are for simply having the ability to adjust the suspension. we make them with medium charge cartridges to try to keep the ride as comfortable as possible with the higher spring rates."

id still like to know first hand from someone who has them, but perhaps i can be the guinea pig on this when i start to get some extra cash ducks. sure seem a whole lot more cost effective than my initial idea of putting the car on airbags. not as cool, but i can live with that.

2ndGenGuy
10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
800-842-8789 1" to 3" adjustable Coilovers have a billet Body that slides over your OE Struts. Install new coils & make final adjustment to ride height. EMAIL for correct International Shipping

They look like coilover sleeves to me, not fully adjustable coilovers. You might just pick up some eBay sleeves and choose some springs with a rate of your choice for comfort.

evil88accordLX
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
the ones i am looking at are a full coilover, with threaded strut body, not just a sleeve over strut. its the only one i could find for the 3gee that isnt a custom job. they also sell just lowering springs, but screw that sleeve over crap, id rather spend a little more and get the real deal.

markmdz89hatch
10-28-2008, 06:18 AM
i agree that a full-bodied (or threaded body) c/o is the way to go, rather then the sleeved. ...but for me personally, I find it very difficult to justify throwing $800 at a very nice looking setup, but one that's no better than stock. For that price I'd rather be half-way on my way to a full race-prep setup. That's just me though.

If you want the looks of a dumped, or just tastefully lowered 3G (which does look sick IMO), I'd take $200 of that $800 and buy a set of GR-2's or Tokis (I know they're a lil' mo), and stuff those extra beans in my pocket for some other 'look nice' addition. So how do you get that low look? (Flame away people, but I stand firm on this position.) Cut the stock springs.

Thing is this: Everyone needs to know right out of the gate that if you lower your car, and don't have a stiff setup, you will need to be much more careful driving it. Avoid potholes like the plague, any driveway approaches that are built up, you'll need a slow entry on it, not just a drive&bump to get over it. You have to be careful on any lowered setup, but even more-so the closer you are to 'stock' stiffness (softness) as you're reducing your travel and thus have less room before you pulverize your bump-stop and subsequently run the risk of thrashing your strut perches.

Anyway, remember the real reason for an adjustable coil-over is to tweak the height of your car at all four corners. This was created on the race circuit to allow a suspension guru to use the height of the car at each corner to load or lighten certain corners for better setup on the given track the car is being prepped for. Most people that purchase these put them on the car, determine what height they want to set them at, do so, and then never adjust them again. If you put yourself in that bucket, then why dump more money into 'adjustability' you'll never take advantage of.

Now, if you live in a seasonal area (ie. you get snow) then I could see buying these to justify being able to keep the car low all the time, until winter comes, at which point you intend to raise it back up for better snow driveability.

2drSE-i
10-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Nothing wrong with cutting springs. Just do so carefully, evenly, and for the love of GOD DONT USE A TORCH.

evil88accordLX
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
not gonna cut the springs. screw them up and im carless. i decided on coilovers because after reading the "so you want to lower your car" post, seems to me that lowering springs are way too stiff for any replacement strut offered. revalving would most likely be necessary. so that said, after the cost of 4 struts, lowering springs, and revalving the struts ive pretty much spent almost as much as the coilovers. and why go through that much trouble when there is a complete product that does what i want right out of the box?

markmdz89hatch
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
not gonna cut the springs. screw them up and im carless. i decided on coilovers because after reading the "so you want to lower your car" post, seems to me that lowering springs are way too stiff for any replacement strut offered. revalving would most likely be necessary. so that said, after the cost of 4 struts, lowering springs, and revalving the struts ive pretty much spent almost as much as the coilovers. and why go through that much trouble when there is a complete product that does what i want right out of the box?

...I like your way of thinking on this. The suggestion of cutting the springs is a very cost saving way of doing it, but along the lines of what you mentioned, if you want to replace your struts, and don't have the know-how, time or tools to cut the springs, and you don't mind spending, considering the alternative of buying springs or sleeve-c/o's, and a new set of struts will put you just shy of that 'all-in-one' price.

Go for it, you'll be the first on the board (that I know of) with them.

codyJDM
10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I just looked at those full bodied coilovers, I had no idea any company made them for our cars lol. Make sure to report back with info if you decide to get them, if you like them I might consider a set myself.

A20A1
11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Nothing wrong with cutting springs. Just do so carefully, evenly, and for the love of GOD DONT USE A TORCH.

I liked my cut springs much more then the coil sleeves I picked up.

Hauntd ca3
11-11-2008, 11:45 PM
if anyone wants, i can get the part number off the springs in my si.
they are 1.5 lowered and ride real nice
they are made by king springs in ozzie